Rapamycin May Slow Skin Aging (Drexel U. Study)

Exactly…so I am not crazy about this… it’s as if I were still tanning, which I do for a little more vitamin D. I know it goes against all anti-aging protocols.

But, rapamycin seems to be making my skin less crepey and thicker so i’m abusing it. Lol.

4 Likes

Which body parts are you using it on? Did you make the topical yourself?

2 Likes

Are you asking about Rapa cream? I made it myself and use it on face and hands. I added though other ingredients to it, like Metformin, l-carnosine, NMN. Not sure if it works. Don’t see any immediate changes, and the reason could be that I didn’t have any obvious problems to start with.

2 Likes

Any opinions on ultrasound devices and penetration of Topicals? I also don’t know, if the US can damage the rapamycin molecules.

all the founders of OneSkin are from Brazil; so their secret ingredient is rapamycin actually?

1 Like

I also noticed that after using rapamycin for a year, my melasma worsened and my skin turned black. So, my rapamycin has also been reduced and I have started using supplements that fight against melanin.

Rapamycin makes skin too sensitive for sun even with sunscreens imo. That’s why melasma is staying. I use sunscreens all the time and wear hats all summer long. Also take French pine bark, but melasma is still there. Will have laser treatment in October.

3 Likes

Yes - and some people may be more sensitive than others… (and it may be dose or schedule (i.e. daily vs. weekly) dependent.

This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and can increase your risk of having skin cancer.

Source: Sirolimus (Oral Route) Side Effects - Mayo Clinic.

But on the issue of skin cancer - its confusing. Some reseach suggests that rapamycin is protective:

A history of skin cancer (before or after the transplant) was associated with a higher risk for subsequent skin cancer formation, and the use of sirolimus was protective, with a 40% adjusted reduction in risk (SHR, 0.6; 95% CI, 0.4-0.9) in the overall cohort.

Source: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamadermatology/fullarticle/2482923

2 Likes

Most sunscreens, even Korean ones with PA++++ are not that great in UVA. (I use Korean and Japanese sunscreens only from November-February).

If you are really serious about sun protection in UVA and wish to avoid pigmentation problems, you could consider a sunscreen that includes a UVA filter that is strong from 370-400 nm or higher. Currently the only one on the market is LRP Anthelios UVmune.

Manufacturers think we are too stupid to know better. If they all included a picture of the action spectrum on the label, that would shift the market considerably and people would stop buying junk that provides only mediocre or poor protection.

La Roche Posay Anthelios Uvmune Invisible Liquid Sunscreen, FPS50

https://www.amazon.com/Anthelios-Uvmune-Invisible-Sunscreen-suitable/dp/B01N0O62RI

https://imgur.com/gallery/WXPlZRw

4 Likes

Iontophoresis has been used to enhance penetration of topical tretinoin and estrogen for atrophic scar revision. I’ve read the paper and there was slight improvement but not total resolution–unclear if the same improvement could not be attained by the topical alone. It didn’t look miraculous.

But there’s a much cheaper way to enhance penetration of your topicals–microneedling.

I’ll suggest either a Dr. Pen device (cheap) or a Derminator (more expensive but more powerful).

You can use 0.2 mm depth daily, 0.5 mm weekly, but if you go 1 mm or deeper, do it no more frequently than every 30 days. Some people get track marks on their skin if they glide the device head at deeper settings so I’ll suggest stamping with them instead of gliding.

You will also need a slip agent. Many people use hyaluronic acid serums for this purpose.

Gently massaging in the product also enhances penetration. You could also try using a sheet mask immediately after. I have a silicone reusable one that I got from Amazon.

3 Likes

Here is the action spectrum for immediate and persistent pigment darkening in Japanese skin.

It’s from this paper.

1 Like

Interesting… thanks.

Here is the full ingredient list for that sunscreen:

Aqua/Water, Alcohol Denat., Triethyl Citrate, Diisopropyl Sebacate, Silica, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Glycerin, Propanediol, C12-22 Alkyl Acrylate/Hydroxyethylacrylate Copolymer, Sodium Citrate, Methoxypropylamino Cyclohexenylidene Ethoxyethylcyanoacetate, Perlite, Tocopherol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Citric Acid, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Drometrizole Trisiloxane, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid, Triethanolamine, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate.

Source: La Roche-Posay Anthelios UVMune 400 Invisible Fluid SPF50+ Sun Cream 50ml | Cult Beauty

1 Like

A new rapamycin cream formulation improves facial angiofibromas

This study, performed in clinics based in New Zealand, Australia, the USA, Taiwan, Spain, Serbia, Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia, aimed to find out how effective and safe applying a topical cream containing rapamycin was for treating facial angiofibromas. Two strengths of cream (0.5% and 1%) were applied to the skin by people once a day for 26 weeks and the results were compared with a placebo cream (a version without the active drug). Facial angiofibromas were assessed using a number of clinician- and patient-rated scales.

We found that both strengths of topical rapamycin cream were similarly effective at treating facial angiofibromas and had a greater effect than placebo over a number of measures. A total of 61% of people treated with the high-dose rapamycin cream achieved a measurable improvement on the Investigator’s Global Assessment scale. Also, 90% of people reported they were ‘moderately’ or ‘significantly’ better following treatment with low-dose rapamycin cream.

Open access paper:

4 Likes

Two strengths of cream (0.5% and 1%)
I am not sure how to accurately calculate this, but wouldn’t that be a lot of rapamycin?
If so, the cream will be quite expensive. (Of course, it will be expensive regardless of the amount of rapamycin it contains,)

If we use water as an example, 1 cc water = ~1 gram.
Therefore if we created a cream that was approximately as dense as water, 100cc of cream would need 1 gram of rapamycin. That is a lot!

2 Likes

Yes - that is correct. We really have no idea what the optimal dosing is in rapamycin skin cream for helping aging skin. I’m just posting this as one possible example of what people may want to try. Buying rapamycin powder from China (Typically around $60/gram) might be good for this type of application, where its not going into the body systemically (so any contaminants are less of a concern).

One such source of rapamycin powder that people here have had success with, and that has been quality-verified via independent analytical chemistry lab: Sirolimus Powder - 3rd party analysis

3 Likes

Dear RapAdmin, dear all

On the desperate request of someone here in blog I finally got a prescription for this person to obtain 60 ml of 0.1% :
Have been constantly communicating with him over phone on price and prescription costs; finally got it ordered and now I got reply he doesn’t want it anymore

I already paid doctors prescription and have an obligation towards the pharmacy to take the product as it was made especially for him ( I have all data of the person in question as I needed it for prescription, plus the correspondence by phone on exact quantity pricing etc with his constant affirmation he needed it asap and he would pay by bank transfer before sending)

So please be aware of dishonest people even on this so useful and kind blog. I was happy to do something in return for all the interesting information and sharing in addition to the kindness of persons encountered here but unfortunately this cannot be said for all of us ( am sure you can figure out about which user I am talking if you read this blog - the crazy thing is I even have the person’s data and address , as I needed it for the doctor’ s prescription.)

1 Like