New Richard Miller / ITP Paper: Astaxanthin and meclizine extend lifespan 12%, 8% respectively

It actually appears this is the company that sent their product to the ITP but it’s the exact same more bioavailabile form of Astaxanthin

https://zanthosyn.com/

Zanthosyn is the branded name for Cardax’s synthetic asta, which the ITP paper (quoted above) says they got from Cardax. AX3 and Cardax are both selling the same product and are located in Honolulu. I’m assuming they’re the same company using different names for different business purposes.

1 Like

Related:

3 Likes

Did you you at the papers if in human and primates - anything more key to know from them?

Interesting that it was 8-fold in primates at 48 hours compared to natural. Could it be that the 3-fold in human is because of it just being at 24 hours - wonder what happens with repeat doing over a longer time period in humans.

When it comes to carotenoids, Bryan Kennedy tested once beta carotene in mice - he said it decreased lifespan of male mice by 20% - but increased maximum lifespan of mice that survived - he tested only 1 dose - and he didn’t say how big dose was.

From what I’ve read, it is beta carotene as a supplement that is bad, not carotenoids from food. I have not read any material excoriating carotene in carrots, pumpkins, or tomatoes.

Curiously, Bryan Kennedy applied for a patent which includes beta carotene.

1. The method of claim 1, wherein the vitamin A compound is selected from the group consisting of retinol, retinal, retinoic acid, retinyl palmitate, alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, and gammacarotene.
3 Likes

Looks like he has AKG, vitamin A and berberine about covered.

I’ve been thinking about AKG, but not tried it yet. Doing so much it seems like I might end up with supplements canceling each other out.

1 Like

Believe it or not, back in the day, people were overdosing on beta-carotene to get a fake sun tan.
It was a hot item in the press etc, until it started to be associated with lung cancer.

2 Likes

Are you perhaps thinking of cryptoxanthin? Beta-carotene doesn’t make you look tan no matter how much you take.

Natural astaxanthin is too expensive, so I plan to take BASF or DSM’s synthetic astaxanthin, which is very cheap. What are everyone’s opinions?

2 Likes

Great idea. Let us know how it works out.

Naked mole-rat is a paragon of rodent longevity and displays both enhanced NRF2 activity and remarkable cancer resistance. Upregulating endogenous antioxidant synthesis is a more subtle approach than systemic small molecule antioxidants, and would be more likely to preserve physiological ROS signaling.

We used a comparative approach and examined Nrf2-signaling activity in naked mole-rats and nine other rodent species with varying maximum lifespan potential (MLSP). We found that constitutive Nrf2-signaling activity was positively correlated (P = 0.0285) with MLSP and that this activity was also manifested in high levels of downstream gene expression and activity. Surprisingly, we found that species longevity was not linked to the protein levels of Nrf2 itself, but rather showed a significant (P < 0.01) negative relationship with the regulators Kelch-like ECH-Associated Protein 1 (Keap1) and β-transducin repeat-containing protein (βTrCP), which target Nrf2 for degradation.
Regulation of Nrf2 signaling and longevity in naturally long-lived rodents

In addition to their longevity, naked mole rats show an unusual resistance to cancer. Multi-year observations of large naked mole-rat colonies did not detect a single incidence of cancer
High-molecular-mass hyaluronan mediates the cancer resistance of the naked mole rat

When you look at the bowhead whale, current evidence suggests they achieve 200yr+ MLS by minimizing genomic damage, primarily via enhanced efficiency and fidelity of double-strand break repair, which can be caused by ROS. Low cancer incidence as well despite 1,000x more cells than humans, which suggests that efficiently and accurately repairing genomic lesions (or preventing them in the first place) is more effective than layers of tumor suppressor mechanisms.

5 Likes

I believe many of these drugs & supplements that are beneficial are more likely to be synergistic than antagonistic. Just look at Rapamycin & Acarbose or Glycine & NAC working better together.

2 Likes

I believe this ties well into glycine and NAC (cysteine) which create glutathione (GSH) the ‘master’ antioxidant. GLYNAC does increase life expectancy in mice quite dramatically. High GSH levels are also associated with longer lifespans in humans.

You are right, but some people thought it did based on some bad reporting. I personally knew a lady that was using it for that.

Where can you get DSM’s synthetic?

What sort of price are we talking about, how cheap ?

My daughter was juicing and eating carrots like crazy for reasons I still don’t understand and she did turn orange. It looked kinda like a tan. But not on purpose.

2 Likes

In China, fish farming often requires the synthesis of astaxanthin. I found an online fish feed seller who has 10% synthetic astaxanthin from DSM and BASF. I purchased 100 grams of synthetic astaxanthin and eat one gram a day, which means I consume 100 milligrams of synthetic astaxanthin every day.

I’d be very cautious about this approach. I’m not sure about the quality requirements (purity / contaminants, etc.) for fish food products… compared to human food grade products. Generally people care a lot less if some contaminant in the food ends up killing a fish a year or two earlier, than they do about if the same happens to a person. Quality control, etc. may not be as high for animal feed products. I don’t know this area of food production… so would do a lot of research around this and get the quality information from the companies producing it.

Perhaps some people here who may have some experience in the animal food industry can comment…

I posted all the quality / analysis information on the DSM food grade product here: Astaxanthin, Natural vs. Synthetic - Your Thoughts?

If you can, and decide to continue with this route, please post the quality / product info and pricing for the animal feed DSM and BASF products.

3 Likes

I don’t think either of these are approved for human consumption although they are used in fish farms.