Rapamycin: How to handle mouth sores

Found Two interesting papers. Still lot’s of questions, more than answers, but at least it seems @LaraPo that they are more a local mouth cavity problem than showing a systemic problem. Seems it is local reaction which on one hand driven by rapamycin and response and effect on wound healing but on the other hand driven by mouth flora, injures to mucosa and food one eats (eg spicy/sour…).

chambers2018.pdf (510.2 KB)

7 Likes

Yes, that is probably true but I wonder if you could get the same dose if you lowered the rapamycin dose and skip lysine on the first days of Rapamycin. What is the purpose of taking lysine? Muscle growth?

Interesting thought, Lara! Is there other intestinal sores that we know about that you think could occur?

Thanks for sharing, why do you take lysine and EAA daily? Is it for muscle growth? Why take it on rapamycin days?

There are 4 mucosal membranes: oral mucosa, esophageal mucosa, gastric mucosa, and intestinal mucosa. I don’t think there’s any research done that shows that other mucosal membranes are not affected by rapamycin toxicity caused by incorrect dose. Can we be sure that there are no other ulcerations in 3 other membranes after we get mouth sores?

1 Like

Yes, I take EAA daily as a part of my pre workout morning drink together with collagen peptides and some other things. Mostly to increase endurance, and reduce soreness post exercise. In other words, hoping to get me back to gym faster and happier.

Why Take it on rapamycin days? It is part of my daily routine, it makes me easier to stick to it. I exercise daily too. Just easier to stick to.

1 Like

I have not been really looking deep into this issue as was mostly interested in canker sores as they bother me ATM, but found some studies on all mucosa and rapamycin. But just looking at oral mucosa and canker sores with rapamycin they are not really caused by rapamycin. I understand rapamycin just makes a natural occurring injuries in mouth mucosa more difficult to heal that is why you would develop cranker sores in short. It is not the cause but helps in aggravating the issue in creating a sore because of the modulated immune response and wound healing.

1 Like

Rapamycin suppresses immune system at certain concentrations which caused ulcers formation. My concern is that the problem could be more serious than depicted and is often overlooked. If there’s a mouth sore in some rare occasions then it’s probably OK, but when it happens all the time it points to something more serious.

3 Likes

Yes I understand your point of view. But as much as I see most people here who take rapamycin are juggling between wanted and unwanted side effects and avoiding the later. Too much rapamycing probably won’t kill you but wont help you to live longer which is our main objective. So it is fine tuning and adjusting the dose. With cancer patients where objective it so stop the cancer the view is completely different. I am still out on cranker sores, I would be much happier atm without this one developing with every 6mg dose on the tip of my tongue. But I am willing to wait a few more weeks to see if my body will adjust, if not I will decrease the dose to 5mg and next time wont be lazy and will make two trips to pharmacy.

2 Likes

There is a good probability that CHLORHEXIDINE mouth rinse (Peridex, Perioguard) would prevent mouth sores as it is a long-acting antibacterial molecule that attaches to surfaces including mucous membranes. Good be good!

2 Likes

Yes, probably it would, but it also has a potential to kill you :sweat_smile:
Well not immediately but it destroys almost all beneficial mouth bacteria that are responsible for nitric oxide pathway. There are studies that using antiseptic mouthwashes increases mortality as nitric oxide deficiency may potentially lead to complications such as ischaemic heart events or sepsis.

2 Likes

Blue and red light LEDs on oral mouth guards. Mostly the blue one seems to do the trick. It’s helped mine heal fast when I got them and now I don’t even get them.

Starlite Smile Teeth Whitening Accelerator Light, 16x Powerful Blue LED Light Mouth Tray, Teeth Whitening Machine for Home Use, Connected with iPhone/Android/USB/USB-C, Teeth Whitener Light Gum Tray https://a.co/d/72C5X6O

I think they’re helpful to do occasionally anyway to regulate mouth microflora.

get a script for debacterol. you put it on and five minutes larer you never feel the apthous ulcer again. it works like magic

3 Likes

Would antibacterial toothpaste have the same effect?

1 Like

I don’t think so, the studies I read were focusing on mouthwash, antibiotics and anti-acid medications. I don’t remember toothpaste to be mentioned.

1 Like

Those mouthwashes are detrimental to health and would be an odd choice for someone taking rapamycin to extend life and healthspan.

Are there any other better alternatives to use than those mouthwashes? Curious of your thoughts in the topic.

Apply salt topically…

1 Like

I have applied honey before. It seems to make the area less irritable, and also help because honey has anti-microbial effects.

1 Like

Bryan Johnson uses a tea tree oil mouth rinse daily.

1-3 drops in cup of water

2 Likes