Possible Beneficial Relationship Between Taurine & Antioxidants

Some of us fear taking antioxidant supplements due to limited but sound research suggesting that supplementation could suppress or otherwise interfere with immune functions that kill cancer cells. I am not among those who have chosen not to supplement antioxidants but I think the risk is potentially real and, because of that, cycle some supplements.

The abstract on a 2023 short communication in the NIH stacks titled, " Taurine as a potential anti-ageing therapy: the key to reversing the ageing process? Short communication" contains hints (a) that the risks of antioxidant supplements might apply more to older adults than the young and (b) that taurine might mitigate those risks. I emphasize “might” and intend to get back to this issue when time permits. In the meantime, perhaps someone else has already dug into it.

Abstract
Taurine supplementation may be a viable solution to the problem of our cells manufacturing potentially hazardous by-products known as ‘free radicals’. Some of these chemicals serve crucial biological activities, but excessive amounts can harm internal cell structures, reducing the cells’ capacity to operate. The regulatory systems that contribute to maintaining a healthy balance of reactive oxygen species in the body deteriorate with age. Thus, in this article, we examine how the amino acid taurine could be used in anti-ageing therapy, as well as its mechanism of action, consequences and suggestions.

7 Likes

I have been looking at taurine, but I am somewhat undecided. Some seafood contains high amounts, so I do not think that consumption of a gram a day would have negative effects.
Antioxidant levels do decline with age, possibly when we need them most. However, consuming antioxidants that do not self regulate might upset the balance of oxidation that we do want. GlyNac looks the most promising to me, because it is a precursor that allows the body to self regulate the antioxidant glutathione.

I take 8 grams a day, based on research information summarized by Rimon (don’t remember his last name):

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/585ii-f0de1/The-Wellness-Messiah​-Podcast

1 Like

We need more anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory supplements (not counting NSAIDs) as we age.

Since I have gotten older anti-inflammatory supplements such as taurine and Boswellia serrata seem to be subjectively better, in the form of reduced pain, etc., than anti-oxidants.

“taurine exhibits anti-inflammatory effects through various mechanisms”

"In vitro and animal studies: Boswellic acids, the active compounds in Boswellia serrata, have demonstrated anti-inflammatory activities by inhibiting pro-inflammatory enzymes and mediators, such as 5-lipoxygenase, leukotrienes, and cytokines.’

4 Likes

I agree with you, but it seems to be another case of how much and which ones.