Spermidine delays aging in humans

Another strategy for increasing polyamine availability consists in administering yogurt containing the precursor arginine and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis, which generates spermidine in the intestinal tract. This synbiotic combination of prebiotic and probiotic caused increased putrescine and spermidine levels in blood, decreased heart rates, improved endothelial function and improvements in the blood lipid profile199,200. Moreover, spermidine supplementation reportedly prolongs the anagen phase of hair follicles in a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial201, confirming similar results from preclinical studies148,202.

They call it by itā€™s proper name ā€œBifidobacterium anamalis subsp. lactisā€ and apparently arginine is a precursor and that is what turns into spermadine. I was thinking of adding it to the yogurt or chewing up a tablet. Have not tried that yet.

Ahhh, thank you. Some days my brain works, others not so much.

This is the japanese study on humans where they gave the yogurt to the test group and not to the placebo and they got all kinds of great results. Probably has something to do with the popularity of this combo in Japan.

They really didnā€™t give that much yogurt, it was a 100 gram mix of the placebo yogurt and bb12. They used as a placebo something that would die in the stomach.

I found Kirklandā€™s words of caution around senolytics worth noting. This is a good video of him speaking on the subject:

His section starts at 42:18.

3 Likes

Since Spermadine and Rapo are both MTOR inhibitors does it make sense to take both? Iā€™m thinking out loud if a good protocol might be 12 weeks of Rapo followed by 12 weeks of Spermadine, repeat

2 Likes

I doubt that you can place spermidine in the same classification with regard to mTOR inhibition, as rapamycin.

I suspect its a very mild inhibitor (I have not read all the research lately, but given the moderate at best results researchers have been suggesting with spermidine, that is my feeling). So I layer on spermidine right now just as a possibly beneficial supplement that may or may not be worth the price.

So my focus is on optimizing rapamycin use as its the most proven longevity drug and the most powerful, and all supplements (with the exception of Astaxanthin, with its 12% median lifespan improvement) playing a relatively low priority/importance for longevity in my estimation.

5 Likes

Some people here also take a statin to manage increased cholesterol levels from rapamycin. Statins have also been shown to be mTOR inhibitors.

1 Like

Are you eating one pack of Natto a day?

1 Like

I flip between natto (yes a whole pack) and aged cheddar depending on availability and changing things up.

2 Likes

New paper on spermidine:

Spermidine overrides INSR (insulin receptor)-IGF1R (insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor)-mediated inhibition of autophagy in the aging heart

6 Likes

Save your money if trying to supplement with spermidine :

High-Dose Spermidine Supplementation Does Not Increase Spermidine Levels in Blood Plasma and Saliva of Healthy Adults: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Pharmacokinetic and Metabolomic Study

5 Likes

Yes - this was the same result that Richard Miller reported at the NIA ITP program when they looked at it and tested it for 6 months in mice. They couldnā€™t detect increased levels of spermidine in the blood. This leaves spermidine as a large question mark in my view.

2 Likes

Is 15mg ā€œhigh doseā€?

Are we sure that its main mechanism of action is via the blood?

For instance, many believe much/most/all of acarboseā€™s longevity comes via how it helps remodel the gut and not primarily via the glucose modulation per se.

Never heard/seen Richard Miller address the equivalent family of points from Bicep:

Relatedly saw Mike Lustgarden just re tweet:

ā€ Out now! :point_down:Over a century ago, Elie Metchnikov proposed that #aging is caused by increasing #intestine permeability and toxic #microbiota into our bodies. In our last paper provides evidence for this idea.ā€

4 Likes

For me as well. Back to the drawing board with Spermidine. Ive been supplementing with Wheat Germ and Iā€™ve only felt that it was providing excess calories.

2 Likes

I have bought a small pack, but I probably wonā€™t replace it when I finish it. I am not inclined to just bin it, but I might.

The CEO Grace Lin Xu responded on Facebook to my enquiry if they are still taking orders and she said " We are out of stock now tks for the interests !".

Since I did not specify what item I was interested in, it looks like the company may have suspended operations during 2022.

Looks like using a Yogurt maker to boost the yield from the 1 billion (approx) BB-12 in TruBiotics is the only way to get a decent amount of BB-12.

1 Like

Just saw this today.

Spermidine improves angiogenic capacity of senescent endothelial cells, and enhances ischemia-induced neovascularization in aged mice

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-35447-3

1 Like

JuanDaw and @Bicep, After the NIA ITP found no increase in mice blood levels of spermidine following 6 months of feeding with the recommended dosing of spermidine, I lost most of my enthusiasm for spermidine.

Now I am interested in revisiting the subject. My renewed interest is based on the findings of Nutrients | Free Full-Text | High-Dose Spermidine Supplementation Does Not Increase Spermidine Levels in Blood Plasma and Saliva of Healthy Adults: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Pharmacokinetic and Metabolomic Study, in which they concluded: ā€œThis studyā€™s results suggest that dietary spermidine is presystemically converted into spermine, which then enters systemic circulation. We postulate that the in vitro and clinical effects of spermidine are (at least in part) not attributable to spermidine itself but rather to its metabolite, spermine.ā€

So, at least in my mind, the previous research showing spermidine benefits is redeemed and again seems credible. It seems likely that the benefits were simply a result of the spermidine metabolite spermine.

I also note that Bryan Johnson supplements daily with spermidine.

Are you still making the BB12 yogurt? If so, are you making it from capsules? It was last December when this was being discussed in the topic Spermidine delays aging in Humans .

I have a yogurt maker, an Instapot, and capsules containing Bifidobacterium, BB-12. Iā€™m ready.

What advice can you pass on from your experience?

2 Likes

Yes, I have some every day. I use the Trubiotic capsules. 1 capsule in 1 quart of half and half. I add arginine, but just 750 mg. Thatā€™s what turns into spermadine. I should buy in bulk and use more since itā€™s cheap. I also add a tbs of flax oil because they convert the linoleic acid into CLA. Miraculous. I use inulin as feed since you need it anyway and it does not get used up. Can cause gas, beware.

I go 98.5 degrees for 24 hours. 36 will make curds and whey, which is not bad, but not what you want.

Good luck, gotta go.

4 Likes