Rapamycin and risk of cardiovascular disease

That makes it look like lycopene should lower your LDL. Does it?

Never tried it personally, but this meta analysis confirms itā€™s lowering abilities.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve tried multiple lipid lowering agents over the years, including statins many years ago. Lycopene gave me poor results.

Recently I had success with 1000 mg of citrus bergamot. My LDL decreased by 20%.

Due to notoriously poor statin compliance among patients, medscape did a very thorough review of natural supplements and looked at their ability to favorably alter lipid profiles. Iā€™m particularly impressed with pantethine. Over 28 clinical trials have shown a consistent improvement in LDL reduction of about 20%as well as up to 27,5% reduction in ApoB . Also an increase in the favorable ApoA has been seen.

My goal is an ApoB/ ApoA of < 0.8, so Iā€™ll be adding in pantothene at 900 mg per day in divided doses.

Side effects have been consistently mild with some transient mild diarrhea as the most common. No reports of muscle or cognitive issues . No diabetes risk.

6 Likes

Is pantethine the same as pantethinic acid (vit B5)?

Iā€™ve been taking both rosuvastatin and ezetimibe 3x a week for at least a couple of years.

1 Like

Whatā€™s your result? Does it help?

Just a quick scan. Didnā€™t find a lot on this, and found that high LDL might be bad for autoimmune and statins may help also via modulating information.

Will discuss with my medical team as I have some autoimmune risks.

No, similar but not the same. B5 has no effect on lipids.

Taking the medication 3x a week was my idea. The cardiologist I think, wanted to dose every day but I never considered that. As you can see, for me, dosing 3 days is working well.

This is from December
Total Cholesterol 129
Hdl 53
Ldl 60

2 Likes

Do you dose both on the same day or alternate them?

I take them both at the same time.

1 Like

Donā€™t confuse pantethine with pantothenic acid. These are not the same.

In Japan and China, pantethine is available as a prescription drug for hyperlipidemia. It is available as a supplement in the US.

3 Likes

Review the following;

Pantethine is not rate limited. If you drink alcohol Panethine will accelerate the conversion of acetaldehyde into acetate thereby reducing a hangover.

I can hunt up a paper on this if people want it. However, they are both Coenzyme A precursors.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a very unique lipid lowering mechanism. By increasing CoA in the cytoplasm, it increases the oxidation of acetate at the expense of cholesterol synthesis.

It commonly takes 4-9 months to work. Patience is required.

3 Likes

Not right now, because I couldnā€™t find any in the store, but yeah Iā€™ll increase dosage with GFJ.

1 Like

:rofl:

[Post must be at least 20 characters]

Hereā€™s a very interesting and informative debate between two experts in the field of cardiology about whether cardiac imaging or biomarkers should guide us regarding medical interventions, such as statins, for the primary prevention of cardiac events and mortality. Itā€™s amazing how unsettled all of this is still.

I appreciate that the importance of inflammation and cardiac troponin levels are extensively discussed under the biomarkers section. Heā€™s not exclusively looking at lipids.

1 Like

This would not be ideal at all: to steal Peter Attiaā€™s analogy, it would be like getting regular CT scans and begin smoking cessation therapy if a nodule was discovered. Coronary calcium, especially in a young person, is a disastrously late point at which to intervene. The correct heuristic is to treat causes.

4 Likes

My latest post is an excellent debate on this subject by two well respected experts in preventive cardiology. Itā€™s complicated and far from settled.

1 Like