Rapamycin and risk of cardiovascular disease

Wait, it increases cholesterol efflux, not LDL particle efflux. In fact, cholesterol is typically effluxed to HDL particles, so if that’s clinically significant I’d think we should see an increase in HDL cholesterol with rapamycin therapy (which I’ve certainly never seen in the literature).

Undoubtedly it’s a good thing to increase oxidized cholesterol efflux, I just don’t think we can claim that this causes the increased LDL by rapamycin unless somehow LDL is picking it up instead of HDL (?).

Once again this leaves me with wanting both increased efflux of oxidized cholesterol (to get rid of the bad stuff in the plaques) and to keep LDL particles low (to keep the oxidized cholesterol out of the plaques in the first place).

Good point but rapamycin keeps cholesterol from being oxidized in the first place. Rapamycin prevents atherosclerosis via multiple mechanisms as per the study. Adding statins just adds side effects, not less atherosclerosis.

Here’s an interesting state from that paper

“ Intriguingly, with increased doses of rapa, its anti AS effects were not increased, which implies that moderate autophagy induced by low dose rapa -without inducing excessive autophagy- may be optimal for treatment of AS.”

5 Likes

I’ll grant you this, I am liking Amla extract

Very unusual for something to lower Apo b and triglycerides while raising HDL and possibly lowering blood sugars. All without side effects or lowering of CoQ-10.

3 Likes

Maybe, maybe not, but thanks to supplements like amla, citrus bergamot, grape polyphenols, gotu kola, and safer meds such as ezetimibe and PCSK9 inhibitors, who needs statins any more?:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Wow, 45000 MK4 is Huge. I didn’t know you could go that high. Thanks Rivasp12.

For the Gotu Kola Natures answer brand, I do not see any that is 425 mg? I have seen some liquid forms that are like 2000mg, I saw a capsule form that is 900 mg. I was just curious what form are you using?

Nature’s Answer is 950 mg in 2 capsules which they call one serving. I only take 1.

Thanks, also have you found another source for pine bark?
I currently am on 10mg crestor for my high LDL and I have high Lp(a), which my LDL went down since starting Crestor, obviously my Lp(a) hasnt changed much so I am trying to do things to help lower that along with protect myself from CVD/atherosclerosis.

1 Like

would you take the supplements if you were taking a statin? Just curious
I really am looking for something to help lower my Lp(a) while taking my statin

I’d give amla a try, since it has some evidence of efficacy lowering Lp(a).

3 Likes

No, still with bulk supplements. I just take more of it. I’ll use 1/4 tsp or 500 mg’s so even if it’s only giving me 250 mg’s, it’s good enough.
I hesitated to switch because the stuff works well for me. Low blood pressure, no ED, better exercise capacity and heart rate variability.

What dosage do you take when taking the amla extract from True Capros?

1 capsule twice daily

Are you taking once in the morning and once at last meal?

My lpa has been pretty good <15 except once it was 52. Then I tried the glyNAC thing for 12 weeks just to see if it would make me stronger. It did, but I had my yearly test right after and Lpa was 8. To my shock homocysteine was 5.
I got nervous about pulmonary hypertension and gave it up. Also tired of swallowing so many pills. But I believe it was what had this effect after reading these articles:
http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v06n20.shtml
Where it talks about needing lpa when vitamin C is low. They recommend 500 mg every 4 hours all day. Who can do that? So then I read about this:
http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v18n14.shtml
Which basically says a polyphenol in olive leaves and oil can restore the ability of your liver to turn glucose into vitamin C. Amazing if true and also very good for your heart.
Vitamin C has to be recharged by glutathione, so it is apparently important to have sufficient levels of that too. Anyway N=1 on this one but it did work for me to reduce my Lpa.

what brand of glyNAC do you use and how much do you take

glyNAC is short for glycine and NAC. NAC is n acetyl Cysteine. I swallow 3000 NAC and take a teaspoon of glycine dissolved in water. The protocol says to do this 3 times per day for 12 weeks. It practically doubles your glutathione. I just do it once or twice a day now, depending on how I feel or if I think of it.

1 Like

Yeah I shouldve clarified what brand do you buy from to get each compound?