Niacin Increases NAD (Test Results)

18 Likes

Hi Mike, welcome to our forums. Thanks for posting. Many of us are familiar with your work (I used to be a Patreon subscriber of yours) and appreciate the scientific rigor you bring to the endeavor.

I highly recommend Mike’s Patreon account - I just didn’t have time to really use it.

8 Likes

Thanks, Mike. I used this result to add niacin to my stack to boost NAD. Thanks for all your great work!

4 Likes

Thanks Joseph. Besides increasing NAD, there may be a caveat for niacin-my DunedinPACE went haywire (0.98, easily my worst to-date) with the 2.5x increase for NAD on niacin. I may have gone too high above baseline (25um), thereby messing up methylation status. I’ll cover that in an upcoming video…

5 Likes

Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer. Your LDL is quite good, but PCSK9 inhibitor trials show a regression in plaques from reducing LDL from levels as ‘high’ as yours and of course a reduction of events in those with high risk. This probably implies that the disease won’t progress as fast or at all by lowering to lower levels. Given the fact that 95%+ of men have a positive CAC score at above age of 70, I don’t think it’s enough to have an LDL around the 20-25th percentile which you have. Of course these trials are able to assess causality. Regarding ACM I have a meta-analysis of statin trials showing a reduction in ACM dependent on LDL decrease.

CACMen

And ACM U-shape curves show up in all kinds of weird places suggesting for example being overweight, high blood pressure, etc is better than normal, which intuitively can make some of us skeptical about it.

4 Likes

This is all serum levels correct? How does this relate to intercellular or in the mitochondria?

1 Like

Mike how do you feel about liposomal nmn if you’ve had any experience with it? Thats what I’ve been taking. Stanfield also has a good video about regular nmn not really working that well

1 Like

@ConquerAging Thanks for the heads up. I’ll look for the new video. I’d hate to have to give up my AM flushing. I just love that burning feeling.

2 Likes

Hey sunshine4,1000 mg of NMN raised NAD to 39 uM, whereas a lower niacin dose increased it to 67 uM. I’m not sure if liposomal would be better-the only way to know is to test…

4 Likes

Intra-blood cells. Hard to say about intracellular in liver or muscle, though.

In terms of mitochondria, I’ve been sending NAD samples for analysis on the same day as metabolomics-I’ll look at mitochondrial-specific metabolites (TCA cycle metabolites, acylcarnitines) to get a measure of whether NAD may be increased in tissues, too.

3 Likes

@ConquerAging Thanks for accepting my invite Mike. It’s an honor and a pleasure to have you here collaborating and brainstorming with us. Your videos are excellent!

7 Likes

No thanks. It took me two months to recover from a case of gout induced by niacin.

1 Like

Interesting… never something I’ve heard of before…

Niacin can also occasionally increase plasma uric acid levels and induce gout (102). This effect may be due to the inhibition effect of niacin on uricase, an oxidizing enzyme of uric acid (103), or due to a decrease in uric acid excretion (104).

3 Likes

Hi Alex, do you have any sources (papers) on this, or is this from your personal experience?

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks DeStrider, and likewise, as a strong community challenges me, which helps in making quality videos. So I’m glad to be here, too!

5 Likes

I mentioned the DunedinPACE info above, Alex, 3h before your comment. Also, I’m not sure if niacin raised my homocysteine, as it was in the ~11 range without it.

1 Like

Niacinamide increased homocysteine in this RCT: Comparison of the effects of nicotinic acid and nicotinamide degradation on plasma betaine and choline levels - PubMed

3 Likes

Wouldn’t any potential risk of gout be mitigated by also taking low dose colchicine (0.50mg)?

1 Like

Welcome Mike, I wonder sometimes if increasing NAD to the extent that it speeds up deacetylation would be pro-aging.

2 Likes