Scientists Discover That Taurine Promotes Anti-Aging

I will concur that when I sleep on my left side…my stomach is calm, however, when I sleep on the right side. I belch big and deep easily. Literally as soon as I flip…belch.

The difference is pretty dramatic.

2 Likes

Could it be that it is because your liver and gallbladder is on your right side?

Lower esophageal sphincter is pressured ( by acid )when sleeping on the right side and acid tends to go “up” if you have low acid and lower esophageal sphincter is not fully closed.

3 Likes

I have mild heart failure and I can’t sleep on my left side (I literally choke).

2 Likes

Does anyone have a clue on whether carnosine supplementation jacks down serum taurine? And whether it can offset a low beta alanine level?

As mentioned by Curious, beta-alanine competes with taurine, sharing the same transporter. And vice-versa. My beta-alanine, already low before, suffered when I started taurine supplementation.

It is carnosine, not its amino-acid precursor beta-alanine, that directly provides possible large benefits. Carnosine has a different transporter so no competition with taurine. But how much carnosine from supplementation is absorbed directly vs broken down to its amino-acids - thus competing with taurine - before getting reconverted to carnisine? Hard to find data on.

2 Likes

A starting point.

“Carnosine and taurine treatments diminished brain oxidative stress and apoptosis in D-galactose aging model”

“L-Carnosine and Taurine Supplementation Attenuates the Intensity of Diabetes in Alloxan-Induced Diabetic Male Albino Rats”

l-Carnosine and Taurine Supplementation Attenuates the Intensity of Diabetes in Alloxan-Induced Diabetic Male Albino Rats | SpringerLink?

The link below is a seller/supplier of carnosine, has some good information.

I do no have any interest in carnosn.

4 Likes

The answer to my question whether carnosine supplementation is absorbed or broken down into its amino acids is indicated in the following LEF statement on carnosine, linked by Joseph:

“Carnosine** is an amino acid compound found primarily in red meat. A typical red meat meal may provide 250 mg of carnosine, but this is quickly degraded in the body by the carnosinase enzyme. What this means is that even if a person relied on red meat for their carnosine, it would not last long enough in the body to provide sustained protective effects. Supplementation with 1,000 mg a day of carnosine overwhelms the carnosinase enzyme, thus enabling one to maintain consistent blood levels of this critical nutrient”.

I will try to find the evidence for the last sentence in a scientific article, but in the meantime. I will presume it is correct. That it is, is indicated by various research articles showing beneficial effects of high-dose carnosine supplementation, albeit mainly in lab and animal studies. It seems that if the dose is high enough, carnosine will be absorbed by the cells without break-down.

I will continue with taurine supplementation, search for the best carnosine supp, and not worry about my low beta-analine number.

4 Likes

Take a minimum of 1,000mg a day of carnosine if you want a consistent blood level.

And review;

2 Likes

Joseph: Whilst carnosine is most impressive in lab studies, sadly this does not seem to be the case for humans, at least for the brain. The abstracts for a bunch of clinical studies relating to neurology appear most promising. But a dive into the tables on the changes in the individuals after carnosine supplementation show weak or inconclusive data in each case. Maybe it´s a fault of the studies not being long enough to create the sought improvements.

Anyway, I will go for carnosine. My serum beta-alanine is close to the lowest point of the reference range. Which should mean that carnosine is low as well and bumping it up can only be a good thing.

Maybe the overwhelming of the carnosinase enzyme that I brought up isn´t crucial. If not directly absorbed, carnosine is quickly cleaved by carnosinase inte beta-alanine and histadine, and then formed back into carnosine through carnosine synthetase. If the latter is effective a high dose is not necessary for absorption. I will start with a 500 g dose.

Shamelessly plagiarizing from a Blagosklonny paper.

“If you wait until you are ready, it is almost certainly too late.”

~Seth Godin

I am not the waiting type.

The same is said of “rapamycin” extending " human lifespan.

2 Likes

Here is a new HealthSpan article on taurine: The Impact of Taurine on Lifespan: What Studies on Mice & Monkeys Tell Us About Humans

3 Likes

Love this quote from the article above.

When taurine levels drop below what is required, the repercussions can be widespread and severe. Deficiencies can trigger a cascade of malfunctions across multiple organ systems. On the flip side, abundant taurine levels are associated with potential shields against specific ailments, notably metabolic and cardiovascular afflictions.

This reads like a dream list for any longevist.

It reduced cellular senescence, offered protection against telomerase deficiency, and curtailed mitochondrial dysfunction. Furthermore, the study highlighted a decrease in DNA damage and a significant attenuation of inflammation.

And for monkeys

Monkeys supplemented with taurine exhibited several beneficial physiological changes. Notably, they experienced less weight gain, presented a leaner physique, and demonstrated improved fasting glucose levels. Furthermore, the researchers observed reduced liver damage, an increase in bone density, a decline in oxidative stress markers in the bloodstream, and indications of a more youthful immune system—all signs that taurine was improving healthspan.

11 Likes

N=1 anecdotal data… After a week of taking taurine 5g/d my sleep scores for the week have shot up to the 98th centile (previously about the 85th centile). More deep sleep and deep sleep continuity. And more vivid dreams.

5 Likes

The first time me and my partner took taurine (about 3 grams) we both felt a kind of “relive” or “relaxation” around the heart area “inside the chest”. We both were reluctant to tell each other because we thought that was a strange thing to feel. However, we had the same feeling. It appeared only the first time. We are both flexitarians. Maybe some of you had the same feeling?

1 Like

When do you take taurine? To enhance sleep, I usually take it before I go to bed or if I wake up during the night. But right now I have experimented with taking taurine in the morning, with a large espresso. And that seems to partly inhibit the sedation and brainfog.

1 Like

I take it just before bed.

I’m now up to 8g of taurine per day . . . But I had to ditch the capsules, it was too many pills to add to my stack. I got powdered taurine and put 8g in my morning blender mix. Absolutely no affects from it that I can notice, but will stick with it.

1 Like

“Phil_Van_Treuren, post:317, topic:3012”]How much taurine is too much in a day?
Side effects and precautions

One 2019 report suggests that the highest daily dose of taurine you can safely consume is 3 grams per day. However, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) suggested in its 2012 guidelines that you can safely take up to 6 grams per day ( 17 , 19 ).Feb 1, 2022"

"What time of day is best to take taurine?

Whilst it is completely up to personal preference, taurine can be taken before bed to help you fall asleep more easily. This is because taurine helps lower cortisol levels, the stress hormones in the body.Aug 4, 2023"

“Taurine is an amino acid that can help you sleep. It can act as a natural sedative by supporting the neurotransmitter GABA, which allows the brain to shut off and encourages rest.”
FWIW:
In my experience, if you have a racing mind and can’t quite shut it down for sleep.
Take a couple of grams of taurine followed about an hour later with a gram of GABA and you will get a good night’s sleep.
If you wake up in the middle of the night, taking .5 - 1 gram of GABA will really help to get you back to sleep…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

7 Likes

Taurine by itself for me really increases sleep. Magnesium Taureate at night can be very beneficial and helps me sleep.

5 Likes

Fresh off the presses at CNBC

2 Likes