Rapamycin secondary effects

Hello all,

I am new to the group. I started taking rapamycin three weeks ago (3mg/week). I noticed I am always very foggy two days following it. Has anybody experienced this side-effect? If yes, what have they attributed it to? Rapamycin, I read, is also a potent antifungal …

3 Likes

Hi Tresdon, welcome to the site and thanks for posting your experience. Can you describe this “foggy” experience a little more. I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean your mind feels “foggy”, or do you mean something else? And do you mean that it lasts for two days after you dosed the rapamycin, or that it is only on the second day after dosing?

When you started rapamycin - did you start right at 3mg right away, or did you start at 1mg /week, then go to 2 mg/ week, and then to 3mg/week?

Do you take any other longevity supplements or drugs?

Have you seen the list of drugs and supplements that interact with rapamycin? Rapamycin Interactions with Other Food, Drinks, Supplements and Drugs

A few hours after taking rapamycin: very scattered brain. It subsides after two days. Third week, same observation. Would be curious to see whether somebody else has experienced it.

2 Likes

How much omega 3 did you eat ?

I did find this paper that mentioned some neuropsychiatric side effects in rats… not sure if its at all relevant to humans, but here it is. It seems more likely to perhaps explain the sleeplessness that people suffer from sometimes if they take rapamycin in the afternoon or evening:

Conclusions

Our findings indicate that anxiety-related behavior following rapamycin treatment was not directly attributed to mTOR-dependent mechanisms or stress but rather due to hyperexcitability of the amygdala together with glucocorticoid receptor-regulated mechanism(s) in this brain region. Together, the present results support the contention that subchronic treatment with rapamycin may induce neurobehavioral alterations in healthy, naive subjects. We here provide novel insights in central effects of systemic rapamycin in otherwise healthy subjects but also raise the question whether therapy with this drug may have detrimental effects on patients’ neuropsychological functioning during immune therapy.

1 Like

Interesting: chronic therapeutic dose of rapamycin induced anxiety in rats by unknown mechanisms. I googled around too but there are not many studies on the side-effects of intermittent low doses rapamycin. Nothing on fogginess! (which is not anxiety by the way). Bah! I will see if it disappears with subsequent doses.