Peter Diamandis Longevity Protocol: Weekly 6mg Rapamycin + 100 mg Doxycycline

I’ve never heard of probiotic bacteria becoming immune to antibiotics. A healthy gut microbiome contains roughly 85-90% beneficial bacteria (probiotics) and only 10-15% “bad” bacteria. When an is taken, it kills the good and the bad. If proactive steps aren’t taken to replace the good bacteria, the balance is upset and you have dysbiosis. ONe thing that happens when the population of good bacteria declines is a change in the colonic pH…it becomes more alkaline. Under normal/healthy conditions, the pH of the colon is just slightly acidic (6.7-6.9). With dysbiosis, the colonic pH can be anywhere from 10X to 100x too alkaline (pH 8 or 9). This alkaline pH supports the growth of pathogens and suppresses the growth of probiotic bacteria. Read my paper that I referenced earlier in this thread: The Microbiome Theory of Aging. Good books on this topic are: 1) Missing Microbes by Martin Blasser, 2) The Mind-Gut Connection and The Gut-Immune Connection, both by Emeran Mayer 3) The Good Gut by Justin Sonnenburg.

5 Likes

Tangentially related to this discussion of microbiome, rapamycin and antibiotics, I was reading this paper the other day (in Drosophila, so obviously not clear how it translates to humans):

Long-lasting geroprotection from brief rapamycin treatment in early adulthood by persistently increased intestinal autophagy

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43587-022-00278-w

It noted:

Taken together, these results indicate that brief, early-life rapamycin exposure exerted long-lasting protective effects on the intestine by reducing turnover of the epithelium, and preventing age-related increase in ISC proliferation, dysplasia and loss of intestinal barrier function.

Taken together, these findings suggest that the ‘memory of rapamycin’ in elevated autophagy and improved gut health is mediated through increased expression of LManV.

These responses to rapamycin were unaffected by tetracycline treatment (Fig. 6e), suggesting that the intestinal microbiota did not play a role.

4 Likes

As it was explained to me the cell walls of three common bacteria are indistinguishable from the cartilage in and around your body’s joints. When these bacteria present in our blood the body’s immune response attacks the bacteria as well as our similar ‘looking’ cartilage.
Repeated over time with frequent low grade infections the cartilage becomes eroded to the point of causing painful body movement. Arthritis.
Doxycycline reduces the presence of these bacteria and the attendant joint destruction.
As I suffered no ill effect from the one 100mg daily dose, two family docs saw no harm in continuing.
When I visited Dr. Green he informed me that Dr. Blagosklonny considered Doxycycline a life extension drug on it’s own merit .

If it works, don’t fix it.

Daniel R Murray

5 Likes

I am “concerned” that there are too many medications and supplements with possible antiageing qualities: Doxicyclin and Deprenyl only 2 recently mentioned. And the list of supplements which may be helpful for life extension grows every day. How many medications, vitamins, supplements should one take without damaging current or future health? How does one decide what to take? Should we add one Doxicyclin a week as Dr. Diamandis does? What about one Deprenyl a week as Europeans have been doing for life extension?

3 Likes

It may have been mentioned before, but I think that a sub-antimicrobial dose of doxycycline such as 25mg/day might be a reasonable compromise. It may have been minocycline, but 20-30 years ago in skin disease, this was a “thing.” Although in the future if we are turning our gene therapies on and off with it, it wouldn’t be possible.

3 Likes

There are definitely risks with increased numbers of medications and supplements… we really have no idea of the longterm impact of the interactions of many of these drugs and compounds, so I tend to believe that we want to take as few as possible.

We have a thread on this I recommend: The Challenge of Predicting Outcomes when Mixing Longevity Therapeutics - How are you thinking about this?

3 Likes

Based on it being and IND protocol, didn’t know what that was before now and his interview with David Sinclair we could assume he is on Sinclair’s experimental protocol or some form of it where reprogramming is triggered by doxycycline administration https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7752134/

2 Likes

macneu2299, Well! You have the same questions the rest of us have. It’s a definite problem deciding what is really important and what is not. Having accumulated 15 to 20 different supplements and protocols it’s now a matter of removing the ones that are the least useful. From my point of view it would be helpful if I could find unbiased research from experts. For example, Peter Diamandis may have some useful information, but he appears to be trying to sell me something at the same time. And, there is Pankaj Kapahi in his YouTube video about “How lowering glycation affects appetite.” He sounds like he’s trying to sell me GlyLo in a low key manner based on his research. Just give me pure research without trying to sell me something is what I ask for. It certainly would save me a lot of time when investigating potentially good products. But, I know that this will not happen.

