Spermidine delays aging in humans

I really appreciate this video since my last bad CAC I have decided to stop making half n half yogurt. I wonder if, since we are using bb12, it would still work to add arginine so that spermadine would be made by the bb12. Also just a little flax oil on top since if using trubiotic, that should be made into CLA.

I think I’ll try it tonight.

2 Likes

Thank you that’s exactly what I was looking for!

I’ll try two versions. One with just her formula, and another fortified with inulin (capsules, water, honey and inulin), hoping to increase the bacteria produced.

Spermidine - no positive results in this clinical trial:

Findings

In this randomized clinical trial that included 100 older adults, spermidine supplementation over 12 months did not result in a significant beneficial effect on mnemonic discrimination performance as compared with placebo.

Meaning

Longer-term spermidine supplementation with an increased daily supply of spermidine by about 10% did not modify memory and other biomarkers in a group of older adults at risk for Alzheimer disease.

3 Likes

It was a really low dose of 0.9 mg spermidine.

1 Like

Not exactly… its the standard dose for the Spermidine Life product:

Participants in the verum group received a spermidine-rich dietary supplement extracted from wheat germ (The Longevity Labs). The daily dose of administered plant extract was 750 mg (corresponding to approximately 0.9 mg spermidine, 0.5 mg spermine, 0.2 mg putrescine, <0.004 mg cadaverine, and 0.12 mg L-ornithine) administered by 6 capsules of 125 mg each. As a comparator condition, the placebo group received 750 mg of microcrystalline cellulose. Baseline assessments were repeated after the 12-month intervention at a postintervention visit (Supplement 1; eMethods 1 in Supplement 2).

It states in the text that amount of extract corresponds to 0.9mg spermidine…

Yes - the typical dose (in Spermidine Life’s product - the market leader) in two capsules of their wheat germ based product is .9mg of spermidine. There are 60 capsules in the bottle, so 30 days worth of dosing at 2 capsules each dose (and about 1mg of the actual chemical spermidine).

All I’m saying is that this is the typical dosing that people take of at least this product. So its a respresentative dose of spermidine.

Frank Madeo, the primary author of the study, is one of the founders of Spermidine Life - the first company to come out with a spermidine product.

2 Likes

I am taking around 10-20x this dose daily. I use chlorella in my morning smoothie.

2 Likes

So yes, your results may be different than in this study. It would be nice for them to do another study at this higher dose. I wonder if that will happen, given the negative results at these preliminary levels (where they obviously thought they’d get a result)…

This issue is that to get 10 or 20X the level, with the typical spermidine capsule product, you’d be taking 20 to 40 capsules a day; which is probably more than most people want to take (most people don’t drink smoothies daily).

Yes, but I wouldn’t bother with a pill (let alone two pills) that contains only 0.9mg spermidine, I would rather snack on 5g of cheddar for this matter. Or just put 5 gram of parmigiano on my pasta. Do you see how absurdly little this? A typical Italian nona is probably using 15/20 gram of parmigiano on her pastasciutta as we speak.

2 Likes

And mango has quite a bit of spermidine. 3 mg per 100 gr.

2 Likes

“I use chlorella in my morning smoothie.”

Is there a brand that you prefer?

Average US intake 8mg, healthy diet estimated to contain 25-30mg, 1 cup of soy milk has ~4mg. So 1mg supplement doesn’t seem significant. Nor does the mnemonic test seem that good for measuring lifespan benefit tbh.

3 Likes

ITP stopping its test because they didn’t detect what they expected in the blood was disappointing. It could be effective by another means, or the rigor of ITP could have shown ineffectiveness which is also valuable data.

1 Like

If I recall correctly , it was 12 mg per day of spermidine that was used in studies that showed benefits. I use powder from Hansen Supplements, 12-15 mg/ day in my coffee.

Its possible that spermine, a downstream metabolite of spermidine is the key bioactive effector translating spermidine intake into physiological benefits. In that case, looking for spermidine in blood was the wrong polyamine for ITP to be looking for.

3 Likes

I mostly order Chlorella Tablets and Powder | PlantPills.co.uk but it has stock problems all the time, so I ordered some other brands as well. The study on spermidine content gave me enough confidence that any chlorella will have enough spermidine. I just make sure it is not Chinese and organic.

2 Likes

Puny amount (0.9 mg spermidine). Better to eat mushrooms.

Spermidine was present in all samples, but the fresh mushrooms contained significantly higher content of this compound than the processed samples. The level of SPD in the fruiting bodies of the brown button mushrooms was significantly higher than in the white mushroom samples (367.22 ± 14.19 and 266.47 ± 13.38 mg/kg of mushroom samples, respectively).

That is 3.67 mg per ten grams of mushrooms (367.22 / 100 grams to get ten grams).

2 Likes

a new compound to watch…

According to the study published in Nature Chemical Biology, the new classification of metabolite — acylspermidine — is produced through interactions between sirtuins and spermidines. Sirtuins are an enzyme family that is involved in many essential processes like DNA damage repair, and spermidine is a compound found in all cells responsible for life-sustaining functions. Researchers found that when the roundworm Caenorhabditis elegans did not produce acylspermidine, its lifespan decreased. This discovery helped to focus research into aging and age-related diseases like cancer, according to Prof. Robert Weiss, biomedical sciences.

The researchers first discovered acylspermidines after the Schroeder lab, led by Prof. Frank Schroeder, chemistry and chemical biology, created a version of C. elegans without the gene responsible for producing sirtuins in the mitochondria — the part of the cell responsible for energy production. This technique of removing genes is known as a knockout and is a tool commonly used to better understand the role of a particular gene.

4 Likes