Stopping Rapamycin Before Exposure to Bacteria

After having 3 bacterial infections back to back, 2 of which I believe I picked up at the hospital, I’d recommend stopping Rapamycin before any surgery, hospital visits, travel or any situation that has a high risk of bacterial exposure. This is because of the immune suppression effects of Rapamycin (and other MTOR inhibitors).

I’m currently on two antibiotics, one topical for my eyes (worst eye infection I’ve ever had), and azithromycin for the URTi. I do think Rapamycin probably lowered my resilience to bacteria and enabled my infections.

Thank goodness for modern antibiotics! Fortunately, each of the infections is only moderate in intensity, but still highly annoying. (Although I was worried when I couldn’t open my right eye due to mucus sealing it shut! Had to pry it open with my fingers.)

But I do wonder if these infections could be life threatening for the elderly 80+ yo population as pneumonia becomes a leading cause of death at this age and up.

9 Likes

Were you in the hospital for treatment yourself, or just visiting for a short period? Hospitals definitely are dangerous places for infections.

4 Likes

The first time I went to the hospital was for my annual physical and blood work. However there were a ton of patients coughing with URTIs and the very next day I was sick. The next time I went in was to get treated for the bacterial infections from the first visit.

It does seem that I get sick if I visit the doctors office (for a prescription or taking a family member) most of the time when I am not sick.

It’s just something to be aware of and plan for if possible. I’ll be stopping Rapamycin a couple weeks before my next physical!

3 Likes

What dose have you been taking, how often, with or without GFJ? You used to use very high doses before, in the past?

When I took rapamycin I did think about not taking it before possible exposure.
Why are you in hospitals so often? Can’t you visit a doctor in a non-hospital setting? Is it a HK thing?

2 Likes

Are you sure that the URI was bacterial? Common for antibiotics to be prescribed for URI that is likely viral. I suspect Rapamycin also increases susceptibility to viral infections.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree with Dr. Karl on the likelihood of conjunctivitis plus respiratory infection simulataneously occurring, being bacterial is very low. If you have severe eye involvement, Adenovirus would be the most common cause. Most severe viral conjunctivitis has pre-auricular adenopathy (a small palpable, usually tender lymph node just in front of the opening to your ear canal on your face).

I believe the experience is Rapamycin improves T cell immunity, which is why I think in general it is good for older individuals to consider this agent. We have seen people on rapamycin less likely to sucumb to viral infections, and I suspect, given the similar mechanisms to probably do a better job surveiling for and removing early malignancies.

Erosion of T cell immunity is part of aging, and the dysfunction that occurs is likely at least a component of why elderly individuals are more likely to sucumb to viral infections and get malignancy - at least this is one theory.

I personally work 3 x 12 hour shifts weekly, in the ER currently, wear no mask, and get exposed to covid, influenza and every other virus as much as possible. Haven’t had a symptomatic respiratory illness in over a year despite what would have a to be at least 500 exposures. This is all while on Rapamycin.

4 Likes

I had a URTi for several days. I took antibiotics for 3 days and it cleared up. The next day I went to the hospital for my annual checkup and blood draw. The next day I had chills, sore throat and a cough. I went back to the hospital for treatment. Doctor thought it was viral so gave me some symptomatic meds like cough syrup and antiinflammatory meds. 3 days later I was coughing up a lot of thick green and yellow phlegm and had a hacking cough. I had a influenza, COVID and RSV test done. All negative. The doctor gave me 5 days of antibiotics and antibiotic eye drops. Everything is clearing up nicely on the antibiotics although I still have a cough and phlegm. Eyes are almost cured though.

IMHO they were probably bacterial even though they may have started as viral infections. However it is truly rare for me to have so many infections so close together.

The conjunctivitis had a yellow sticky mucusal discharge which led the doctor to believe it was bacterial. Viral conjunctivitis usually has a clear discharge.

Prior to the start of these infections, I had taken 4 mg of Rapamycin + GFJ. However I stopped taking Rapamycin for the past week and a half so that my body can fight these infections off better. I’ll restart after I’ve recovered fully.

@AnUser this is the Easter holiday and a lot of the non-hospital doctors are closed and the docs are on vacation. The hospital is the only place you can get treated right now.

@DrFraser I’m glad you have a strong immune system and haven’t gotten sick. For some reason, I tend to get a URTI or two each year and in the past they could take several months to clear up. Nowadays, after taking Rapamycin and other supplements, they tend to clear up within weeks. It could also be that Hong Kong is packed with people in close quarters (especially on public trains and busses) as well as poor air quality. A home air purifier has also helped me recover quicker.

2 Likes