Rapamycin and Acne

I feel like a young man again as far as my skin is concerned. My acne of youth is back. I’m 62, on Rapamycin for 4 months at 6mg/week. Acne to neck and upper chest, but not face. Will stop the Rapa for a month and restart to see what happens.

6 Likes

I understand.
Initially I had some acne - seemed I was getting these random yellow heads.

I thought maybe my modulated immune system was causing me to get a few more pimples - and little puss filled ones at that. They have pretty much stopped… just odd one now and then. I use a facial scrubber - mesh wash cloth to exfoliate better with good facial soap in shower.

2 Likes

I’ve now managed to minimise the acne using a mild antibacterial and exfoliating soap 1-2 times a day. Here in the UK I use Quinoderm facial wash, but I’m sure there are similar formulations elsewhere. I also began using Nizoral shampoo, as I noticed dandruff and scalp acne while using rapamycin. This has now subsided. I’ll stick to 6mg a week.

3 Likes

Interesting- I started using both a mouthwash and facial wash that inhibit bacteria, it’s seems to have helped with side effects (which just recently started these side effects after 6 months “no”side effects)

1 Like

I noticed more acne on my upper legs/neck area. I can’t tell if its 100% rapamycin as I also wear sunscreen daily over my neck(I’m from Australia, we got the highest skin cancer rates in the world).
I also wear sunscreen on my face and my face has less acne, only 1 pimple, compared to my neck which has like 7 different pimples. Maybe my neck is more sensitive? So odd. I’ll stop the sunscreen for a while and monitor it more. No canker sores yet.

Current dose: 6mg a week (no grape fruit).

1 Like

I got a spot on my neck. It’s been there a couple of weeks. I am now suspecting it is the Rapa as I never had any before. It’s taking a heck of a long time to clear up though…

2 Likes

Yes i’m suspecting rapa as well as I just noticed some spots at the back of my neck, I don’t use sunscreen on the back of my neck. Hopefully clears up.

1 Like

Picked up some 1% hydrocortisone cream. I hope it does the job!

2 Likes

I didn’t have mouth sore, but I had very painful acne both in the regime of 2mg/week sirolimus and 20mg/ bi-week.

I’ve tried oral azithromycin, topical neomycin, but it didn’t help.
Then I turned to NSAIDs, antihistamine, topical steroid, topical tretinoin(I am oily face, so I regularly use tretinoin treating my acne), but none of them are effective to the rapamycin induced acne.

• In the regime of 2mg/week, there were about 20-30 acne in my chest, it’s itchy but only 1-3 acne are painful.

• In the regime of 20mg/bi-week, there were 4-8 acne in my face, it’s not itchy but more painful than the usual acne, most of them are inflammatory papules without pus, in the most severe time, I stay in the home for 3 days because it hurts too much, recently I had one acne on my Glans penis but it’s not painful.

After reading the paper I will try topical isoconazole and oral doxycycline next time, has anyone had used isoconazole or doxycycline treating rapamycin acne? Do you have any other effective way to alleviate the rapamycin acne?

1 Like

I am using oral (3mg) and topical (.2%) rapamycin and getting acne. I’m hoping this is temporary as it has only been 2 weeks of use. While I want the anti-aging benefits, the acne is not great for my mental health. I’ve suffered with acne in the past and have had it under control for a while. Now I’m getting acne again only after starting rapamycin, so the correlation is pretty clear. Trying to determine what to do…

2 Likes

I myself am on an extended rapamycin break due to persistent acne. It’s now been ten weeks, and my skin is nearly back to what it was prior to over a year on rapamycin. Have you thought about switching to fortnightly dosing? DeStrider said that doing so help them to clear up their acne. That’s what I’ll try when I resume rapamycin.

My current hypothesis, drawing on Blagosklonny’s hyperfunction theory of aging, my n=1 self study, and my reflections on other forum members’ experiences, is that dosing should probably be age dependent. The optimal regimen for those in their 30s and 40s might be lower, fortnightly dosing. This is because the overactivation of MTOR is not yet serious, and it only needs to be slightly tamped down. With each progressing decade, as the cumulative damage of hyperfunction mounts, it would make sense to ramp up MTOR inhibition.

Like you, though, I can’t abide the acne. It may seem trivial to some, but I also find it takes a toll on one’s mental well-being.

3 Likes

Thank you for this information. I will consult my doctor on the oral rapamycin that I’m currently taking once per week. She already suggested the topical rapamycin be decreased to every other night instead of every night. I just started incorporating that cadence. We shall see. I think the most I can take of rapamycin is 5mg as I’m 100 pounds. Perhaps I should just stay at 3mg based on what you’ve noted. Thanks.

1 Like

I haven’t found the reference but read that “One Skin” is better for skin than Rapa?

Wow - you are only 100lbs. Yes - based on this, you probably want to target a lower level of rapamycin dosed once per week, or less frequently if you still get the acne.

Does the topical rapamycin seem to have any impact on the acne - good or bad?

1 Like

Yes, I’m a 5’0” female weighing 100 pounds. The topical rapamycin seems to be the major culprit for my new acne, so I am trying every other day to see if that helps at all. I’m wondering if I’m extra vigilant about exfoliating and cleansing, will that mitigate the bacterial overgrowth? I’ll try it and let the group know if I see improvements.

3 Likes

Here are some past discussions that may be of interest:

Here: Isoconazole Cream for Rapamycin Acne Works!

Here: Rapamycin and red light/NIR therapy

Here: Rapa update...upped my dose

2 Likes

Yes. That seems to be the only indication that I’m taking anything. I have no other sensations, symptoms, changes in my body or health that I can discern. But the eruption of pimples on places I’ve never had them (my neck, side of my face…) is a rather annoying effect.

1 Like

This is exactly what I noticed: acne in places I hadn’t experienced it before. I was seeing sporadic spots in places like my forearms and abdomen. More commonly, I was seeing it on the side of my face, especially on the angles of the mandible and temples.

The acne, though, didn’t appear until about 4 months after I started rapamycin, dosing at 6mg per week. It kicked off after I increased the dose to 7mg. It persisted even though I subsequently reduced the dose back to 6mg, and eventually to 5mg.

When I do resume, I’ll probably go with 5mg every two weeks.

2 Likes

I simply carried on, tolerating the acne, and periodically taking a Minocycline tablet if I remember (maybe once every 10 days or so). The acne seems to be receding. It may just be a sort of adjustment period as the immune system adjusts to the Rapamycin.

3 Likes

Yes, a few pimples appear a day or two after my dose of 6 mg. no gf juice or fat boosters

2 Likes