Rapamycin May Slow Skin Aging (Drexel U. Study)

Weekly is only being done for oral to minimize side effects (immune system down regulation after chronic mTORC1 inhibition), and these are not a concern with topical applications.

Also - another rapamycin for skin aging clinical study is in process:

2 Likes

I have been using for 6 months really no noticeable difference. Disappointing perhaps it’s so slight it’s not noticeable. I’ll give it a year.

1 Like

This thread is about topical rapamycin cream, not oral rapamycin. Topical rapamycin does not get into the blood stream (using Transcutol as the base).

5 Likes

On that note: I have been using a Transcutol (30%) based rapamycin spray on all parts of my body that are exposed to the sun. After using the spray, intermittently for a few months, because sometimes I just forget or can’t be bothered, I have noticed a significant decrease in “age spots” on the back of my hands and much better skin elasticity.
I am not sure what benefit the spray/lotion would be for young people except perhaps to prevent their skin from aging as quickly.

2 Likes

What are the other compounds/chemicals in your formulation that make up the other 70% of the solution?

1 Like

I think I posted this before: 30cc Trancutol, 70 cc water, 10 mg rapamycin. Mix transcutol with crushed rapamycin tablets. Let sit overnight to dissolve the rapamycin. Add water, shake and filter. Put it into small spray/mister bottles. Use small mesh metal filters. Do NOT use paper filters.

6 Likes

Where did you get the Transcutol (30%) rapamycin spray? Did you make it or buy it?

“Ethoxydiglycol also goes by the name diethylene glycol monoethyl ether and is marketed under the trademarked ingredient name Transcutol®”
I got mine at Lotioncrafter.
I got the spray bottles from Amazon
Ethoxydiglycol | Lotioncrafter

https://www.amazon.com/Bottles-Refillable-Container-Essential-Cleaning/dp/B087Q5GMGX/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3K83YKZC64LQG&keywords=24+Pcs+Spray+Bottles+2oz+%2F+55ml+Clear+Empty&qid=1673479178&sprefix=24+pcs+spray+bottles+2oz+%2F+55ml+clear+empty%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-1

2 Likes

Thank you very much! Is it important to use the mixture up within a certain time frame?

That I am not sure of. That is why I make it in relatively small batches.

1 Like

I buy a small tub of high-quality skin cream and mix my rapamycin into that using the techniques described in this thread.

Why? You don’t know how much of the rapamycin is actually being dissolved or how much of the rapamycin is getting into the skin.

Looks like Healthspan is coming out with a Topical Formulation of Rapamycin Cream, for people who don’t want to DIY: DIY Rapamycin skin cream

4 Likes

Using EGCG is something I came across earlier, but it slipped my aged mind.
This reminds me to add it to the transcutol, which I think produces better skin absorption and rapamycin mixture. Liquid green tea extract which contains significant EGCG is available from Amazon. Now the question is how much should I add?

1 Like

Could it be that the used dose of rapamycin determines the effects?

Low dose & intermittent: more fibroblasts, extra cellular matrix, collagen, repaired fat cells.
Effect: repair of tissue.

Medium dose: scar removal.

High dose: atrophy of fat cells, fibroblasts, collagen.
Effect: stopping of any growth.

Just a thought.

3 Likes

Any idea how much their cream costs?

This might be a little bit off topic, I was with a friend this weekend and we went to the gym.

When I took off my clothing and put on my gym wear…my friend noticed and commented on my tanned skin. To be honest, I have been waiting for my tan to vanish as it typically does every year.

Not this year… already have a strong base.

The last time I was in the sun was in October, so literally 5 and a 1/2 months ago. He lives in Florida and was in the sun within the past few weeks and I was significantly browner.

Might rapamycin be extending the skin cells that produce brown pigment called melanocytes. The pigment that is produced is called melanin. So you keep melanin in the skin as a protective and anti-aging process? Or, something?

Thigh - leg area.

Waist band area.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

2 Likes

I would tend to think that given rapamycin slows cell turnover, that yes, tans would last longer.

Nothing too mysterious or out of the ordinary (but yes, perhaps unexpected and something we wouldn’t have thought about if you hadn’t brought it up).

4 Likes

I think this is more that your rapamycin cream is increasing your skin‘s sensitivity towards the sun. I noticed this when I was testing on one arm. You should always wear sunscreen when using rapamycin cream.

1 Like

My tan also lasts for a long time, much longer than before.

6 Likes