Rapamycin might be bad for the heart?

Sounds positive…

The Ornish Reversal Program: The First Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation Program to be Covered By Medicare

https://www.ornish.com/zine/ornish-intensive-cardiac-rehabilitation-program/

Aetna considers intensive cardiac rehabilitation (ICR) programs (i.e. Benson-Henry Institute Cardiac Wellness Program, Ornish cardiac treatment program, and Pritikin Program) a medically necessary alternative to traditional Phase II cardiac rehabilitation for persons who meet medical necessity criteria for cardiac rehabilitation as outlined in CPB 0021 - Cardiac Rehabilitation: Outpatient. Note: ICR sessions are limited to a series of 72 one-hour sessions, up to 6 sessions per day, over a period of up to 18 weeks.

https://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/200_299/0267.html

1 Like

RapAdmin was quicker than me.

Thank you RapAdmin

On Ornish front page of his site, see link;

https://www.ornish.com/

Yes, if prescribed by a doctor, maybe your health insurance will pay for it if you are dangerously obese, but no health plan is going to pay for your diet long-term that I am aware of.

Does anyone in this forum have health insurance that pays for a particular diet? My insurance plans never have, certainly not medicare.

In any case, I am not advocating a particular diet for anyone.

My own thought is that any diet that you are on that reduces and keeps your weight/BMI and blood markers such as LDL in a healthy range is the one for you.

The biggest problem with diets such as Ornish and Atkins, which are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, is adherence.

Certainly, some disagree with the Ornish diet as being one that is not easily followed by everyone.

The Mayo Cardiovascular Health Clinic seems to think the Mediterranean is the best for most people.

"A perfusion of data has been published regarding
the Mediterranean diet and the use of omega-3 fatty
acids, as well as the common sense and National
Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) diets.
This Mediterranean diet plan has produced a
striking decrease in cardiovascular risk with decreased
cardiovascular mortality and sudden cardiovascular death.
A recent study of the diet of the Greek people
demonstrated that the cardiovascular benefit closely
followed the degree of adherence to this diet. “My own
strong preference is the Mediterranean diet because of
the palatability and effectiveness of this diet in long term
weight control and cardiovascular disease
protection,” says Dr Gau

https://www.mayoclinic.org/documents/mc5234-01-04sm-pdf/doc-20079051#:~:text=The%20Pritikin%20diet%20is%20similar,%2C%20cardiac%20events%2C%20and%20strokes.

4 Likes

In addition to Rapa, I’m also taking:

• Curcumin / Tumeric
  • Quercetin
  • Fisetin / Spermidine (stopped at the moment - expensive and unsure of quality)
  • Ca AKG
  • Urolithin-A

Bad idea?

Do you have any personal experience that indicates any merit to any of these. Personally I think Curcurmin and Quercetin have some merit. I don’t know about the others.

Be aware that these compounds may lower your effective rapamycin dose. See: Rapamycin Interactions with Other Food, Drinks, Supplements and Drugs

3 Likes

Yes, I would avoid curcumin/tumeric before dosing with Rapamycin as it lowers the absorption.

2 Likes

Hi DeStrider

Does this mean one shouldn’t eat curry before taking Rapamycin?

It might lower the absorption, so the effective dose might be lower.

1 Like

She also “destroys” his lengthy response.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I only ocasionally eat curry so that is not a problem.

Just don’t eat curry within 4 hours of dosing Rapamycin and you should be ok. Honestly it probably won’t be too significant of an impact.

1 Like

Totally disagree on that

More like She was chewed up and spitted out.

Nutrition science is an oxymoron. The studies are inherently poor and always will be because we can’t logistically do a great diet study. So all of the arguments seem equally valid. It’s all bloviating without substance.

2 Likes

I have never come accross this word before. However, I have just looked it up and it is indeed a real word. You learn someting every day. :smile:

2 Likes

Haha. Yeah, I was trying to use a proper word to substitute for the improper word that I actually wanted to say.

2 Likes

So my lipids have been high since my mid 20’s…I am now 59…not crazy high but in the 200’s usually…eventuallys ometime in my 30’s I got on a low dose of Lipitor and it got it down below 200…

I got a CAC score in my 30’s sometime and my calcium score was zero. I never really tested again and to be honest never really tracked my lipids super close. I started getting more serious about my health about 10 years ago and my doctor tried to get my lipids lower so increased my Lipitor dose. Two years ago I went to the Cooper Clinic in Dallas for a full physical. My CAC score was 145 and they changed my statin to Crestor plus added Ezetemibe and my lipids got much lower…LDL around 65 to 75…but my primary doctor was worried about the CAC score and ordered a coronary angiogram with dye…she said she wanted to see exactly where the calcium was located and exactly what we were dealing with…she had other patients where the calcium was a little bit spread all over and others where it was all in one area and creating a more significant block to blood flow…

I did the coronary angiogram and they found most of the arteries in my heart were quite clear but i had what they thought was a 50-70% blockage of the LAD artery. My primary doctor sent the results off to a company called Cleerly that uses AI to look more closely at the results of an angiogram. https://cleerlyhealth.com/ They said it looked like I did have a blockage that was a combination of both soft and calcified plaque. I ended up getting a stent and when they went in and actually measured the blood flow, the blood flow was reduced by 80%. I just tell you this to tell you my personal journey after the calcium score I received.

