Rapamycin for my Cats?

I have one cat also that is very difficult to give any medication to. What I did was to give him pill pocket treats without the pill for a few days so that he looked forward to the pill pocket treats. Then I took two pill pocket treats and loaded just one, gave him an unloaded one, then gave him the one with the pill inside. He just gulped it down with no problems.
I have two young rescue cats and it always surprises me how different they are in food preferences etc.

5 Likes

Yes, they collected a list of vets who are interested in using their product when ready and I put my vet on it. My vet is awesome btw. Which is a rare thing for me to say as usually I say opposite things about vets and not without reasons (sorry if anyone here is a vet, I do not generalise my opinion on you a priori). But to the topic. They promised to send reports from both trials as soon as they can. Not sure if this will be before they publish the papers. Possibly not. But if so, I will share it of course. I really wonder now if .2 mg to .3 mg per kg peer week will be close to their low doseā€¦I cannot wait for Silkyā€™s next heart scan. Although I am also nervous and would like to postpone it forever. Contradictions rule my heart atm. PS did I tell you my cat with hcm is a Canadian Sphynx and he is growing a lot of silk atm? He starts to look like a lykoi at his bottom :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never heard of lykoi cats, had to look that one up! I definitely understand your conflicted feelings. Iā€™m always nervous when I get that call from the vet with test results.

Just curious, where are you getting your rapa from? Was the vet willing to write an rx for the existing human version or did you use one of the other sources that are discussed on this site?

1 Like

I used the source recommended on this site as myself and my husband are also on rapa. At the moment we switched to rapamune in liquid that we bought in Turkey to save the pills for the cats. With my cats i have learnt ages ago that if they are ill I have to learn all I can about this illness and its treatment. Just as I realised I have to study feline nutrition to be able to do the best for them, as a lot of cat food available on the market, especially so called ā€œveterinaryā€ or prescription brandsā€ are pure evil. We have learnt it hard way. But we have learnt it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ā€œYes, they collected a list of vets who are interested in using their product when ready and I put my vet on it.ā€

Sylwia, where do you sign up your vet to get the rapa information? If I understand when reading your posts, you are giving your cat rapa without your vets help? I fear thatā€™s the position I may end up in as well. My cat Mel is on two anti clotting meds after he threw a clot a month ago. They speculated that the steroid shot for his asthma contributed to him getting a clot because his HCM didnā€™t seem that far along. They scheduled a follow up appointment with the cardiologist 6 months after the clot. Do I even wait that long to act?

1 Like

Go to the Trivium Vet social media, chat with them via Messenger. They will want vetā€™s e-mail address. I source the rapa myself but my vet knows about it and supports it, if informally atm. As opposed to the temporary cardio (our old cardiologist moved away and we are looking for a good one but had to temporarily register with one), who is just full of vague statements ā€žwe have to read about it when we have a chanceā€. So I do not even freak them out telling them we stopped waiting. There is no point. Silky is doing very well, we just had his blood tests and i will post a comparison with before measurements - I test blood of all my cats once a year as part of their annual health check. I just have a crazily busy week at work, so will post after weekend. PS Silky is on clopi but we did not have clots, just the turbulence of the blood that may eventually cause them.

Hi Sylwia, thanks for the reply. I sourced the rapamycin via this vet I found online;

https://naturalpet.health/about-us/ (KEVIN TOMAN, DVM) I was able to connect my primary care vet with him and my primary wrote the script for wedgewood pharmacy for compounding. I asked wedgewood if the liquid form contained alcohol and they confirmed what they compounded did NOT contain alcohol. I should be receiving it in a few days.

Now the question becomes dosing. Did Trivium suggest a dosing protocol? I know their clinical with cats was once a week, but the video with Dr Stern doesnā€™t mention the amount. Iā€™m not sure Trivium would provide that information, but Iā€™ll check out the trivium chat. (I didnā€™t see a chat feature on the Trivium website)

Presentation on rapamycin for cats;

https://www.triviumvet.com/insights/understanding-feline-hcm-prognosis-genetic-mutations-and-emerging-treatment-options-dr-joshua-stern-uc-davis

1 Like

No, they do not answer this question. They just emphasised the dose was low. I am doing the low dosage from the dogs longevity study. But once a week.