2 Likes

Very frustrating, confusing and probably dangerous. I also have at least 20 different supplements, each is recommended by the scientists as “the most important” or at least “very important” product for health and longevity. You are also correct, that the scientists somehow benefit from advertising the products and it’s impossible to find the truth.It’s also important to understand, that the scientists don’t agree with each other, so they also don’t know the truth. For example, Dr.Sinclair has been advertising Resveratrol, but Dr. Attia and Dr.Kaeberlein have been proclaiming Resveratrol’s ineffectiveness.
Dr. Sinclair has been advertising NMN and Dr. Brenner NMR.
What about diet? It’s even more confusing. Some experts recommend Keto, some only plant-food based, some - carnivore diet. Some recommend less protein and others more. Eggs good or bad?
Looks like we are on our own and have to investigate and think for our-self!

4 Likes

I tend to go with the advice of the experts that don’t have any financial connections to the compound being discussed. For example, I would tend to go with the opinions of Attia, Kaeberlein and Richard Miller (NIA ITP program) on resveratrol, over Sinclair (simply because he has had many commercial interests in the resveratrol / sirtuins area).

On the NMN/NR issue - I look for third party scientists outside of the Brenner / Sinclair sphere of commercial interest…

All of this makes it rather complex and you need to know all the commercial / research histories of the scientists, which many people may not know.

5 Likes

Absolutely agree! Thank you!!!

1 Like

RapAdmin, Yes. You’ve mentioned the ones I trust.

I have taken the approach of “let’s see what are the things that might be less available or more needed” with age and replenish them in a way that is as natural as possible. So in the anti-oxidant category, rather than go with Reservatrol or Pterostilbene I’m supplementing with NAC/Glycine to increase the levels of Glutathione which is the body’s own anti-oxidant.

Dr. Sinclair has done us all a huge favor by raising the visibility of longevity science through his book, podcast, lectures - but we need to be aware that he does what he does for self-gain. First he built the hype around Reservatrol to sell Sirtris (Sirtris Pharmaceuticals - Wikipedia) and then he built the hype around NMN to sell MIB626. Both ventures border on the unethical in my opinion. But hey, no one is all good or all bad. He simply takes advantage of systems of late stage capitalism. Let’s be thankful for what he has contributed and move on.

Which is not to say that NMN or NR or any other way to boost NAD+ are bad. I’ve found them super helpful.

5 Likes

Thought this was interesting…

AGE REVERSAL: A CONVERSATION WITH DR. DAVID SINCLAIR

WHEN MIGHT WE EXPECT TO HAVE “AGE-REVERSAL” DRUGS?

When asked when we might expect to see FDA approved “age-reversal” drugs, Dr. Sinclair’s response was that drug development “is hard…super hard.”

It often takes billions of dollars to complete clinical trials, often after many failed attempts.

But, Dr. Sinclair adds, health-span extending drugs may already be here. They just haven’t yet gone through the painstaking process of FDA trials yet.

“In my view*,” Dr. Sinclair notes, “we’ve got some drugs already–Metformin, Rapamycin–that I strongly believe can slow down aspects of aging, so we already have some technologies. They’re not evenly distributed. It’s not available to everybody because most doctors are unaware or unwilling to prescribe these medicines to people who are healthy…but the data looks good.”*

Metformin is usually used on diabetic patients, while Rapamycin is often used to prevent organ transplant rejection.

But studies have shown that Metformin’s effect on cellular metabolism and many other diseases that come with aging (diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cognitive decline) can substantially delay mortality.

So much so, that patients with diabetes and on metformin often live longer than patients without diabetes, not on Metformin.

Rapamycin similarly shows a delay in age-related pathology.

Yet, Dr. Sinclair explains, a number of safety and efficacy measures need to be cleared so that drugs can be approved for “healthy” patients.

What we’re talking about is a radical departure from traditional medicine.

We’ve all come to expect that we go to the doctor for our once-a-year physical (if we’re lucky); the doctor listens to our lungs and our hearts; and notes that our test results are not ideal, but natural “for our age.”

We don’t fight against aging. We try and do a gentle landing, if you will.

The FDA, too, is an organization built around safety, and as such is risk-averse.

If the FDA approves a drug that inadvertently kills even one person, that one life is perceived as more valuable than all the lives lost by not approving a drug.

Source:

3 Likes

Dr. Sinclair does not take Rapamycin. Did he explain why?

He has taken Rapamycin in the past. It is unclear if he is taking it now.

He probably takes it and doesn’t say :wink: Over the past few years he looks substantially younger; he might have done a laser resurfacing!

1 Like

With recent studies on the after effects of FDA approved vaccines, the claim of being built around safety is both laughable and tragic.

2 Likes

If Dan the Mason does a stool test to check his microbiome, we may get an answer…

-Fawn

2 Likes

Any consensus as to why taking doxycyclin with rapamycin would be of value?

And not just because Peter Diamandis takes it.

And at what dose?

Not another PFA.

1 Like