This seems to almost vindicate NMN at last

5 Likes
9 Likes

MK to the rescue again

2 Likes

does this supploement look credible?

okay fine it’s not a LS-extender but it’s still a healthspan/energy extender

See below:

Report on NMN supplement products: (this study only looked at the % NMN, not for any contaminants)
(and this doesn’t even touch the broader issue of whether NMN is at all effective in increasing healthspan or lifespan - as there is no good human data on that yet, and many opposing views).

Out of 22 NMN Brands tested:

• 14% had at the level, or above, level of claimed NMN
  • 23% had between 89 and 99% of the claimed level of NMN
  • 64% had NMN had under the method detection or reporting limit, or under 1% of claimed NMN
  • 14% had no NMN

Summary:

For anyone who is taking more than a couple of supplements, I would highly recommend you pay the $54 a year to join ConsumerLab.com - its got great reviews and tests of most of the supplements that people take. Here for example is a segment of the summary on NMN, NAD, NR:

From ConsumerLab.com:

5 Likes

this is useful info! isn’t NAD+ more easily absorbed than NMN depending on person?

I’ve not seen any data on bioavailability / absorption of NAD+ / NMN in humans from a reputable source.

1 Like

More commentary on Twitter about this study above:

From my understanding NAD+ as a molecule is too big to get into cells and has to be converted back to NMN by the body to be able to get in.
Taking NAD+ appears pointless to me and as for NMN in my opinion I think only people with a biological age well over 50 will see any benefit (with a chronological age of 53 I have experimented with it and as far as I can tell, all it does is make me want to go to the toilet at night. Having stopped taking it, that no longer happens - make up your own conclusions).

2 Likes

I take NMN (1g daily) and have tried two brands - ProHealth and DoNotAge. I like the DoNotAge powder better. ProHealth is a little deceptive as it states 300 NMN, but then you need to take 2 capsules to get that 300 mg. I originally thought each capsule was 300 mg when I made my calculations. I also like taking the powder directly instead of opening up capsules.

Also, you should avoid NMN and NR if you have cancer. It boosts all cells including cancer. However, I have heard that NMN will activate PARPS to protect your cells from becoming cancerous so it’s good as long as you don’t already have a tumor.

After taking NMN, I have found I have a lot more energy and not as fatigued.

2 Likes

NAD+ precursor’s such as NR and NMN has been tested many times already, NMN has a slight better results than control groups which has placebo in some trials, other times there is no difference. I can not remember a placebo controlled trial where NMN shows a statistical significant difference in health/life span. ITP tested NR and that came out with a slight negative result in longevity.
If you are looking for a compound that can give you a longer health/life span, you have to look to others than NMN. But bought NMN and NR is a good caffein/pick me up pill, like caffein NMN/NR must be taken early in the day, if you want to save your sleep.
CD38 inhibitors are a different story however, probably more interesting to look at those.

4 Likes

Here is a good video by Dr. Stanfield talking about NMN. He states if you are exercising and in good health, NMN will not make much of a difference to you. However, if you are not exercising and not in optimal health, or sleep deprived or stressed, you will probably experience a benefit from taking NMN or NR. Based on my own personal experience, this seems to be true.

According to the video, Niacin reduces cholesterol levels and may work well with Rapamycin as a counterpoint. Dr. Brad is a big Rapamycin supporter. It also seems that these supplements will primarily affect healthspan.

1 Like

This is not new.

Nician{nicotinic acid] has been known and used since the 1950’s for treating cholesterol. The original work in the US was by William B. Parsons Jr. MD in 1955/56.

NMN was my “gateway drug” into this whole world. While results are still pending on exactly how it helps and in what ways, it hs increased my ability to exercise and recover and build muscle enough that I’m going to continue using it short of findings that it’s detrimental to human health.

Right now I take rapa on Sundays and then take nmn Wednesday-Saturday. Partly to not become dependent on NAD supplementation, but also because the combination of rapa and nmn gave me too much energy and I was bouncing off the walls.

5 Likes

It’s not new, but the video is. There is a lot of concern amongst Rapamycin users about the increased cholesterol levels, so I thought I’d point this fact out that B3 can reduce cholesterol.

5 Likes

Late to this party, haven’t gone down this CD38 rabbit hole.

Anyone doing a major hack here, if so, what taking/dose, and any biomarkers to report?

I read the book you so kindly sent me a copy of, but I am not convinced that niacin is superior in any way to statins for cholesterol control. Niacin has many benefits, but longevity and limiting all cause mortality are not among them. After my most recent dive into the matter, I have decided to take neither for the time being.

Take a statin or take niacin?

Apparently, no reason to take either if you are old.

For the benefit of being reasonably brief, I am only citing two of dozens supporting this viewpoint.

Statins for primary prevention of cardiovascular events and mortality in old and very old adults with and without type 2 diabetes: retrospective cohort study

*“Conclusions In participants older than 74 years without type 2 diabetes, statin treatment was not associated with a reduction in atherosclerotic CVD or in all cause mortality, even when the incidence of atherosclerotic CVD was statistically significantly higher than the risk thresholds proposed for statin use. In the presence of diabetes, statin use was statistically significantly associated with reductions in the incidence of atherosclerotic CVD and in all cause mortality. This effect decreased after age 85 years and disappeared in nonagenarians”

Cochrane Review:

“Niacin for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular events”

“Nicotinic acid (niacin) is known to decrease LDL‐cholesterol, and triglycerides, and increase HDL‐cholesterol levels.”

“In summary, we found no evidence of benefits from niacin therapy.”

“Benefits from niacin therapy in the prevention of cardiovascular disease events are unlikely”.

2 Likes

The one way I see it helping is in stress reduction. When you see high LDL or triglycerides, it causes stress. Niacin can alleviate all of this. However, the benefit for this is more for mental health rather than physical.

1 Like

Concur, statins are NOT for primary prevention if no CVD or T2D.

Per your study.

“46,864 people aged 75 years or more without clinically recognised atherosclerotic CVD…