Rapamycin for my Cats?

Is there anybody who knows where one can purchase Rapamyin/Sirolimus as 0.5mg pill.
There has to be some pharmacy somewhere in the world that must carry it!
It is so that I may initially begin dosing my 7pound dog 0.5mg on a weekly basis, and then eventually work up to 1mg a week.
I have learnt through this thread that cutting or crushing a 1mg pill is not a good idea, and essentially renders it useless.
Hence, my hunt for a seller who stocks the lower 0.5mg pill.
Any leads from any corner of the world would be helpful.

(Also, I was going to put this in another forum or thread, but has anyone tried dosing at 1mg every two weeks, for smaller animals, does the bioavailability still hold up?)

Any response, resources or leads would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I do 1 mg per week for my cat who is a tad above 5 kg. Ideally it would be .75. I am considering 1 mg every 10 days but I will decide on it after I see his next scan results in June. Another option maybe if you want lower doses would be to put half pill to the enteric coated capsules? I have seen such capsules with probiotics. They do not dissolve in stomach. It could work I guess?

See this post by our forum’s biochemist on this issue: How many are making their own solutions from powder? - #47 by O_o

I thought there myst be a reason no one used it like this… thanks…

Hello All. This is my first post.

I’m trying to figure out what the dosage is for my cats. I read that the TRIAD project is using 0.15mg/kg, so I gave my dog Buddy a 1mg tablet (it should be 1.26MG as he’s 8.4KG, but I only have 1mg tablets and read here not to break them).

My cats are about half the weight of my dog (roughly), and I only have 1m.g. tablets, would it be worthwhile giving them a 1m.g. tablet every 2 weeks? Any thoughts?

Hi Denis,

Welcome to the forums. Yes - I think dosing once every two weeks is probably fine. I encourage you to read the human dosing thread… some people are taking the same approach (higher dosing in terms of mg/kg weight, but less frequently … eg. every two weeks instead of once per week. We don’t have a ton of data yet, but I think it probably works just as well.

See here: What is the Rapamycin Dose / Dosage for Anti-Aging or Longevity?

1 Like

We tried her on 0.5mg one dose per week
We have to spilt an eteric coated pill so we put them into a slow release capsule which I cut some of the length off of before reassembling it. I shove the pill down her throat pretty much.
She was on the rapamycin for 2 months and had another echocardiogram with significant improvements in her LVFWd measurement. The cardiologist has declared her HCM free at this time and has taken her off anti platelets.
I am overjoyed.
I do have other concerns though. She had a terrible sinus infection as a kitten and was on tetracycline for several months. She tends to get a sinus infection once or twice per year since then. She has had a sinus infection twice since starting the Rapamycin.
I know there are some people who take it intemittently for anti aging. I heard someone say he only takes it a few weeks of the year. And Ive seen where some people are doing 8 weeks on and 8 weeks off.
I think with this particular cat she might be safer if we tried something like that. I would like to find out more about this kind of dose scheduling. Maybe for her if she could just take it for a few weeks every year that would mitigate the risk? Anyone have any information or advice?

3 Likes

I split the pills and then put them into slow release capslules I bought on Amazon. Problem is I can’t find slow release capsules any smaller than a #3. I am able to cut some of the length off the capsule before putting it back together and that helps quite a bit.

2 Likes

We were able to get .5mg pills from the Pharmacy so we give each cat .5mg (7lb cats) every two weeks. They are 16 years old and still running and chasing things. We have been doing so for about 5 months without any discernible negative effects. So far so good.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m new here and am interested in rapamycin for my cat who is stage C HCM. How are your cats doing? Can I connect with you and ask you more questions?

Hi Dr. Gathard - are you administering rapamycin for your cats with HCM? How can I learn more? My cat has stage C HCM.

My two rescue cats are about 18 months old. I am currently giving them 1/2 mg/wk. They don’t have any problems I am trying to fix, I just want them to be around for a long time.

9 Likes

My cat seems to be doing really well. In his blood data all basic TBC and biochemistry parameters are stable apart from creatinine that moved from the higher to the lower part of the norm. Which if connected with rapa is an extra bonus, because he did not lose on weight at all. But hard to decide on one test results if it is something stable or just an artefact. Future will show. His breaths when asleep are consistently 18-20 per minute. But only after next heart scan i will know if progress of HCM is stopped or maybe even slightly reversed. Which is sth I shyly hope for. I will show you the details when done. He should have his next heart scan in June.

2 Likes

Thanks, were they diagnosed with HCM? Do you know what stage they were?

Thanks, what stage were your cats? Can I ask you where they are located. I am in San Francisco. How long have you been administering it?

No, the cats were/are healthy.

No, I am administering simply to improve their long term health and survival. At 16 they still are pretty active. I am hoping to extend this healthy condition.

I was corrected above why it may not work. Check the explanation from the admin.

I just did the same thing today with Healthspan. Hope I can get the pills sooner rather than later!