Rapamycin and exercise same day?

“IMO hip fractures has nothing to do with exercise. Almost always due to poor nutrition / supplements, and/or Rx meds. In most cases, the theory of falling & breaking hip is incorrect: the hip breaks, & the person then falls.”

I’ve heard this theory before but never from a medical doctor. There is simply no evidence to support this. This seems to be an urban myth with no data to support it. Of course, though rarely, a hip fracture occurs first then the person falls And of course, elderly people who have osteoporosis are way more likely to fracture a hip or bone if they do fall.

“There was no evidence of spontaneous fractures. In this first study of video-captured falls causing hip fracture”

The Effect of Fall Biomechanics on Risk for Hip Fracture in Older Adults: A Cohort Study of Video-Captured Falls in Long-Term Care:
https://asbmr.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jbmr.4048

2 Likes

Not really interested in one study. The majority of studies point to hips breaking during falling. My brother broke his hip through falling. I personally witnessed an old lady breaking her hip while slipping on a banana skin. In fact it was me who called an ambulance. I get my information direct from the source of many studies of research not just one. Not trying to win an argument, if you believe broken bones in the elderly are not caused by falling that is ok, but I will always believe the opposite.

3 Likes

Sorry, there is a complete misunderstanding here. I believe hip fractures are almost always caused by a fall. I don’t believe that a spontaneous fracture occurs and then the person falls. Unless I totally misinterpreted the video, I think that is what it shows; that the fall occurs first.

2 Likes

Ok I understand. Thanks for the confirmation, there are often misunderstandings on forums

2 Likes

Yes - I also believe that this is the case. I worked on a gene therapy startup company about 15 years ago and one of our areas of focus was looking at intra-muscular insertion of extra copies of the IGF-1 gene as a way to counter sarcopenia. If you avoid sarcopenia the thinking is you greatly reduce the risk of falls and broken hips.

The statistics are really sad for people who break a hip at an advanced age; 50% of people who break a hip (over the age 60) die within 2 years. It marks a fundamental change in their life trajectory. You really don’t ever want to break a hip.

2 Likes

Had my DEXA score - normal. I have a 1% chance of breaking a hip in a fall based on my numbers.

Now taking a daily calcium supplement 1000 mg to maintain my good bone density. Despite all the milk I drink - you get about 90mg of calcium. WIth my weight resistance exercise every other day… muscles take calcium… I definitely need to increase my calcium intake.

I was told by the physician you can’t reverse any bone loss from aging, but with supplements you keep what you have - prevent progression. Been thinking I should let those men on here over 60 - need to think about adding calcium to their supplements - women already get ample warning about needing more calcium. See my DEXA for bones and body composition. With rapamycin - no visceral fat. Normal range.
DEXA and Body Compostion Scan.pdf (1.5 MB)

2 Likes

Your doc said bone density cannot improve? I am pretty sure that bone mass will increase in all but the oldest individuals as an adaptation to stress. Hard work is required. Calcium, vitamin d, vitamin k, and resistance training are necessary and it takes time. A sarm like lgd4033 would help but has associated risks. I’ll bet this guy’s dexa score improved:

1 Like

You require more than “daily calcium” to increase bone density.

Review the article and paper on mega K2 – 45000 mcg {yes, 45000mcg] of MK4.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4866409/

1 Like

Really it’s irrelevant what comes first, the fracture or fall. The solution is still the same: to prevent osteosarcopenia, which high impact exercise and protein have been shown to do.

1 Like
  • Human trials have shown that daily intake of 45 mg of vitamin K2 (MK-4) maintains or increases bone density and cuts the risk of fractures.

Thanks for this… something to go with the calcium. I have zero calcium deposits or plaque in my coronary calcium scan… so will stick with the calcium for now.

Member “rivasp12” is the one who pointed this out earlier last year.

I recall he stated he had been taking the 45000mcg dose for some time and that only 1 company{Life Extension] sells in that dose size in one capsule, sold as Mega Vitamin K2.

Got me taking for a while, not recently.

1 Like

Actually running increases AMPK which reduces Mtor. This maybe one of the reasons why people who have been life long runners tend to be biologically younger in certain aspects. Weight training can do the same but it would have to be fast to create oxygen deficit. During running it is true at some stage it does increase Mtor but overall it is beneficial concerning Mtor. In fact exercise is the best overall strategy for longevity

1 Like

Hello Mac, I just noticed this comment of yours. Does this have something to do with your plant based diet? I also have a plant based diet, and when I had it checked my ferritin was very low. Since that time, I have been adding a small iron supplement to my daily stack.

FWIW: I am on a relatively low carb high protein diet and eat a fair amount of red meat.
Since taking rapamycin for 1+ yrs all indicators of iron levels have dropped since taking rapamycin. My doctor recommended stopping rapamycin for a while and taking an iron supplement, which I am doing. I believe rapamycin tends to produce anemia.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. I regularly check my iron levels so that’s something for me to consider when I do my next blood check as I started rapamycin about a month ago.

