Scientists Discover That Taurine Promotes Anti-Aging

8 Likes

Interesting! Here’s the article in Science:
Taurine deficiency as a driver of aging
Maybe this would be a good candidate for the ITP trials?

5 Likes

Not only lifespan extension of 10-12%, but also improvements in bone, gut , pancreas, brain, and immunity. These improvements were also seen in monkeys.
Incredible how levels of taurine drop by 80-85% in elderly monkeys and humans.

5 Likes

Anyone taking Taurine supplements and experiencing positive benefits? If so, what brand and what dose you taking?

3 Likes

I have taken it in the past - 500 mg caps. But now I read that 3 - 6 grams is the dose needed to realize the benefits. I’ll give it another try using 3g daily.

5 Likes
4 Likes

I have used it for over 10 years. In grams. I don’t think it works in milligram doses. I take 4-5 g before bed, 1 teaspoon of the powder. It’s supposed to be a mild GABA agonist, it also alleviates cramps. I have read that it balances out calcium and magnesium… it definitely seems to calm the mood rapidly. It also doesn’t seem to develop a tolerance, I’ve barely missed a day in 10 years. I like it a lot.

18 Likes

At around e15/kg I’m just going to give it a try, even though I already am carnivore i am reaching only around 1.5g/day in my diet, too little it seems

2 Likes

Looks interesting. What’s the downside?

5 Likes

I use taurine powder from Now Foods and I am happy with that brand. I use 2-3 gr before bed and sometimes before exercise. Please note that there are antagonistic effects between Beta alanine and Taurine. So if you want the benefits from Taurine, Then it might be a good idea to stay away from prolonged supplementation with Beta Alanine.

Research Breakdown on Beta-Alanine - Examine

"9.2 Taurine Deficiency

Due to taurine and beta-alanine sharing the same transporter, a taurine deficiency can be experimentally induced by beta-alanine overfeeding. One study on rats showed that this deficiency may lead to a greater susceptibility to alcohol-induced liver fat buildup (something taurine normally protects against[133]) by coupling a large dose of alcohol (36% of caloric intake) with a fairly small dose of beta-alanine (3% of drinking water).[126] This dose of beta-alanine has also been noted to induce cardiac effects in mice, including remodelling[134] and lipid peroxidation.[129]

In animals, this 3% intake of beta-alanine in water may reduce circulating levels of taurine by 50%[127] to 77%[128] and cardiac levels of taurine by 16.6% to 22.7%.[129]

Prolonged cellular exposure to beta-alanine appears to reliably induce taurine deficiency. In animal studies, cellular taurine can be reduced by up to 77% with continual administration of beta-alanine via the drinking water.

None of the human studies indexed on Examine.com (with beta-alanine doses ranging from 2.6 to 6.4 g/day) suggests a resulting taurine deficiency, but this parameter has not been assesed directly.

Taurine deficiency is probably not a practical concern with conservative beta-alanine supplementation (with breaks, to let cells accumulate taurine). Excessive usage of beta-alanine over a long period of time has not been studied in humans, however, so the possibility that it could lead to taurine deficiency cannot be ruled out. Severe muscle cramps can be a symptom of taurine deficiency and could serve as an indicator. "

3 Likes

I started taurine a few months ago in an attempt to reduce cardiac fibrosis and, by extension, atrial fibrillation. Starting taurine coincided with a reduction in the frequency of “irregular” heartbeats recorded by my BP/HR recorder. However, since my ablation my electro cardiologist told me to stop using the taurine as he wants to see any AF if it occurs. If I get the “all clear” after 12 months I’ll resume taking it.

8 Likes

Looks like if you take a high dose of Glycine decreases hepatic Taurine content. Hummmm, another supplement to take then to keep things in order.

5 Likes

Sextravert, source for 3 to 6 grams a day?

1 Like

I like Now - they have a good reputation and value:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-double-strength-taurine-1-000-mg-250-veg-capsules/39933

7 Likes

Looks like if you buy the bulk powder, it’s not expensive and you don’t need a lot of volume. 4 grams per teaspoon.

4 Likes

Rap admin: what dose you take?

1 Like

I prefer capsules so I ordered Nutricost Taurine 1000mg, 400 Capsules from Amazon. Less than $20.

5 Likes

I like the combo of GABA and taurine. They are quite synergistic. If I have had a stressful day and need to calm my nerves before bedtime, I take them together. I feel the combo is as effective as any common tranquilizers; Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin, (And yes, I have tried them) without the side effect of dumbing down or becoming spacey.

10 Likes

Have been taking Taurine for some time already. 1000 mg/day, brand Now. Don’t see any changes, but overall all my markers remain to be good.

6 Likes

I take the nutricost 1000mg as well. I’ve been taking one per day but after the recent buzz I upped it to 2! :slight_smile:

4 Likes