Rapamycin might be bad for the heart?

An article from 2019:

2 Likes

Ornish completely destroys her in his lengthy response, IMO. She is in way over her head, but I appreciate the fact that she at least published his rebuttal.

1 Like

There is opposition in all things.

1 Like

As I have posted in another thread.

The real fact is, the Dean Ornish Program is paid by most insurance companies and Medicare.

The program is also used in major hospital’s in the US.

If it did not have value/benefits they{insurance companies, government, hospital’s] would not be paying/using it.

The naysayer may not like it{the Dean Ornish Program] .

2 Likes

“The real fact is, the Dean Ornish Program is paid by most insurance companies and Medicare.”
Would you please provide a citation for that?

Sounds positive…

The Ornish Reversal Program: The First Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation Program to be Covered By Medicare

https://www.ornish.com/zine/ornish-intensive-cardiac-rehabilitation-program/

Aetna considers intensive cardiac rehabilitation (ICR) programs (i.e. Benson-Henry Institute Cardiac Wellness Program, Ornish cardiac treatment program, and Pritikin Program) a medically necessary alternative to traditional Phase II cardiac rehabilitation for persons who meet medical necessity criteria for cardiac rehabilitation as outlined in CPB 0021 - Cardiac Rehabilitation: Outpatient. Note: ICR sessions are limited to a series of 72 one-hour sessions, up to 6 sessions per day, over a period of up to 18 weeks.

https://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/200_299/0267.html

1 Like

RapAdmin was quicker than me.

Thank you RapAdmin

On Ornish front page of his site, see link;

https://www.ornish.com/

Yes, if prescribed by a doctor, maybe your health insurance will pay for it if you are dangerously obese, but no health plan is going to pay for your diet long-term that I am aware of.

Does anyone in this forum have health insurance that pays for a particular diet? My insurance plans never have, certainly not medicare.

In any case, I am not advocating a particular diet for anyone.

My own thought is that any diet that you are on that reduces and keeps your weight/BMI and blood markers such as LDL in a healthy range is the one for you.

The biggest problem with diets such as Ornish and Atkins, which are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, is adherence.

Certainly, some disagree with the Ornish diet as being one that is not easily followed by everyone.

The Mayo Cardiovascular Health Clinic seems to think the Mediterranean is the best for most people.

"A perfusion of data has been published regarding
the Mediterranean diet and the use of omega-3 fatty
acids, as well as the common sense and National
Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) diets.
This Mediterranean diet plan has produced a
striking decrease in cardiovascular risk with decreased
cardiovascular mortality and sudden cardiovascular death.
A recent study of the diet of the Greek people
demonstrated that the cardiovascular benefit closely
followed the degree of adherence to this diet. “My own
strong preference is the Mediterranean diet because of
the palatability and effectiveness of this diet in long term
weight control and cardiovascular disease
protection,” says Dr Gau

https://www.mayoclinic.org/documents/mc5234-01-04sm-pdf/doc-20079051#:~:text=The%20Pritikin%20diet%20is%20similar,%2C%20cardiac%20events%2C%20and%20strokes.

4 Likes

In addition to Rapa, I’m also taking:

• Curcumin / Tumeric
  • Quercetin
  • Fisetin / Spermidine (stopped at the moment - expensive and unsure of quality)
  • Ca AKG
  • Urolithin-A

Bad idea?

Do you have any personal experience that indicates any merit to any of these. Personally I think Curcurmin and Quercetin have some merit. I don’t know about the others.

Be aware that these compounds may lower your effective rapamycin dose. See: Rapamycin Interactions with Other Food, Drinks, Supplements and Drugs

3 Likes

Yes, I would avoid curcumin/tumeric before dosing with Rapamycin as it lowers the absorption.

2 Likes

Hi DeStrider

Does this mean one shouldn’t eat curry before taking Rapamycin?

It might lower the absorption, so the effective dose might be lower.

1 Like

She also “destroys” his lengthy response.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I only ocasionally eat curry so that is not a problem.

Just don’t eat curry within 4 hours of dosing Rapamycin and you should be ok. Honestly it probably won’t be too significant of an impact.

1 Like

Totally disagree on that

More like She was chewed up and spitted out.

Nutrition science is an oxymoron. The studies are inherently poor and always will be because we can’t logistically do a great diet study. So all of the arguments seem equally valid. It’s all bloviating without substance.

2 Likes