Rapamycin: How to handle mouth sores

Its interesting… I don’t know the correlation or causation here, but it is well known that higher dosing of rapamycin causes GI issues, diahhrea, etc. and many here have reported that effect too.

I’ve also seen this mentioned in dogs… it seems to do something in the GI tract that can be problematic. I have no idea if this is immune system related or not. See this example below in dogs:

2 Likes

I also took breaks or delayed my next dose a little. It depends on the person but a lot of those that keep on decreasing and decreasing till they get NO side effects at all are likely decreasing too much. I would say one will just have to put up with some side effects that is again depending on the persons. It’s not always true that decreasing dose is always safer than keeping same or increasing depending upon how much we are talking about for i guess we are all familiar with all the many many Uveitis articles where low dose made it worse and higher dose made improved it. Yea that was somewhat of a concotion or meaning contrived example but would think if for that then there are also others where the same may be true as far as dose dependancy - higher dose is better than lower.

1 Like

Is the leucine supposed to be in addition to Lysine ?

Do you have the reference for that quote? The dose is about 5-6 mg for a 25 kg dog. That is large but if dosed intermittently the vasculitis is a very disturbing finding.
Is this kaeberleins work??
More info please!!!

The quote I’m referring to is:
In dogs dosing at all levels induced a vasculitis and at doses greater than 0.25 mg/kg this led to such severe manifestations that they were killed before the end of the 28 day study. At the higher doses the vasculitis affected the gastrointestinal tract, interestingly, it also caused a thrombocytopaenia. Marked depletion of cells in the lymphoid tissue, particularly B cells, occurred. In the dog, toxicity due to a vasculitis, that appears to have a particular predilection for the gastrointestinal tract, made it impossible to assess the immunosuppressive effects of the drug in this particular model. This species- specific reaction to rapamycin confirmed similar unpub-

See my post here: One Week Rapamycin High Dose Test for My Dog; Schedule and Results - #9 by RapAdmin

No mention from the dentist on the need to take both. But I am sure I am getting plenty of both with my current protein intake.

so you were told or read to take leucine ? u are the only one who has ever said that. all others say lysine which i have started taking and seems to be helping a little but of course no ‘miracle cure’.

are u saying u gave it to some dogs at that rate and they all died or at least one died?

was it by injections to the dogs or oral or what method?

If you spread out the dose (e.g., 5mg) over a couple days, the likelihood of sores seem to lessen (for me anyway). However, this begs the question of whether it is really beneficial to spike the dose one weekly to achieve benefit vs. multiple lower doses. I don’t recall any animal or other data that addresses this.

I initially got chronic canker sores (aphthous ulcers) from Rapamycin. They came and went for many months before I found the cause and a really helpful treatment.

I have had my canker sores under good control for the last six months, after suffering badly for about nine months. The sources of my treatments comes from a lot of trial and error research and suggestions from various pundits, including Dr Peter Attia.

The biggest breakthrough was when I changed from the major brand toothpastes, which mostly use an ingredient called sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS). SLS is a surfactant also used in household soaps and detergents. It creates a bubbly foamy effect. It seems totally superficial but apparently makes your teeth “feel” cleaner. SLS is rated as a high hazard for mouth irritation and a moderate irritation for your organs.

Go figure why it’s allowed in toothpaste! Since I changed toothpastes, I’ve had only minor irritations. And none of the “almost comic pain” described by Peter Attia when he had canker sores.

Learned dentists recommend not using toothpastes with SLS if you are sensitive to any form of mouth sore. It’s superfluous to good dental hygiene.

SLS is absent in Dr Bronners and Sensodyne toothpastes. I prefer the former as it’s also absent fluoride - i think we get enough of this as an additive in drinking water and dental cleaning.

Here’s a link to Dr Bronner’s peppermint toothpaste. Peter Attia also recommend Dr Bronner’s. Sensodyne is ok if you want the fluoride.

The producers of Blistex have a useful product called Kanka. I found that this helps with established canker sores. It reduces the inflammation and deadens the pain to help you avoid irritating it further when eating. Some of my early canker sores lasted 14 miserable days.

For completeness, these treatments did not work for me: red light devices, alum powder, saltwater rinses, baking powder, honey, Hydrogen peroxide, coconut oil or Milk of magnesia.

I hope that most of you can find the same relief as I have from these treatments and by discarding toothpastes with SLS.

Good luck.

6 Likes

In the video with Matt, David Sabatini, and Attia, David offhand mentions that if you take something that simply does something (I’d have to listen again to figure out what it was) in the form of a mouthwash before dosing then you will never have a mouth sore. He doesn’t say what it is. Nobody asks him. Thanks, guys.

1 Like

Yes, I heard the comment from David Sabatini. I thought he was making a hypothetical assessment. I don’t think the substance he was describing was currently available.

Simply avoiding toothpastes with sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS). has reduced my mouth ulcers dramatically.

Dr Bronner, I salute you!

2 Likes

This is great info. I just checked, and it turns out the toothpaste I use for my nitric oxide support specifically mentions no SLS. What luck !

1 Like

I use Xylitol toothpaste and it mentions no SLS. I usually don’t have mouth sores. Could be due to the paste I use.

2 Likes

My partner recently got a very hurting mouth sore on rapamycin. Now she took a gel with choline salicylate in it (called mundisal gel in Austria). And she ist very happy with it. The pain was significantly reduced immediately after rubbing it on. Pain relieve continues for several hours. Within two days the sore has nearly resolved.

Edit: In hindsight “resolved” was a too strong statement. The “open” wound healed within two days. The sore itself took another 5 days to go away.

1 Like

Thank you! For those, living in EU: Zendium is gentle on the mouth | Unilever Zendium :

Zendium is SLS-free

Zendium’s formulation has been specially designed without sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS). Instead, it contains a mild, low-foaming agent called stereath-30, which protects the delicate soft tissues of the mouth and also helps to maintain the integrity of the enzymes and proteins in Zendium toothpaste.

3 Likes

It’s so easy to prevent mouth sores - simply reduce the dose of rapamycin :blush:

1 Like

what is the best rinse or topical to clear up the sores? I cannot eat