Statin use inhibits vitamin K2

I read that Statin use inhibits vitamin K2, which would promote atherosclerosis. What do rapamycin users do when their cholesterol is high? It also inhibits selenium.

Statins stimulate atherosclerosis and heart failure: pharmacological mechanisms - PubMed statin use inhibits vitamin K2

1 Like

I’ d stick to the dutch cholesterol guidelines which even for the <70 has no upper limit for LDL when there are no other cardiovascular risk factors…

(in dutch but probably not to hard to understand)

2 Likes

Its an interesting thought, but I would have thought statin usage would impact negatively on ACM if it is an issue. Although I tried RYR for a bit I have not used a statin otherwise for about 20 years.

I think you can take a statin plus K2 plus coq10. It doesn’t stop them from working I think it just stops the production somehow. Tam explains it in a video with Ivor Cummins talking about a product he’s now making.

But I agree with Arhu, sugar and carbs are the enemy, high cholesterol maybe not so much. I’m not a doctor though and I may be biased.

3 Likes

From the studies, taking a statin without supplementing vitamin K2 decreases ASCVD rates and lowers all cause mortality. But you can and should still take vitamin K2 (and selenium and coq10) with or without a statin.
This is such a bad argument against statin use, almost as bad as the “if you don’t go out into the sun and get skin cancer you’ll have low vitamin D levels”. Supplements exist and are cheap.

7 Likes

Compare diabetes mortality rates to deaths from heart attacks or strokes. While diabetes is a risk factor for ASCVD, high apoB is the worst offender, followed by high blood pressure and inflammation.

5 Likes

That paper was published (in 2015) by Harumi Okuyama. If you google them a bit you will find that they have an extreme anti-statin agenda. It’s pretty much all they write about.

4 Likes

https://www.healthandscience.eu/us/archive-us/article-archive/3005-the-link-between-statins-atherosclerosis-and-lack-of-vitamin-k-us I don’t think the fact that it was written in 2015 discredits the link here is a more recent article that states the same thing.

We’re going in circles here because that article cites the original 2015 paper as one of its sources.

As a long term statin user here (80mg Atorvastatin) I also supplement K2, CoQ10 and selenium daily amongst other things. I haven’t had any deficiencies flagged. I was prescribed statins after getting a bad CAC score just over three years ago. I’ve had elevated LDL cholesterol ever since I was first tested over 30 years ago (it’s genetic, not dietary). I was foolish and opted not to take statins when my condition was first diagnosed, a fact I very much regret now since I developed atherosclerosis by not lowering my LDL.

10 Likes

Statin use lowers risk of major cardiac events yet increases calcification at the same time. A bit of a paradox.

“Statin therapy modestly accelerates calcification of plaques leading to more stable, lower-risk compositions and sometimes an acceleration of Agatston CAC score progression.10-16 The prognostic utility of CAC in statin users is not well characterized.”

2 Likes

The last thing you want is loose plaque, that’s how you get a heart attack or stroke.
Statins are always most important for preventing the plaque in the first place.
It requires “Extreme” lowering of LDL or apoB. Probably requires a PCSK9 inhibitor as well.

See Peter Diamandis Longevity Guide.

I am getting nervous as I start thinking about this. I have to nuke my apoB! I might just pay up to get an injection of 150 mg / monthly of Praluent, pay for it for a few years and then it’ll be cheaper as it goes generic. Time to reduce other expenses and get serious about this for my part.

5 Likes

In my research of statins, I have found other alternatives that look promising (I am statin intolerant). I am currently taking ezetimibe which works similar to acarbose by preventing your digestive tract from absorbing LDL. It should lower LDL by 10-20% (15% most likely)

Something that looks even better than a statin is bempedoic acid which reduces LDL by 40% but is a bit pricier than ezetimibe. It has the same effects as a statin, but doesn’t affect the muscles. Even better than that is the injection Repatha (PCSK9 inihibitor) but it is quite expensive. (There are also fibrates like gemfibrozil that are similar to statins).

These are the most commonly available medications to treat high LDL that I am aware of.

In terms of effectiveness I believe it goes:

1. PCSK9 Inhibitor
  2. Statin / Fibrate/ Bemepdoic Acid
  3. Ezetimibe

In terms of cost, it goes:

1. Ezetimibe
  2. Statin / Fibrate
  3. Bempedoic Acid
  4. PCSK9 Inhibitor

Hope that helps…

5 Likes

can atherosclerosis be reversed and by what?

1 Like

The best “hope” AFAIK is to try and keep LDL as low as possible (sub 40 in US units). That might help to reduce the plaque burden but I don’t think it’s possible to reverse completely, not yet anyway. In addition to the statins I have added Ezetimibe which further reduced my LDL and also low dose Colchicine which is supposed to reduce the inflammation caused by the plaques.

4 Likes

You guys are missing the best of the bunch, beta cyclodextrin. Gets rid of the plaque, turns foam cells back into macorphages and reduces inflammation. RemChol. Only problem is administration and cost.

2 Likes

This was posted elsewhere. Watch the video:

It’s made out of corn.

1 Like

Have they published a clinical trial somewhere showing the result and effectiveness?

1 Like

AnUser

There is a statement on the manufacturer’s site indicating a clinical trial, pasted below, with some weird wording. This seems to be misleading, since no trace can be found on the site of any clinical trial. There is nothing to back up the statement.

“The human trial of CAVADEXTRIN conducted by Cholrem has consistantly shown the scientific evidence proving the benefits of Cyclodextrin on mice also has simular benefits on humans. It would be fair to assume that based on the science, humans treated with CAVADEXTRIN would also experience a simular benefit of lifespan extention as the mice”.

3 Likes

If you go over to “Anyone taking Nattokinase? Why not?” on about October 12 you will see EricCross does a whole line of both alpha and Beta clinical trials. Alpha you can take orally, but isn’t the very best. Beta is amazing, but hard to administer.