Dennis Mangan, the Dumping Iron author, would probably argue that it is good to be a bit anemic. Perhaps part of the longevity benefit from Rapamycin comes from reducing iron levels.

1 Like

But does that not make you tired all of the day? Something was, and to some extent still does, make me tired (maybe it’s old age), but I feel a bit less tired lately after taking iron supplements.

1 Like

No, this is majority related to my 5+ yrs of 8 week regular blood donations to dump iron, and the full on crossover/decline due to the recent high dose rapamycin protocol (started July '22); nothing to do with diet. I eat a plant fat based, low animal protein based keto diet, no issues with iron intake. The iron dumping (200-250mg/donation) is one of my major lifestyle intervention hacks for cardiovascular, neurodegenerative, cancer, and anti-aging benefits (PM if you want some paper links). The goal was to skirt just above “classic anemic markers” balancing with exercise output/recovery and how I generally felt (fatigue, dizziness, etc).

We know from many clinical studies that rapamycin fundamentally and very significantly disrupts iron regulation, and anemia is a well known and very common side effect (for therapeutic dosing, NOT low, intermittent dosing that people take here).

Here is a good reference on high dose therapeutic rapamycin (what I am doing) and iron dysregulation:

https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfp674

What’s also interesting in this very good rapamycin/iron study is that oral iron intake did not alleviate Hb and MCV during therapeutic rapamycin…only IV iron was able to reverse (see Table 5)

So my already borderline anemic markers were flipped to the full on “classic iron deficient anemia” after starting my high dose rapamycin protocol, but the interesting observation is lack of symptoms (to date) and able to continue my high daily exercising regiment (45 mins resistance, 3-5km Zone 2-3 cardio), without any impact or tiredness normally associated with clinical anemia. I am not 100% sure what n=1 dynamic is at play. It could be adaptation from the long term iron reduction (what my doc thinks), much higher genetic cellular iron stores than markers indicate (what I also think at play; I am homozyous H63D, so tend to store iron: Individuals homozygous for the H63D mutation have significantly elevated iron indexes - PubMed), high dose Vitamin C holding onto iron, other… But it’s still early days from a therapeutic dosing/iron dsyregulation dynamic. Thus, with markers screaming 911, I stopped donating blood (July '22 was last) when my ferritin reached 13 and saturation 9% (more concerning), as possible warning indicators for iron stores on this protocol as a precaution. If you read the paper link above (reminder, this is THERAPEUTIC dosing), iron dysregulation was ongoing during the 24 month period of this high dose rapamycin cohort (See Table 2: continuous dropping MCV, ferritin, and continuous increasing % microcytosis): I am just passing through 6 months. As a further confirmation of the dynamics findings in the above study, my MCV just hit lower lab level, and my RDW just crossed over into high, but my ferritin and transferrin bounced up some (Nov '22 labs). Clearly, my body systems are still remodelling, and I will continue tracking very closely going forward.

If you’re on a plant based diet, then you likely know you might be lacking in iron and other nutrients that are found in animal protein sources. Ferritin is a VERY poor measure of cellular iron stores, arguably useless unless perhaps at extremes as a broad indicator. I would do a full iron panel besides ferritin, and look at iron saturation whilst you take rapamycin to monitor more closely, along with full CBC. Also, if you have genomic data, look at your iron genes (although it appears you don’t have storage issues).

https://sci-hub.se/10.1146/annurev.med.50.1.87

https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-006-3210-3

4 Likes

As a life long runner who has been taking rapamycin for over 3 months now, I can tell that dosage needs to be slightly different for me. I’m not certain if that’s the case for all aerobic exercising athletes or not.
Gradually building up to 5mg with EVOO I’ve noticed some side effects that I don’t particularly like. I noticed that at 2 or 3mg with EVOO and regularly running the every day benefits seemed more in line with what I was after. I’m currently about to do a 3 week washout period and then amp backup, maybe stop at 3mg and see if there are any side effects.

Also, I think it’s important to understand that being anemic and doing regular exercise is exhausting and almost impossible. I understand that being slightly anemic is better for longevity, but I feel like this is in the non aerobic exercising population. If you are regularly doing long bouts of aerobic exercise, you are taxing your red blood cells and mitochondria in a similar manner (probably slightly different) as taking rapamycin.
I think it’s healthier to do aerobic exercise if you want longevity. I feel like rapamycin can play an important role in rolling back the clock and making aerobic exercise more fun. I’m watching my iron levels very closely because if I become anemic it’s likely due to mixing rapamycin and lots of aerobic exercise.

Seems like walking on a tight rope trying to mix the two together, but one that could pay off if carefully figured out.

1 Like

“serum ferritin levels are generally accepted as reliable single indicators of the presence of iron deficiency” From the article you cite.
Just sayin.

1 Like