Rapamycin: Life span studies in rats?

I’m trying to find studies on the effects of rapamycin on life span in rats but I can’t find any. Do someone know of any studies regarding this topic?

1 Like
1 Like

Good question - I can’t find much either in the way of rat lifespan studies. We have the full list of mouse studies here.

I suspect that the increased cost and generally longer lifespan of rats (compared to mice) make it a more expensive animal to do lifespan studies on, and the benefit may not be considered worth the extra cost (by the research community). Lab Mice generally live about 2 years, whereas lab rats typically live 2.5 to 3.5 years - so with sirolimus the average lifespan study in rats would be anticipated to take upwards of 4 to 5 years… which is a long study, expensive and probably harder to get funded compared to mouse studies.

I can find some studies related to aging in rats, with sirolimus by searching on Pubmed, and here is what I see after a quick search: (we seem to see all the same benefits in rats as has been documented already in mice… and which many researcher expect we’ll see in humans too)

2 Likes

I looked at the study but it was a mice study. You don’t know any about rats?

I checked thru the studies but none of them looked att lifespan extension on rats but thank you for the search filter because it gave me little inspiration for future searching in pubmed. I will try some different multiple search terms and see if I can get some better hits. If you stumbled upon something you are welcome to add a post here :pray:

1 Like

Rat and mouse have about the same two year lifespan. I dont see its relevant in lifespan experiments.

Mole rat’s lifespan is about 30 years.

There are benefits and disadvantages in using rats instead of mice in research. Here you can read more about that Rats! | Disease Models & Mechanisms | The Company of Biologists

I have looked into the field of mice and rapamycin and the reason I was searching for rat studies was to see if that differs from mice studies. But it looks like there is no life span studies on rats and rapamycin. If you find any I would really appreciate if you post it here :pray:

2 Likes

You probably know this already - but most of the research papers are easily downloadable from Sci-hub.se

Just search on the DOI number/ reference:

Eg. “10.4161/cc.26578” from this rat paper

https://sci-hub.se/10.4161/cc.26578

1 Like

See this website:

https://sci-hub.se

1 Like

Search in Google Scholar, for Sirolimus vs Rapamycin. Many studies on life extension

1 Like