The Problem of Excess Deaths

There are still more excess deaths than expected across the Western world and no one knows why…

Excess deaths range from 5% up to 20% in Australia. The USA has about 10% more deaths this year than expected.

2 Likes

@DeStrider You open a can of you know what with this one. I think I have a good guess why more unexplained deaths, but I’ll defer for now. Having said that I refused to be one of the sheep that voluntarily went to the slaughterhouse (and this will be all I’ll say on this topic). I’ll sit on the sidelines and enjoy the show.LOL

6 Likes

I don’t think that they are talking about unexplained deaths (mysterious deaths) but rather the number of deaths that exceeded expectations. More ppl are dying than it was predicted.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Weekly all-cause mortality surveillance (week 42 report, up to week 38 2023 data) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

What is more likely happening here?
a) They (lizard jews from outer space) have finally decided to activate the microchips hidden in the covid vaccine but it only seems to affect a few ten thousend people despite very high vaccination rates.
b) Covid is still dangerous and causing excess mortality hence the importance of getting regular boosters.

7 Likes

Lizard jews from outer space activating vaccine microchips are pretty plausible as far as explanations go, but maybe, just maybe, it can be something a bit more prosaic at play:

Life insurance actuaries are reporting that many more people are dying – still – than in the years before the pandemic. And while deaths during COVID-19 had largely occurred among the old and infirm, this new wave is hitting prime-of-life people hard.

No one knows precisely what is driving the phenomenon, but there is an inexplicable lack of urgency to find out. A concerted investigation is in order.

Deaths among young Americans documented in employee life insurance claims should alone set off alarms. Among working people 35 to 44 years old, a stunning 34% more died than expected in the last quarter of 2022, with above-average rates in other working-age groups, too.

COVID-19 claims do not fully explain the increase,” a Society of Actuaries report says.

From 2020 through 2022, there were more excess deaths proportionally among white-collar than blue-collar workers: 19% versus 14% above normal. The disparity nearly doubled among top-echelon workers in the fourth quarter of 2022, U.S. actuaries reported.

And there was an extreme and sudden increase in worker mortality in the fall of 2021 even as the nation saw a precipitous drop in COVID-19 deaths from a previous wave. In the third quarter of 2021, deaths among workers ages 35-44 reached a pandemic peak of 101% above – or double – the three-year pre-COVID baseline. In two other prime working-age groups, mortality was 79% above expected.

Excess deaths are a global phenomenon

This isn’t only happening in the United States. The United Kingdom also saw “more excess deaths in the second half of 2022 than in the second half of any year since 2010,” according to the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.

In the first quarter of 2023, deaths among people 20 to 44 years old were akin to “the same period in 2021, the worst pandemic year for that age group,” U.K. actuaries reported. Younger-age death rates were “particularly high” when compared with the average mortality for 2013 to 2020.

In Australia, 12% more people died than expected in 2022, according to that nation’s Actuaries Institute. A third of the excess was non-COVID deaths, a figure the institute called “extraordinarily high.”

Death rates are lower, of course, than in 2020 and 2021. But they are far from normal.

In the year ending April 30**,** 2023 – 14 months after the last of several pandemic waves in the United States – at least 104,000 more Americans died than expected, according to Our World in Data. In the U.K., 52,427 excess deaths were reported in that period; in Germany, 81,028; France, 17,731; Netherlands, 10,418; and Ireland, 2,640.

What explains this wave of excess deaths?

Week in, week out, this unnatural loss of life is on the scale of a war or terrorist event.

The actuarial reports can only speculate on the factors causing these deaths, including oft-cited delayed health care, drug overdoses and even weather patterns. But the question remains: What explains this ongoing wave of excess deaths?

Life insurance data suggests something happened in the fall of 2021 in workplaces, especially among white-collar workers. These are people whose education, income level and access to health care would predict better outcomes.

The executive of a large Indiana life insurance company was clearly troubled by what he said was a 40% increase in the third quarter of 2021 in those ages 18-64.

“We are seeing, right now, the highest death rates we have seen in the history of this business – not just at OneAmerica,” CEO Scott Davison said during an online news conference in January 2022. “The data is consistent across every player in that business.”

5 Likes

Also you’d expect LOWER excess mortality after the pandemic because most people who were susceptible to COVID (older and diseased) died earlier than they would have on the first waves, so they would not be dying later when they would have been expected to. COVID testing is ubiquitous now so COVID deaths are fully captured. In 2020 many COVID deaths were underreported just from the scarcity of testing. So when they say the lion’s share of excess deaths are not from COVID, they know.

If someone can find the raw data with cause of death so we can see where the excess deaths are coming from, I’d be happy to take a look. But note how odd it is that white collar workers experienced higher excess death rates than blue collar workers.

4 Likes

Why do we not see this trend in the UK then?

No one knows precisely what is driving the phenomenon, but there is an inexplicable lack of urgency to find out. A concerted investigation is in order.

Or you do more than just read the clickbait article’s title and check out its sources like I did.

Q4 2022 indeed had 134% excess mortality - as much as in Q3 2020, Q2 2021 and Q1 2022. I do wonder whether the vaccines travelled back in time to Q3 2020? Pfizer sure is awesome.

