Rapamycin: How to handle mouth sores

I decided to take a one week break of Rapamycin because after my last dose I got a mouth sore which has not fully healed yet. There are different ways to handle this side effect when it occurs. Like taking a break, lower dose or just continue. How would you handle it?

5 Likes

I am doing the same as you. If the mouth sore is really bothering you, you can use watermelon frost powder.

https://www.google.com/search?q=watermelon+powder&oq=watermelon+pow&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j69i57j0i512l13.5985j0j4&client=ms-unknown&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=O8toxDgmQi0oBM&scso=_T3hgZIa4BePN2roP7oaC6AI_27%253A0

It works for me. It is a bit numbing to the area but seems to clear it up quickly.

4 Likes

Does anyone know what causes mouth sores? It seems like some get it, some don’t. Ive been taking rapamycin for a few months now and some does up to 10mg but still havent experienced this. Is it more common when you combine with grape fruit juice? Would be interested knowing the underlying mechanism between rapamycin and the mouth sores.

1 Like

It’s an autoimmune reaction

The Truth behind Canker Sores - Causes of Canker Sores.

2 Likes

Does it mean the rapamycin dose is to high for the individual? seems like one of the side effects is immune system related

2 Likes

I don’t think you should worry too much about canker sores. Some people get them at really low dosages and not at high dosages.

2 Likes

There are correlations between mouth sores and intestinal issues such as celiac disease and chron`s disease, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). From these correlations, one can argue that the risk for getting a mouth sore could be lowered when rapamycin is combined with GFJ. This since the total amount of rapamycin that put stress on the intestines is lower with GFJ. Take note that I am only speculating, and it would be interesting to find out if there is an overrepresentation of mouth sores in any of the groups. (With or without GFJ).

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this! You say it clears up the mouth sore quickly. If you don’t take it how long will it take to heal the mouth sore compared to when you take it. Super curious of your answer here. If you don’t know could you make a test next time and get back to us :pray:

Very interesting that you have not got it and it’s also interesting that some get it and some don’t. I wonder if it’s because I practice also other interventions that can push my body too much. Like I do around 18-20 hours fasting every day, practice mild calorie restriction almost every day, exercise 5-7 days every week, take a lot of other supplements daily. Can it be due to that (too high stress response)? Are you doing other interventions on top of Rapamycin?

1 Like

Peter Attia uses Debacterol for rapamycin-related mouth sores:

2 Likes

@Jensen_Achilles This was a really good thing you point out here which reminds me of an old post that I wrote about that “The overall dosage of both the mTOR and AMPK pathways is probably the thing to keep an eye on” when it comes to deciding the Rapamycin dose regime. This could be one reason why some people can take higher doses than others because the use other longevity interventions that already inhibite mTOR. This is an area we don’t talk about but I think it’s an important one to have some how.

@DeStrider Yes, I fully agree that mouth sores are probably not something to worry about but currently I like to interpret this signs as warning flags that I push my body little bit too much and need to take one step back. It’s like exercise. In some cases you just feel that the body is tired and overtrained and need to take a step back and let the body recover.

2 Likes

Very interesting to see if it’s like that. By the way, I don’t use GFJ.

I’d say it reduces the recovery by half. You spray the powder on the sore.

1 Like

I think a couple grams of lysine per day prevents the mouth sores entirely. I used to get them and now that I’m doing lysine I’ve had no trouble at all.

3 Likes

Does not lysine activate mtor? I wonder how that works together with Rapamycin which inhibit mtor. It feels like if they are taken together they will limit the effects of each other or?

Rapa is probably much more powerful at suppressing mTOR than lysine is to activate it.

2 Likes

Can we be sure that a mouth sore is not an indication that there may be other ulcers on other internal organs? I could never understand how some ppl including doctors would consider it a minor side effect not worth serious attention. I never have mouth sores bc I’m very careful with dosing. Any ulcer imo is a sign that smth is not right.

5 Likes

From the superficial read that I did of the abstact of this study: Lysine is required for growth factor-induced mTORC1 activation

Lysine does not directly activate mTORC1 in these cells, the growth factors activate mTORC1, which need Lysine to activate MTORC1 as efficient as possible.

Please correct me if I’m wrong :smile:

1 Like

I have been noticing cranker sore starting to develop with my rapamycin dose last few weeks. It does not develop fully, the tip on my tongue gets a red spot, cca 5-8 mm in diameter it is tingly and develops day/two after dosing. Stays for a few days and it is gone by the next dose, but the cycle repeats. I had the same with my first dose, of only 1 mg. Later doses were free of this, but last three weeks couldn’t get 1mg rapamune, they just got 2mg on stock and did not want to wait to be ordered for me, so I took it and instead of 5mg I am taking 6mg (3x2mg) once per week and noticed this. I take L-lysine daily with my morning EAA (2 grams total L-lysine) and have been wondering should I take more? Should I decrease rapamycin back to 5mg/week… Cranker sore does not develop fully, but the tingly feeling is not really pleasant and it is there most of the week.

1 Like

Put some salt on your finger, apply to sore… bam gone!

2 Likes