Rapamycin and HRV

Do any of you monitor your heart rate variability? How does taking rapamycin effect HRV in the short term?

I recently started using a polar chestband. I was a bit disappointed with how low my HRV was, but then wondered if having taken rapa on Sunday had anything to do with it.

In any event, I should probably exercise more!

2 Likes

I monitor HRV daily with my Oura ring and havenā€™t noticed any effect of rapa. Yes, definitely should exercise more (Zone 2 training) and try to get stress levels down and optimize sleep to improve HRV.

3 Likes

I also wear an Oura ring and the only thing Iā€™ve found that consistently increases HRV is a cold shower.

3 Likes

For how long do you think this effect of a cold shower persists?

1 Like

Well I get a 5 to 10 point bump when I take a cold shower after training in the morning.

The Oura gives you an average for the time youā€™re asleep so the effect must persist for 24 hours.

3 Likes

I track my HRV too my Oura ring also and I noticed that when I donā€™t eat anything in the evening hours past 7 PM I have high HRV readings. If I snack on something after 7 PM throughout the evening I Get Low HRV readings.

5 Likes

I monitor HRV and havenā€™t seen any change with rapamycin. I did have relatively low HRV a while back, so I did the breath course on Elite HRV (which is free). It went up dramatically and stayed there.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been using elite hrv too. Iā€™ll check out the course.

1 Like

I didnā€™t see this as a free course. Do you have a link?

1 Like

I believe this is the one

4 Likes

Totally anecdotal butā€¦ 3 doses of 3mg and each time Iā€™ve seen a ~10 point drop in HRV on the first night. Might just be anxiety related

3 Likes

I took double my weekly rapa 12mg with GF juice yesterday and my HRV was excellent- I am usually average in the 50ā€™s today I had a 63.

4 Likes

Breathing exercises can also increase HRV. I use a polar chestband and Elite HRV to measure it. I also look at the HRV value on Fitbit. I have no real confidence in the fitbit value. (I use a Sense) The Elite value tends to be something like twice fitbit.

This morning Elite/Polar said 60ms and Fitbit said 27ms. I am 62 and am quite happy with an HRV of 60ms plus (it trends down with age). I am not particularly fit. I donā€™t run, but I do some resistance training upper body exercises and I walk briskly. I do not visit a gym.

I am using box breathing with a 5 heartbeat cycle to improve the Vagus nerve and potentially improve HRV. I donā€™t have solid figure on this, but I think I have pushed it (Elite HRV) up by about 5ms by using box breathing.

1 Like

How does the elite hrv value correspond with the polar fitness test value (in the polar beat app)

I donā€™t use the polar beat app, I only use the elite HRV. The point, however, is that Fitbit Sense does HRV when people are asleep. Elite is awake.

1 Like
2 Likes

The morning after I took 6mg with gfj yesterday

Trends for the past 2 weeks, previous dose was on November 6th

1 Like

I think taking the average of HRV during sleep gives a more accurate (albeit lower) score for HRV.

Maybe but I measure at around the same time each day of the week and have a set workout schedule, so days of the week should be comparable. At least rapamycin does not decrease my HRV

My view is that what matters is consistency. If you are taking a measurement during sleep then it can only be compared to other measurements during sleep.

I think myself that the value awake is probably better because of the greater activity of the HPA axis, but I record both although it appears that awake values are more commonly used for research.

1 Like