Rapamycin and risk of cardiovascular disease

Damn “Big Grape” strikes again.

2 Likes

Eat all the grapes you like.

FWIW

Pterostilbene is much better than resveratrol.

And there are many more compound’s.

No question that a colonoscopy is an absolute must, but I think it can be ‘supplemented’ by non-evasive techniques for in-between years. I have colon issues, so I do the colonoscopy every 3-4 years, and in between, I do the Cologuard, for off-years, as well as the CfDNA from Galleri, which I may start doing everything 6 months.

1 Like

This graph is useless, people die from other causes besides CVD. LDL might well increase CVD but if it at the same time lowers your risk of dying from other causes there could be a net benefit to high LDL

You are making an incorrect calculation, you need to calculate your positive and negative predictive value which depend on your a priori change of having the condition.

I can give some example calculations later …

Both sensitivity (false negative) and specificity (false positive) seem to be 87%

So let’s assume an a priori chance of first 0.1% and then 1%

We’ll do 100000 tests

In the in the first case there are 100 cases ang 99900 heathy people we find 87 TruPos, 13 FalseNeg and 86913 TruNeg and 12987 FalsePos

The negative predictive value = TruNeg/(TruNeg+FalseNeg)=86913/(86913+13) =99.98%

Positive predictive value TruPos/(TruPos +falsepos)=0.67%

Second example

There are 1000 cases and 99000 healthy people

We find 870 TruPos cases miss 130 FalseNegs and find 86130 TruNeg and 12870 falsepos

Negative predictive value 99.8%
Positive predictive value 6.33%

So this test is good at excluding cancers but really bad for diagnosing with these low prevalences

1 Like

Take a look at all of your risk factors and then decide. Do you have hypertension, smoking, diabetes, family history.
How’s your sleeping, stress, diet, exercise, and omega 3?
Could consider CAC scoring for even more information.
In primary prevention the absolute reduction in total mortality from statins seems to be 0.3 to 0.8 %.
Then decide.

3 Likes

Thanks. No to all those risk factors, with a couple exceptions.

1. Almost no early CVD in family, however… I have 9p21 which does tend to be a significant risk factor.
  2. I’m embarrassed to say I haven’t gotten my Coronary Calcium Scan. I’ll get it done shortly.
1 Like

Since were discussing false outcomes, I think it’s fine to do tests that spit out false negatives, just as long as you are aware of this likelihood and still intend to do regular traditional testing.
For example, with Galleri’s cfDNA tests… knowing this breakdown is quite valuable.
It’s roughly:
20% of stage I (ie, catches 20% of stage I cancers)
45% of stage II
81% of stage III
93% of stage IV

False positives are thankfully quite rare, but from the above breakdown, its very obvious that a whole slew of cancers might go undetected with this test.

I have thought about getting this test. Very expensive though. But if it catches something real …

1 Like

Thank you Bicep, I agree with you on the numbers, my sugar level is now 110
Which is acceptable to me but I haven’t taken Rapa since I got the spike. I need to test more often following Rapa .
I do take vitamin D every day plus 10 other vitamins including Senolytic Activator 3 a week

1 Like

Vitamin D is (like everything else in the biochemistry of the human) complicated and unknown. I take between 5 and 10 thousand per day and get it checked yearly. I live in Iowa. Living in Florida and playing golf is good, but you probably don’t play naked and noon is best for vitamin D. It’s so variable I think it needs to be checked.

Lustgarten says you need to be in the 40’s and for reasons I don’t understand all cause mortality increases both ways from there. Down I understand, because microbial burden increases and you are more susceptible to infection with virus and everything else. I don’t know what happens when you get it too high, but it does make you more likely to die.

I did read Holick’s book The Vitamin D Solution. He’d the real expert. And there are people running around with much higher levels. In this case I’d rather be too high.

Good to hear the blood sugar is coming down, I’m curious how this turns out. Let us know,

Hi again
You take 5 to 10,00 Vitamin D, 3 I presume it’s IUs and not mcg? I take 125 mcg a day. I also have 35 grams of vitamin C by IV at least once a month ,
I have ozone Insufflation a couple of times a month . I use grounding blankets and mats and use a PEMP mat every day. My problem is, I don’t Exercise . I will let you know how I get on with Rapamycin and my glucose problem

I actually created a vitamin d product, and since it’s a hormone the cofactors like magnesium, K2, and zinc are really important. Also, boron very significantly increases D blood levels.
I suspect that many of the vitamin d studies fail due to lack of cofactors.

2 Likes

Yeah, 125mcg=5000IU. That should be working, but you only know if you test.

Yes, I test every 3/4 months, a full female panel plus extras occasionally .
Dee

I’m talking about a vitamin D test. Have you had one this year? Any numbers?

This study is worth another look. In liver transplantation patients the group on rapamycin were older and had more diabetes and hypertension. They also had significantly higher triglycerides and LDL than the control group. The rapamycin group actually had Double the 10 year cardiovascular risk and yet Did Not have more cardiovascular events. This demonstrated a significant cardinals protection from rapamycin.

6 Likes

Correction: cardiovascular protection

2 Likes

" January 1, 2001 to December 1, 2010: Sirolimus 2 mg daily without loading dose, titrated to level of 4 to 10 ng/mL (338 patients)"

There were another 70 earlier than that and they got more daily (3-5mg). Over time they have been lowering the dose probably because they have less trouble.

The stuff I’ve been reading indicates that LDL is a good guy most of the time. If you add the LP(a) or the ApoB then it gets worse. So I suppose they didn’t know enough back then to test for it.

Also when I dose biweekly my lipids aren’t so bad.

You know you can edit with the little pencil down in the lower right by the heart.

2 Likes