So, what's the deal with collagen?

You can use it as a rough estimate.

Maybe? I don’t claim any expertise. I found this, though:

"Results demonstrate that FS [fish skin] collagen as well as BAT collagen contains no cysteine and significantly different amount of hydroxyproline. In BAT [bovine Achilles tendon] collagen hydroxyproline content is 30% higher than hydroxyproline content of FS collagen. In bone collagen the amount of hydroxyproline is two times more than in FS collagen. "

Amino acid composition in determination of collagen origin and assessment of physical factors effects

5 Likes

Full paper:

Amino Acid Composition in Determination of Collagen Origin and Assessment of Physical Factors Effects

https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.07.013

Great paper, I have no expertise either but this seems like a big deal to me so I’m working on it. Thanks,

3 Likes

The limiting amino acids needed to make collagen are glycine and proline (hydroxyproline) since you need so much of them. So if you don’t have enough of these, you can’t make collagen.

Supplementing glycine and proline also works to boost collagen production because you can get the other amino acids from non-collagen protein sources. I’ve tried this approach and it works. Now I supplement both hydrolyzed collagen as well as glycine and proline. (Glycine and proline have other benefits too.)

Hydrolyzed collagen supplements typically list their amino acid content on the container.

9 Likes

A new study:

9 Likes

Yes, I’m taking >60g per day which is ~50% of my total protein intake. Low methionine, high glycine… win win.

3 Likes

" I’m taking >60g per day"
That’s a lot of collagen. I take about 20gm/day in my coffee. How do you take >60 gms?

1 Like

Same, I have 20g in a hot drink before each meal… and then often 10g before bed.

1 Like

Daily, I take a mix of 7.5 gr collagen, 2.5 gr MSM, 250 mg chondoitin sulfate. Some days I take the double amount.

1 Like

Collagen is high in glycine. But didn’t we say in another thread that taking the amino acids separately (instead of, say, a pound of hamburger meat) has a substantially different effect, and is imperative for the benefit? So can I take 60g of collagen instead of some protein and my 6g of glycine, or is this not going to have the same effect?

I gotta say again: I never got the glycine “flush” eating a steak until I took 3g of glycine separate from everything else, so I suspect whatever signaling we are trying to promote is lost in a mixture/conglomerate, and I’d say collagen is such a mixture/conglomerate.

3 Likes

Which brand are you using. I see collagen can get pretty expensive…

1 Like

I take 11g of collagen + 1 tsp glycine (4g) + 500 mg of TMG in my morning coffee.

I take 1 tsp of glycine before going to bed.

I pair it with 1.6g of NAC in the morning and 1g of NAC at night.

Glycine + NAC = GSH and reduced glutamine (a cancer food)

Supplemental glycine may have the potential for improving endothelial function, preventing cardiac hypertrophy, aiding control of metabolic syndrome, preventing the complications of diabetes, dampening inflammation, protecting the liver, and promoting effective sleep.

Taken all together, existing evidence suggests that glycine prolongs life by mimicking methionine restriction and activating autophagy.

This works for me, but it’s hard to measure exactly how much is enough.

4 Likes

Myprotein. Last time I got 2.5kg for £40…

1 Like

Was looking at Myprotein just yesterday and it was 25 EUR for 250g of marine collagen, 40 EUR for 1kg I believe beef collagen. But yeah they have promo codes all the time floating around. I might try it. Thx.

Go for marine collagen.

1 Like

What are the advantages of Marine Collagen?

Marine collagen is distinguished by its higher absorption rate in the body, being up to 1.5 times more efficient than both bovine and porcine collagen. Its enhanced bioavailability is attributed to its smaller particle size relative to other collagen varieties.

2 Likes

I don’t think it makes a difference after hydrolysation.

1 Like

Yes, that is what I am using now, but I use a high end product that costs 2 EUR for 6 grams. I wanted to add more collagen and reduce amout of meat as it seem fairly sustainable product since it is made of otherwise unusable animal parts in case of marine collagen, fish scales.

1 Like

When you add all those supplements together in your coffee, does it change coffee taste?

It does, but I enjoy it. I still get the same amount of caffeine and I think it tastes better than black. Almost tastes like I’ve added cream and sugar. Except healthier.

3 Likes