Rapamycin can lower body temperature - Anyone Measure This?

Has anyone else experienced or measured this, on rapamycin?

Its well known that lower body temperature is associated with longer lifespan…

So this was of interest recently on Twitter:

2 Likes

This is interesting. After 5 years of rapamycin my temperature 3 days ago was 95.7 F. My blood glucose is 110-115 (99 before rapamycin).
In fact, I was a little concerned over my temperature because I have some cold intolerance.

3 Likes

Rivasp12, that’s quite an increase in your fasting glucose since starting rapamycin. Have you tracked your HOMA-IR / fasting insulin levels during the past 5 years to determine if this represents worsening insulin resistance caused by rapamycin (as opposed to “benevolent” glucose intolerance, as termed by Dr. Blagosklonny)?

BCAA restriction increases it

I should try this again

My Oura ring measures body temperature and there have been no changes since I began Rapamycin in January.

Fwiw there are also no changes in resting HR, HR variability or sleep duration.

1 Like

Thanks Brandy
Several thoughts on that subject. Rapamycin increases insulin sensitivity in some organ systems, while decreasing it in others.
Rapamycin prevents end organ damage of diabetes such as nephropathy, retinopathy, and neuropathy.
Pre- diabetes’ was a made up entity by pharmaceutical companies to increase their sales of hypoglycemic products. The vast majority don’t become diabetic.
I don’t like doing testing when there’s not much for me to change. I eat well, exercise regularly, have a height to waist ratio < 0.5, and a HbA1c of 5.6.
I’m even suspicious that a mild hyperglycemia in the presence of rapamycin might actually be a good thing.

3 Likes

Other examples of people who are on rapamycin and seem to have lower body temperatures:

1 Like

Q4

Q1

You can see my temperature was raised in December when I had Covid but the average does seem marginally lower since I started rapamycin in January?

2 Likes

So,… there were 2 or 3 times last year where I had covid scares and I ‘felt’ very feverish. And I ended up needlessly buying multiple thermometers because I was convinced that the ones I bought were not sensitive or broken — they’d be showing temperatures in the range of 34.9 -36.1 celsius when I could have sworn it felt like 39 or so.

Perhaps I should invest in rectal probes :confounded:

1 Like

Anyone else monitoring body temperature pre and post rapamycin?

https://medium.com/@Michael_Forrest/has-nature-taught-us-how-to-slow-aging-415e75a06ba3

A couple of times this spring, with about a month interval, I went into a building where Covid precautions were still in effect and temperatures were taken at the door. Mine was 97 both times.

1 Like

SciTechDaily: Length of REM Sleep Linked to Body Temperature.

Warm-blooded animal groups with lower body temperatures have more rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, while those with higher body temperatures have lower amounts of REM sleep. This is according to new research from Jerome Siegel, a University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) professor who said his study suggests that REM sleep acts like a “thermostatically controlled brain heater.”

1 Like

I remember trying serious caloric restriction (40% reduction) for about 6 months. Lost about 25lbs, and had to wear a sweater all the time because I was always cold…

My Oura also indicates no change in body temp since starting Rapa 4 months ago

Rapa has definitely lowered my body temp. I started Jan 5th (vertical line). The blue dots indicate start of menstrual cycle — TMI and gross but the context is needed as women’s body temperature fluctuates with the cycle. But you can see the definite downward trend. I can go back further in time and my temperature was even higher earlier on. That low you see (dip below +0.5 degrees Celsius) is my lowest low since I got my Oura ring around Jan 2022.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the broda barnes testing suggest that rapamycin might be pushing people hypothroid if its causing people’s temps to go lower?

FWIW, I read years ago that higher tsh is associated with longevity.

Greater longevity has been associated with higher TSH and lower TH levels, but mechanisms underlying TSH/TH differences and longevity remain unknown.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4473605/#:~:text=The%20hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid%20(,differences%20and%20longevity%20remain%20unknown.

3 Likes

We need to look at body temperature as both a sign of poor metabolic health and then if metabolic health and optimal body temperature is restored a way to gauge mTOR activity.

We will be using this highly accurate wearable to device to first I am personally super interested in the correlation and additional data obtained to track imetabolic/mitochondrial health and variations in circadian rhythm and sleep, cognitive function, recovery etc

It is important to realize that human body temperature has declined over the past 150 years due declining metabolic and mitochondrial health. We have seen by improving these body temperature can be restored.

Decreasing human body temperature in the United States since the IndustrialRevolution

But as this chain suggest, once metabolically healthy, there seems to be a long term health benefit to having at least periodically lower core temperature as a hormetic response and guess what drops body temperature?

[Being cool: how body temperature influences ageing and longevity ](Being cool: how body temperature influences ageing and longevity - PMC

https://bradyholmer.medium.com/temperature-and-longevity-how-being-cold-might-influence-aging-18d0503f9b9f

Reduced Body Temperature Extends Lifespan, Study Finds

And low and behold decreasing mTOR, rapamycin, fasting!

What I am postulating that with a reliable wearable core temperature device, we could have a powerful physiological marker of mTOR activity and a way to dose rapamycin!

It would be super cool to dose rapamycin and then watch temperature cycles go down and then come back up as levels decreased. Or even the longer term effects of seeing temperature trend down over time while metabolic serum and physiological markers remain strong.

But the key here to first address restoring optimal metabolic health and normal range temperature and cycling prior to trying to reduce. Get the engine working better first before throttling it down but who knows maybe we can achieve both at the same time. We just won’t have the clean temperature signal.

2 Likes

This is amazing. Have been looking for something good like this ever since I learned about relationships of CR, longevity and body temperature?

Haven’t liked the way Oura and Whoop are more about “delta” in temp than actually plotting the temp levels as the focus - and also not sure how reliable they are…

So this patch, seems very interesting!

Do you know how one can buy it? (And cost?)