Statin use inhibits vitamin K2

Also if you have not seen this:

This is the future of heart disease and a bunch of other stuff. Amazing that this stuff takes out the small dense LDL and crystal cholesterol from cell membranes and fixes foam cells and reduces inflammation. Basically a cure for bad management all around. Nobody cares because it’s too cheap to make.

4 Likes

Well this does sound interesting :slightly_smiling_face: It will probably take years before anything is available commercially. However, since he mentioned the fast track process in the UK and that’s where I am based, I have contacted the company to enquire about maybe getting on one of their trials.

1 Like

I would recommend that any statin user watch this entire video and learn about Number Needed to Treat. As a pharmacist, NNT is one of the reasons I think the pharmaceutical industry is mostly a scam at this point.

1 Like

The problem isn’t the pharmaceutical industry, it’s the government and the education system.
If you start taking a statin after you’ve had a heart attack, yes it won’t help as much. The key is in prevention. Earlier in the clip he says that people with low LDL levels have no heart disease, and what does genetic studies tell us? It’s that they got it by random chance, (randomization) which shows causality, and that it’s lifelong which explains to us treatment duration.

If you treat someone for 5 years after they’ve had serious and advanced heart disease with a heart attack of course it is not going to make a large difference. Meanwhile if you started 30 or 40 years earlier, that person is expected to never had heart attack in the first place? What is the expected benefit in that case?

4 Likes

Watch the above Joe Rogan video until the end. This is not correct. Secondary prevention (prevention of the second heart attack) is the only time I would consider taking a statin because of their antiplatlet and antiinflammatory properties.

2 Likes

I don’t think you should outsource your thinking to someone else, if you can’t explain it in your own words, how do you know you understand it for sure? I would rather talk to you not through a middle man.

3 Likes

That doesn’t change the fact that you are wrong. I really like the way this cardiologist explains the problem. I have had issues with statins long before I saw this video. I’m just want people to understand that they need 30 people to take a statin for 5 years to prevent one stroke. It just seems absurd to risk experiencing the side effects for so little pay off.

Set aside your ego and watch the video. It may save your life.

What is the name of the interviewee? I would like to search and read his paper.

1 Like

1/30 stroke risk reduction in just 5 years in a high risk group that already has plenty of soft plaque in their arteries vs 1/50 risk of (mostly mild) side effects.
I’m taking my chances :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have watched the video…

Disregard. I found it. Aseem Malhotra.

His paper is behind a paywall. The Panel review he references, which voted against the BMJ retraction, is below:

Findings

Nothing in the paper suggested misconduct or that the author had acted malevolently or fraudulently. Strong and iconoclastic opinions are expected in opinion pieces and can enhance open scientific debate.

Panel’s recommendation
The panel finds that the Malhotra paper2 does not meet the COPE criteria for retraction

1 Like

The Stephan Nicholls video mentioned in another thread on this site is also worth watching. Nicholls discusses the progression (or regression) of atheromas as seen with imaging technologies such as IVUS. One does not need to wait 30 years to see changes resulting from lipid lowering therapy. One slide in his presentation showed an atheroma becoming smaller and more calcified. This is not ideal. We would like a therapy that causes macrophages to clean up the atheromas and eliminate them without calcification, but you use the tools that you have.

Intravascular Ultrasound-Derived Measures of Coronary Atherosclerotic Plaque Burden and Clinical Outcome

https://www.jacc.org/doi/abs/10.1016/j.jacc.2010.02.026

2 Likes

Even exercise leads to increased calcification. There’s limited evidence that LDL levels below 70 can shrink existing low plaque but removing it completely is not possible with current existing therapies.

2 Likes

Where do you get your colchicine and what dose please?

Any idea where we can purchase this?

I use 0.5mg Colchicine. I am based in UK but I buy from Kachhela Medex in India.

1 Like

Thank you, for some reason they tell us that colchicine is dangerous but I have used it before for gout with no problem.

1 Like

Related thread: Gout Medication Colchicine Reduce Myocardial Infarction? 2019 N Engl Journal

4 Likes

I posted some links, but I have no opinion on it. Seems too good to be true… also not cheap.

3 Likes

Also there is a chance of permanent hearing loss. Apparently you need cholesterol in your ear hairs, and CD removes it. They’re talking about eardrops with cholesterol in them, but it hasn’t been done yet.