Researchers discover a potential cause of Parkinson’s disease

As crazy as it sounds, a periodic dose of clindamycin or similar might be enough to prevent Parkinson’s

10 Likes

”Desulfovibrio bacteria are the likely cause of Parkinson’s disease in most cases. The study enables the screening of the carriers of Desulfovibrio strains

Anyone know how to get this test?

1 Like

GI-map PCR based gut biome test by Diagnostic Solutions Laboratory recently expanded their panel to include desulphovibrio. Wonderfullymadenutrition.com offers the home test kit for $389.

2 Likes

Thanks @tananth

At first that seemed very expensive, but I see that it tests for a lot of other things at the same time.

@Neo According to the research article it is not enough to know that you have Desulfovibrio, you would need to know which strains; (D. desulfuricans, D. fairfieldensis, D. piger) were the ones indicated as bad. Also the article said you need to know the prevalence of the bacteria in the gut (low or high) because many healthy people without Parkinsons have some types of the strains at some level.
At least that is what I got out of my reading of it. Please read for yourself.
From the article:
" DSV strains isolated from PD patients and healthy individuals appear to have different traits, but it is not yet known how to differentiate between them except as presented in this study."

2 Likes

Got it. Will def read before taking any actions/ordering any tests (which may not yet be in place then it seems). Thanks @NakedMoleRat

The article actually says all those strains are present in both Parkinson’s patients as well as healthy patients, but they proved that some unknown genetic variation in those strains caused Parkinson’s : The same strains from Parkinson’s patients produced symptoms of the disease in a worm model, while the corresponding strains from healthy patients did not. The second tell was that the quantitative level of the Desulfovibrio in the gut of Parkinson’s patients increased with the severity of the diseases.

They used the same kind of test as GI-MAP (qPCR) to identify strains, and the differences must be at a lower level that can only be indentified by doing a full Genome sequencing, and even then more research is needed to identify the sequence specific motif that triggers Parkinson’s in 90% of patients. You can order a $200 test that sequences all the microbes in your gut, but you are pretty much on your own analyzing the raw sequence dump you get back.

Currently the best strategy is to probably supplement with healthy probiotics (like BB-12) to displace any Desulfovibrio strains, which are never healthy. Detecting high levels of Desulfovibrio in the gut is actually pretty easy : Those are the strains that produce Hydrogen Sulphide. So if you have a lot of farts with the characteristic smell of rotten eggs, a dose of antibiotics might be a good idea, even if you cannot be sure you have the specific mutation that causes Parkinson’s !

4 Likes

I have had two microbiome transfers and my gut microbiome is now very , very good!
The three sub-strains I am now trying to find out if I have them. On my homepage I have published everything! www.parkinsonclub.de (also in English)

1 Like

Thank you, do you have any thoughts of misfolded/toxic Alpha-synuclein and its role in parkinson’s disease?

The MJ. Fox foundation has also sponsored small vaccine trials showing it’s possible to build antibodies against it.

It’s seems extremely risky, but it’s possible to build one’s own vaccine in general. That might be interesting for biohackers in general. I don’t know if it would be possible to make misfolded Alpha-synuclein mRNA vaccine, covid was much easier.

@RapAdmin see the article above showing that toxic Alpha-synuclein seems very linked to Parkinson’s Disease.

Is misfolded/toxic Alpha-synuclein to Parkinson’s disease what LDL/apoB is to heart disease (i am probably exaggerating it)?