Rapamycin and Fatigue

Did any folks start out feeling somewhat fatigued by their weekly dose of rapamycin, but after several weeks or months they did not notice any fatigue or ill effects at the same dose? That to me might indicate improvement of cellular health or mitochondrial health.

Taking rapa to hopefully improve cellular health, reduce inflammation, improve mitochondrial health, reduce senescent cell burden, as I had a debilitating bout with levofloxacin 4 years ago, but was severely fatigued and exercise intolerant for about 2 years.

4 Likes

Hi,
I hope some other people respond to this,

In the mean time, some links that may be of interest:

Some people have reported this issue, and it going away after a while: Fatigue as a side effect

Some other threads:

Here: Rapamycin fatigue - #14 by DrRoss

Here: How does Rapamycin make you feel? - #15 by DeStrider

Here: Got my first ever herpes labialis / canker sore - #16 by KFISH

Yes, I often feel fatigued for the rest of the day. I’ve gotten used to it so it doesn’t affect my ability to function. Just a mild side effect. I have stretched out the dosing to 10-14 days vs. 7. I use 5 mg.

5 Likes

Yes, to feeling fatigued right after high 10 mg weekly dose within 24-48 of taking it even after doing so consistently for the last 5 years.

5 Likes

I concur with the others… I dose at night after a good workout… sleep through it. I awaken feeling a bit off and slow for the next day --which I do not workout the day after my dose.

After that initial post dose day… back to normal 100%.

6 Likes

No insomnia from taking it at night?

2 Likes

I noticed that i feel fatigued around 4-4,5 hours afterwards, and that whatever time that is, I can fall asleep if I want to. The day after lately this is gone.

3 Likes

No fatigue that I can notice. I often go to the gym to work out after taking it since I always take it with my breakfast and always train after.

1 Like

Not really.
I take and go right to bed… just wake a little slower… lol.

I like the thought of the rapamycin working on me while I’m completely at rest… all thirty eight trillion cells.

4 Likes

It might not be a direct result of the rapamycin, but rapa may be in the causal chain.

For example, I’m convinced, after a good number of repetitions, that rapa can enable EBV (Epstein-Barr Virus) to reactivate, which absolutely can cause fatigue. (Almost everyone has EBV–95% of population–but for most, it’s latent and doesn’t reactivate. Though I suspect some people don’t realize what’s going on when it does.) It can feel like a minor flu, or fatigue. Typically, your body fights it back to a latent state.

I’ve put off posting about Rapa & EBV until I had something useful to say about either possible causality chains or methods to address it. This may not be what’s happening for you, but I thought it might be useful to surface it in brief, so it’s in your mind as a possibility.

5 Likes

But it is actually quite well researched that rapamycin decreases the risk of EBV in transplant patients

Edit or was that only CMV, rapamycin does seem to prevent ebv related cancers

1 Like

Yes, the first few times. I took the rapamycin in the morning as I had read here that most people felt awake and energized and I proceeded with my workout but felt so weak from just 2mg. But now I have taken upto 16mg with grapefruit juice and notice nothing anymore

2 Likes

There’s nothing simple about this topic.

Yes, research indicates rapa can suppress EBV lytic replication (that’s the active phase of the virus). By inhibiting lytic replication, rapa may reduce viral load and help limit the spread of viruses like EBV.

At the same time, rapa can suppress (at least some) immune system functions and thereby reduce the body’s ability to control viral infections, allowing latent viruses to reactivate.

I suspect that it varies across people, rapa protocols, and immune systems.

3 Likes

I think this will be my protocol moving forward! Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

I skipped my 5mg weekly dose yesterday to see if I have more energy this week. I still find it odd that the fatigue is a delayed response that doesn’t happen until a couple days after I take it so I’m not totally convinced it’s the Rapamycin causing it. But we will see how it goes.

@Agetron I think I’m going to try taking Rapa before bed as well. Since I get tired from Rapa, it shouldn’t bother my sleep. In fact after about 6 hours I feel wiped out. It might even help my sleep if I take it in the late afternoon, and then I won’t have to deal with feeling tired the day of.

I try it in 2 weeks. Thanks.

3 Likes

I have no fatigue on rapamycin, and never had.

1 Like

Me either. Quite the opposite. I suspect this side effect is a relatively small minority.

3 Likes

Same @RapAdmin i have a hard time imagining I could sleep after taking a dose. I get a strange sense of energy and being keyed up.

1 Like

I am with @ Joseph_Lavelle on this. I get a nice afternoon nap on my dose day. Tried it at night and felt it synced nicely with a sleep fasted state. Only tried it once as I am now on a rapamycin vacation but will consider taking it at night consistently.

5 Likes