I had no symptoms and my doctor at Cooper Clinic did not suggest the CT Angiogram because I was in shape and had no symptoms and scored so well on the EKG. My primary doctor was more conservative as she had seen some asymptomatic patients with blockage.

Now the question is how do i keep my arteries from getting clogged again…that is the question…I am on 10 mg of Rapa each week. I take a few other supplements…I am now besides the Crestor and Ezetemibe I am also on Repatha and will have my first blood work in a few weeks to see how much lower that has knocked my LDL and ApoB…

7 Likes

I pretty much joined this group and have been working on this problem for maybe 3 years. My numbers are much like yours except didn’t get as concerned about the blockage to seek a medical solution. I did manage to lower my CAC from 323 to 303 this year… I will go through my stack and give you the reason I think it may help.

Glucosamine,chondroitin,MSM+Hyalurionic acid… I use Doctor’s Best and it’s about 1000 of each of those things plus some collagen. Malcolm Kendrick wrote a book " The Clot Thickens" where he questions the conventional thinking about heart disease. He spends a lot of time on the glycocalyx and he thinks these supplements help. They are longevity supps. Also many of them bind to lectins in your food, which is another possible reason they are longevity supps. That brand that I take says to take 5 pills/day so I take with every meal. It just seems to me you should take a lectin binder with your food.

Vitamin K2 and K!..I now take this from Life Extension with vitamin D and Iodine. It’s important to take both k1 and k2. It’s also important if you take one fat soluble vitamin to take them all. Chris Masterjohn points out that large doses of a fat soluble vitamin causes your body to send out the biochemical clean up crew to get rid of the extra and they can’t discriminate, thus you can get a relative deficiency in A, E. I take 1000k1,1000k2mk4,100k2mk7,125mcgD3,10000IU A,150mg Annatto-E from Dr Tan. That’s a tocotrienol. K2 helps put the calcium in your bones where it goes instead of into your arteries. A big deal, so take a lot, but you don’t want to be short of the other fat solubles either.

I take homocystex plus, which supplies riboflavin 5 phosphate,pyridoxal 5 phosphate, methylfolate and methlycobalamin, alsoTMG. This is because of MTHFR, but honestly I think most would benefit from it. It makes me feel more chill, which I think comes from the folate, but I also recently had a homocysteine of 5. A big deal if you want to avoid heart disease. I wish I could quicky elaborate more on the MTHFR stuff, but it has been a few years since I did my 23 and me and figured out what to do about it. Chris Masterjohn again would be a great guide for this.

I take Gotu Kola 500 and French Maritime bark extract 350, known to be good at keeping plaque from breaking off and killing you.

Arginine 750 and Citrulline 250 these are really good at keeping your NO in good supply. Kendrick says to say YES to NO. NO is nitric oxide and I used to take beet extract, but it takes a lot and this is better for a few reasons. This is getting too long though.

Vitamin C is a hugely unappreciated vitamin. Linus Pauliing said in the 1990’s that if you run short then that is when lp(a) needs to be used to help fix the mess. People say you can’t change lp(a) because it’s genetic, but mine moves around quite a bit and when I take a lot of C it goes down. Currently it is unmeasurably small. I take 1 gram 3 times a day.

Coq10, 3 grams of Niacin IR, and garlic extract need no explanation.

I use berberine, acarbose and a mostly KETO diet. I eat veggies and some fruit and beans and take acarbose with them. I would say low carb in any form, but especially low grain and fructose.

I really like the BB12 + LA-5 trubiotic for my yogurt. That stuff is solid gold. Add a little flax oil and the linoleic acid will be turned into CLA in the proper isomer instead of the crap they sell. I don’t understand how they can even call it CLA. Also add arginine to this yogurt and it will turn into spermadine. Magic!! and it helps protect your gut barrier function.

I’ve seen several places and it is generally acknowleged that most plaque starts with damage from oral bacteria. Read Michael Lustgarten’s free ebook “microbial burden and what you can do about it”. Some microbes are fantastic and we can’t live without them, others are killing us. Kinda like people.

I run 2 miles with my heartbeat around 130. 3 days a week now,used to do it more. I lift weights some, but not more than 20 minutes 3 days a week.

That’s about all I’ve got, hope it helps and hope I didn’t wear you out reading all this, good luck.

7 Likes

What does Michael Lustgarten recommended?

1 Like