Rapamycin User Update after 7 months - Periodontal & Allergy benefits

What happens when you are exposed to an actual cat? before and after rapa. Any difference?

1 Like

Its interesting - For the past 2+ decades I had really bad nasal congestion/allergic reaction from the pollen every spring. Then I started rapamycin and have not been bothered at all by spring allergies (dust/pollen, etc.). Then I went off rapamycin for participation in a clinical trial the past 4 months - and this spring my allergies were back on at a high level. I restarted rapamycin, and allergies have gone away the past 3 weeks. A small sample - but it sure seems like the rapamycin has a very positive effect from this little unplanned experiment.

There is some research on histamines and rapamycin:

4 Likes

Yes, very interesting indeed. The next time there is a survey here or perhaps when you talk with Matt K and others about the different surveys of rapa users that they are conduction mention that they perhaps should add a question or two about this.

Thanks for the articles.

1 Like

That one and the paper below suggest that Metformin also can have these type of effects.

2 Likes

Well I was avoiding cats, since I had allergic reaction, which would be mostly red itchy eyes and skin rash but that was not the main problem. Mostly my nose mucosa would swell for days, first thing was snoring, later I might get sinus infections and since my immunity would drop and I would often develop peritonsillar abscess (very painful - not recommend). Yesterday I wanted to try how it is now. Went to my friend who has a cat and who’s home I always avoided. I had no reaction what so ever. But I have no idea whether it was rapamycin indeed as I avoided cats like plague for last years and consequently did not develop the chain of symptoms I described. Last time it was in 2020.

3 Likes

Another example, but still not sure it is rapamycin. Would be great though. I have EIA and have been using albuterol spray before running. Yesterday I was doing my regular checkup (once every 5 years I guess, but might be that I skipped the one 5 years ago) with my pulmonologist (that is why I had all the allergy tests done etc.) and one of the test that was scheduled was also ergospirometry (aka VO2max test). I always need to do it in the doctors office without using albuterol spray and my results are quite poor usually. I do not have results from yesterday but seemed that I was doing much better than usual without using the spray, maybe something has changed in regards of histamine in my body.

3 Likes

@Thursdayrome To reduce costs I’ve started taking my rapa with grapefruit juice and (sometimes) olive oil.

3 Likes

Re: periodontal disease (PD). Rapa may well cause a change in periodontal disease clinical measurements. If it reduces the “host inflammatory response” then gingival bleeding as well as pocket depth could be reduced. PD is caused by gram-negative bacteria that live in pockets, resulting in an inflammatory response including gingival inflammation and bone resorption. The bacteria may also directly cause bone loss. There are so many methods to reduce PD: excellent hygiene, local and systemic anti-bacterial therapy, nutrition, etc. so at this time, observational studies are needed as to Rapa’s effects. Hope we can start them!

4 Likes

OP is there a reason you haven’t gotten lab work? It is very important to ensure your body is tolerating it

3 Likes

I agree with this. It is very important to get regular blood tests done. Atleast every 3-6 months. Bare minimum blood tests I would get is full blood count, lipids, blood sugar, liver/kidney.

4 Likes

Hi, thank you for the info. I tried 3 mg of Rapam each week and my glucose levels jumped very high so I stopped it. I then started taking Acarbose with 2 meals a day plus another pill designed to reduce sugar and had blood work done. My glucose level had dropped to 96 from 120 so I thought I could go back to taking Rapamycin , I started at 1 mg for 3 weeks then 2 mg for the last 4 weeks. Recently I was having a good nights sleep but after getting up and having 2 coffees I was so tired that I had to go back to sleep for an hour. This didn’t make sense so I checked my glucose level and it had risen to 120 , that was fasting so I have stopped the Rapam again and probably won’t take it any more. I’m not sure if it’s related but I have had several itchy rashes develop and no OTC meds help , I’m not sure whether Rapam caused it or the high glucose level .

2 Likes

Just curious…are you a dentist? Thanks.

Just wondering the source of your Rapamycin? I’m just researching and ready to go. Just don’t know a reliable place to get it. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Barbara - I encourage you to review this section: How to Get Rapamycin, Where to get a Prescription

and also the FAQ: Rapamycin Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Maybe that is where my headaches are coming from. There are a few online lab options. They can be pricy but may be very valuable. I will do a follow up lab in July to see. I did try a finger poke lab test. After I got it I checked Quest and they say those tests are 92-98% accurate. It was very close to a lipid draw I did the same day. You get 17 markers for les than $100. My follow up is actually another big blood draw.

2 Likes

Hi , where can you get the finger stick tests ?
Thanks so much .

1 Like

I used this one - https://siphoxhealth.com/ I found some discount and I subscribed. Made the cost $84 as I remember. Then I canceled membership. There may be other places offering this. I may join again down the road. I still have one unused 43 marker blood draw that I bought. And in a few months I may try Lifeforce but it also is a membership that I will cancel after the labs.

Have you done any DNA tests? I decided I need to learn if I have the MTHFR gene for my folate levels. I am not sure which test is best.

2 Likes

An interesting aside, i was hospitalised last year for a severe asthmatic response to something unidentified and subsequently pumped my body full of effervescent multivites and upped my aerobic exercise. Result - have not needed inhalers for 3 months now, despite high particulate matter where i live.

Are you on rapamycin?
Mine is not a accute condition, but chronic and activated by excecising… (simply put, allergy to exercise :rofl:)
Since few weeks I have been trying to use less albuterol spray and results are mixed… there is some bronchoconstriction apparent hours after running, but not really the way it was… now it is just breathing a bit more difficult, but no extreme fatigue or coughing, whizzing and cracking in the lungs…

3 Likes

No not yet on rapa but had severe bronchospasm when exercising and now 95% gone. It was like yours, on exertion. But last time i had anything like it was when the air was very cold in the morning when i ran.

2 Likes