Yes, I agree. When I receive my Rapamycin, I will dose .25 once per week.

1 Like

Is there anybody who knows where one can purchase Rapamyin/Sirolimus as 0.5mg pill.
There has to be some pharmacy somewhere in the world that must carry it!
It is so that I may initially begin dosing my 7pound dog 0.5mg on a weekly basis, and then eventually work up to 1mg a week.
I have learnt through this thread that cutting or crushing a 1mg pill is not a good idea, and essentially renders it useless.
Hence, my hunt for a seller who stocks the lower 0.5mg pill.
Any leads from any corner of the world would be helpful.

(Also, I was going to put this in another forum or thread, but has anyone tried dosing at 1mg every two weeks, for smaller animals, does the bioavailability still hold up?)

Any response, resources or leads would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I do 1 mg per week for my cat who is a tad above 5 kg. Ideally it would be .75. I am considering 1 mg every 10 days but I will decide on it after I see his next scan results in June. Another option maybe if you want lower doses would be to put half pill to the enteric coated capsules? I have seen such capsules with probiotics. They do not dissolve in stomach. It could work I guess?

See this post by our forumā€™s biochemist on this issue: How many are making their own solutions from powder? - #47 by O_o

I thought there myst be a reason no one used it like thisā€¦ thanksā€¦

Hello All. This is my first post.

Iā€™m trying to figure out what the dosage is for my cats. I read that the TRIAD project is using 0.15mg/kg, so I gave my dog Buddy a 1mg tablet (it should be 1.26MG as heā€™s 8.4KG, but I only have 1mg tablets and read here not to break them).

My cats are about half the weight of my dog (roughly), and I only have 1m.g. tablets, would it be worthwhile giving them a 1m.g. tablet every 2 weeks? Any thoughts?

Hi Denis,

Welcome to the forums. Yes - I think dosing once every two weeks is probably fine. I encourage you to read the human dosing threadā€¦ some people are taking the same approach (higher dosing in terms of mg/kg weight, but less frequently ā€¦ eg. every two weeks instead of once per week. We donā€™t have a ton of data yet, but I think it probably works just as well.

See here: What is the Rapamycin Dose / Dosage for Anti-Aging or Longevity?

1 Like

We tried her on 0.5mg one dose per week
We have to spilt an eteric coated pill so we put them into a slow release capsule which I cut some of the length off of before reassembling it. I shove the pill down her throat pretty much.
She was on the rapamycin for 2 months and had another echocardiogram with significant improvements in her LVFWd measurement. The cardiologist has declared her HCM free at this time and has taken her off anti platelets.
I am overjoyed.
I do have other concerns though. She had a terrible sinus infection as a kitten and was on tetracycline for several months. She tends to get a sinus infection once or twice per year since then. She has had a sinus infection twice since starting the Rapamycin.
I know there are some people who take it intemittently for anti aging. I heard someone say he only takes it a few weeks of the year. And Ive seen where some people are doing 8 weeks on and 8 weeks off.
I think with this particular cat she might be safer if we tried something like that. I would like to find out more about this kind of dose scheduling. Maybe for her if she could just take it for a few weeks every year that would mitigate the risk? Anyone have any information or advice?

3 Likes

I split the pills and then put them into slow release capslules I bought on Amazon. Problem is I canā€™t find slow release capsules any smaller than a #3. I am able to cut some of the length off the capsule before putting it back together and that helps quite a bit.

2 Likes

We were able to get .5mg pills from the Pharmacy so we give each cat .5mg (7lb cats) every two weeks. They are 16 years old and still running and chasing things. We have been doing so for about 5 months without any discernible negative effects. So far so good.

2 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m new here and am interested in rapamycin for my cat who is stage C HCM. How are your cats doing? Can I connect with you and ask you more questions?