This isn’t only happening in the United States. The United Kingdom also saw “more excess deaths in the second half of 2022 than in the second half of any year since 2010,” according to the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.

Did you even check out the chart in the post you replied to? There was a small peak in mid-2022 that levelled out quickly and it was lower than the previous two peaks.

I swear US conservatives have brainrot.

Believe it or not, people who were not as susceptible to covid two years ago are getting older and frailer. That’s the whole reason this forum even exists.
Besides, the excess mortality is lower in 2023 than in 2020, 2021 or 2022 despite the small peaks (from new covid variants).

If someone can find the raw data with cause of death so we can see where the excess deaths are coming from, I’d be happy to take a look. But note how odd it is that white collar workers experienced higher excess death rates than blue collar workers.

The white collar workers had higher excess death rates than blue collar workers since Q3 2020.

And hey, wasn’t the covid vaccine supposed to cause heart problems and kill us vaxxers that way? How could the opposite be the case?! Where are the clots??

It’s astonishing how antivaxxers can take a source that proves the opposite of their claims and somehow use enough troll logic to twist it to fit their agenda. Not like antivaxxers can read beyond the headline anyway.

1 Like

I don’t know man, maybe the rapamycin can help reverse that. If you think your charts mean what you think they mean, you might want to consider upping the GFJ yourself.

I will say nothing about vaccines on this thread. But the excess mortality is clearly not attributable to COVID deaths. Even fresh-brained uk labor talking heads will concede that much:

3 Likes

The first link is an opinion piece from Pierre Kory who got his medical degree from a Carribbean university.
It’s probably better if you link a scientific publication in a good journal explaining your argument.

1 Like

Can you even read a chart?

But the excess mortality is clearly not attributable to COVID deaths.

Why not?

Even fresh-brained uk labor talking heads will concede that much:

Let’s see what the article says.

Last year in the UK there were nearly 40,000 excess deaths – that is, deaths above a five-year average.
According to the Office for National Statistics, there have been about 170,000 excess deaths in England and Wales since the pandemic began. Most of these can be directly attributed to Covid-19 itself…
One, the crisis in our NHS. There were about 2,200 additional deaths in England associated with A&E delays in December alone. Average ambulance response times in England are now the worst on record, and more than half of patients are waiting for more than four hours at A&E for the first time since records began in 2011.

There seem to be systematic causes for the excess deaths related to funding cuts among others. The article they cite goes over other possible causes.

Stuart McDonald, Head of Longevity and Demographic Insights at LCP Actuaries, said that while part of the increase in deaths at home could be attributed to NHS delays, it can also be attributed to patient preference.
"However there are more sudden deaths where the fact they are occurring at home is more concerning. Waiting times for Category 2 ambulances - those for things like heart attacks and strokes - have been over an hour rather than the 18-minute target.
As well as these potential extra deaths at home, analysis by LCP Actuaries suggested that as many as 500 deaths a week could be caused by delays in A&E.
The LCP’s 500 deaths a week are based on an academic study which showed that for every 72 people waiting 12 hours to be admitted to hospital after arriving at A&E, there would be one additional death.

Extra deaths in 2022 close to highest level in 70 years - how much are NHS failings to blame? | UK News | Sky News

Despite everything, excess mortality in the UK in 2022 is lower than in 2021 and 2020 and on the same level as in 2015.
uk2

@AnUser If she could do that, she wouldn’t be an antivaxxer.

This isn’t a problem only about vaccinations either, about most claims or threads here are based on kind of poor scientific evidence or not thought through. Most things don’t work yet on here it almost appears the opposite.

It almost as if most things requires weeks of thinking, and some things an education, to understand…

1 Like

@Virilius being a model liberal you are, i didn’t expect you to use wrong pronouns man, that’s harsh. Very disappointed! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I will correct my error.

1 Like

hahahaaaaa I’m rolling on the floor laughing dude. I was being sarcastic… hahahaaaaaaaa

1 Like

I’d have thought my sex far easier to infer than my political affiliation or education level but clearly I’m mistaken (politically unaffiliated lifelong conscientious non-voter, if anyone’s asking).

Should have been smart and not touched it at all. But I’ll only reemphasize that a whole river can run between Jew lizards from outer space activating microchips and “nothing to look at here, just COVID still killing people.”

Whether you buy the “cuts to the NHS” or “cost of living increases” reasons given is your own Rorschach test. But extra explanations are needed, because there’s extra mortality to account for. And that’s just the UK. The inferences I heard made on the supplemental charts are such that I don’t see any point in engaging. If you find them satisfactory there’s nothing my worth while saying. Life’s too short, and for us rotten brained Americans, getting even shorter. I’m off to enjoy Thursday night. :v:

4 Likes

I would like to point out that relentless sarcasm is not very persuasive and causes unnecessary argumentation.

Consider stating your positions neutrally supported by facts. This group of people deserves a bit more respect than you are providing.

6 Likes

Actually, it may be related to a healthcare crisis. Due to the pandemic, hospitals lost a lot of experienced staff that has either yet to be replaced or been replaced by less skilled workers. I know that a lot of hospital systems are under pressure and failing due to various reasons (mostly financial). This may explain why more people are dying. The quality of medical care is decreasing. Just my 2 cents.

7 Likes