Rapamycin might be bad for the heart?

There’s no biomarker that would be clinically practical.

1 Like

Even removal of senescent cells is tricky as they’re necessary for wound healing and probably play a significant role in cancer prevention.
Human biology is Extremely complex and we generally don’t understand what we’re doing. I try to avoid any shotgun approach.

3 Likes

That’s a good point. Actually here’s a study specifically about long term rapa use in heart transplants:

Early conversion to SRL (sirolimus) is associated with attenuated CAV (cardiovascular) progression and with lower long-term mortality and fewer CAV-related events compared with continued CNI (calcineurin inhibitor) use.

4 Likes

So this would infer that Rapamycin is a benefit for the cardiovascular system overall?

3 Likes

I have atherosclerosis. I take a supplement called Endocalyx which, in studies, has shown to improve the glycocalyx, the micro thin gel layer that lines the inside of all blood vessels which contributes to healthy endothelial cell function. Hopefully this will protect against any Potential negative effect of the Rapa

1 Like

FWIW…

Review this posting from July, 2022

1 Like

well I don’t know what to make of this…i had a stent put in my heart for blockage on January 4…the stent itself is rapa eluting…I am also taking rapa and don’t want to make my heart worse…a lot of different research pointing in different directions…indeed human biology is a complex thing…I may explore Endocalyx which @Pestodude was suggesting

3 Likes

what is your current rap usage…i had a stent put in my heart because i had 80% blockage of my LAD artery but rest of arteries were much better…how did you atherosclerosis present? I am on 10 mg rapa weekly…and statins, ezetemibe and PCSK9 inhibitors to reduce cholesterol.

1 Like

Years ago I had my lipids tested and had they weren’t crazy high but my doctor wanted to me to get a CAC test. It came back with a calcium score of 160. He put me on 10mg of Crestor. Had it tested again a couple years ago and it was up to 460 so I’ve been really trying to do whatever I can to slow it down. I have no symptoms.

I’m currently taking 6mg of Rapa every two weeks with fresh squeezed white GFJ so maybe that’s the equivalent of 20 mgs every two weeks.

4 Likes

Although some say nothing can undo the damage of atherosclerosis… some say nothing can reverse organ damage and aging… we know that’s wrong.

Rapamycin might not just stop further damage but undo the damage. For me after 2 years of rapamycin my Coronary Calcium Scan is zero and I eat a lot red meat, whole milk and snacky food… low on veggies and fruits.

I don’t have a baseline… so not sure why my score is perfect… heart of a person under 35 years-old. I know my veins opened up due to Rapamycin… veined out all the time… kinks and varicose veins gone. So its changing my blood.

Hope you get a good report… do let us know if your CAC score goes down.

2 Likes

I remember years ago that Dean Ornish was a popular guru when it came to reversing heart disease. What ever came of that? I haven’t followed it - but wonder if other books / programs are more well-researched and validated now? Any medical professionals or cardiologists care to weight in?

https://www.ornish.com/undo-it/

2 Likes

Its about facilitating the expression of long genes

2 Likes

well, i don’t know what to make of it. the video is pretty sketchy on any details.

I’ve heard Matt K. on a video with Peter A. say that we have no idea how autophagy really works to any degree. And people who say they undertand it are lieing. And that Rapa doesn’t do much of anything in terms of autophagy - it primarily quiets the SASP and generally tells the cell to stop growing and hunker down.

4 Likes

An article from 2019:

2 Likes

Ornish completely destroys her in his lengthy response, IMO. She is in way over her head, but I appreciate the fact that she at least published his rebuttal.

1 Like

There is opposition in all things.

1 Like

As I have posted in another thread.

The real fact is, the Dean Ornish Program is paid by most insurance companies and Medicare.

The program is also used in major hospital’s in the US.

If it did not have value/benefits they{insurance companies, government, hospital’s] would not be paying/using it.

The naysayer may not like it{the Dean Ornish Program] .

2 Likes

“The real fact is, the Dean Ornish Program is paid by most insurance companies and Medicare.”
Would you please provide a citation for that?

Sounds positive…

The Ornish Reversal Program: The First Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation Program to be Covered By Medicare

https://www.ornish.com/zine/ornish-intensive-cardiac-rehabilitation-program/

Aetna considers intensive cardiac rehabilitation (ICR) programs (i.e. Benson-Henry Institute Cardiac Wellness Program, Ornish cardiac treatment program, and Pritikin Program) a medically necessary alternative to traditional Phase II cardiac rehabilitation for persons who meet medical necessity criteria for cardiac rehabilitation as outlined in CPB 0021 - Cardiac Rehabilitation: Outpatient. Note: ICR sessions are limited to a series of 72 one-hour sessions, up to 6 sessions per day, over a period of up to 18 weeks.

https://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/200_299/0267.html

1 Like

RapAdmin was quicker than me.

Thank you RapAdmin

On Ornish front page of his site, see link;

https://www.ornish.com/