Rapamycin & Everolimus Use Is Associated With a Favorable Outcome of COVID-19

New study:

We enrolled 371 patients with kidney transplant (229 men, 61.8%) with a median age of 49 (18–86) years and a mean age of 51.4 years. Of these, 56 (15.1%) became infected with SARS-CoV-2 during the period of the study.

In relation to the different immunosuppressive therapies, 66 patients (17.8%) assumed the immunosuppressive therapy with mTOR inhibitors, 48 with everolimus, and 18 with sirolimus. Of these, 11 (16.6%) (eight treated with everolimus and three with sirolimus) acquired SARS-CoV-2 infection (OR for SARS-CoV-2 infection acquired vs. no SARS-CoV-2 infection acquired: 1.1, 95, CI: (0.25–2.8) mTOR inhibitors recipients vs. other regimens), p = 0.210 ). Of the 11 patients infected, 7 (63.6%) had COVID-19; in particular, six had a mild form of the disease, while 1 had a moderate form of the disease (OR for moderate/severe form vs. mild:0.8, 95, CI: (0.21*–**0.92) mTOR inhibitors recipients vs. other regimens; p = 0.041) (Tables 2, ​,5,5, ​,6).6). No patient treated with mTOR inhibitors presented a severe form of the disease.

Discussion

Our study first shows that the use of mTOR inhibitors when compared with other immunosuppressive regiments was associated with a more favorable outcome of COVID-19 in a cohort of patients. Moreover, none of the patients undergoing immunosuppressive therapy with mTOR inhibitors (everolimus and sirolimus) presented a severe form of the disease.

In contrast, neither the number of immunosuppressive drugs nor their type was associated with the risk of acquiring the infection.

Conclusion

In kidney transplant patients, the use of mTOR inhibitors as part of an immunosuppressive regimen is associated with a better prognosis in the case of COVID-19.

Explaining the results:

How can we explain these results? There are at least two possible explanations: an antiviral effect of mTOR inhibitors or an immunomodulant action. With respect to the first hypothesis, we underline that a potential positive impact of mTOR inhibitors in the course of several viral infections is already known in the literature (22, 23). However, to our best knowledge, our study is the first one to show a positive impact of mTOR inhibitors in the course of SARS-CoV-2 infection on the evolution of the disease. The results might be due to the wellknown immunomodulatory effect of these drugs that could reduce the cytokine storm typical of the immune activation phase of the disease. Alternatively, another possible reason could be due to the inhibitory action on the mTOR pathway, which could induce the inhibition of transcriptional processes and consequently induce a reduced viral replication.

Research Paper:

2 Likes

We already knew transplant patients that receive sirolimus/everolimus got less CMV than the ones that don’t

Hey All: Covid is hitting with a vengeance right now. I have managed to avoid it until this week. No fan of vaccination… but do it to travel abroad. Booster shot #3 was required 1 year ago to fly to Sweden.

I took my shot #4 of Pfizer - a second booster, this last Friday, Dec. 23. Took it to travel this time going to Italy soon. Felt scratchy throat next day; then, stuffy nose… same through today… 4 days. I assumed it was a reaction to the vaccine.

Then, my wife suddenly felt bad (couldn’t eat, fever… headaches) and she pulled out the covid tests. I took it was positive… took it again with a different distributor… positive also. To be honest thought really… that’s it??

Both tests today.

Yep… that was it. Almost 65 years old… stuffy nose, no sore throat, fever or aches. All done in 4 days… never even suspected I was infected. Did chores around the house… ate normal… was not out and about with people due to Christmas Eve, Day and the very cold weather. Thankful for that.

Multiple reports show that those taking rapamycin avoid bad effects of the disease.
Maybe so… my N=1. I trust rapamycin more than Pfizer’s shots.

1 Like

I’m home alone right now with COVID. My last booster, my third was about 13 months ago. My Rapa intake has been a little been sporadic for one reason or another. I took a 2mg dose on Sunday and started feeling sick the day after. Now I’m coughing up a storm. While this isn’t the worst I’ve felt by far I do feel pretty crappy. Does anyone know if Rapa’s immuno-modulation effect is cumulative?

1 Like

Sorry to hear Paul… up until Dec. 5th I was doing 6mg plus GFJ… I was getting a 36.8 ng/mL dose for about 7 months…

I just rebooted on Monday to 2mg plus GFJ… so looking a 12 ng/mL about 1/3 of what I was taking…

Did all that dosing help me… it certainly wasn’t hurting it seemed. That high dose did push my Glycan biological age up 15 years from 37 years to 51 years. Having talked with the GlycanAge Researcher Alex… we think the lower dose will get me back to my younger biological reading. Hence the change in my dose. Alex says in biology… things improve to a point… then too much is toxic and benefits decrease. So will see in 6 months.