New Richard Miller / ITP Paper: Astaxanthin and meclizine extend lifespan 12%, 8% respectively

With regard to the synthetic astaxanthin they used at 1840 ppm feed:

To convert from ppm feed in mice to mg/kg bodyweight in humans:

Step 1: Convert PPM in mouse chow to mg/kg bodyweight in mice by multiplying by a factor of 0.150: (or divide by 7)

1840 ÷ 7 ≈ 263 mg/kg (*)

Step 2: Apply allometric scaling to convert from mouse to human (divide by 12.3):

263 mg/kg ÷ 12.3 = 21.4 mg/kg. (**)

Step 3: Multiply by human weight in kg to determine personal dosage estimate. For example, a 70 kg person:

21.4 mg/kg × 70 kg = 1498 mg. Approximately 1.5 grams.

Tables:

Sources:

(*) Nair A, Morsy MA, Jacob S. Dose translation between laboratory animals and human in preclinical and clinical phases of drug development. Drug Dev Res . 2018;79(8):373-382. doi:10.1002/ddr.21461.

(**) Nair AB, Jacob S. A simple practice guide for dose conversion between animals and human. J Basic Clin Pharm . 2016;7(2):27-31. doi:10.4103/0976-0105.177703

10 Likes

Thank you!

Wow. 4-12 milligrams is the recommended human dose usually.

I hope we haven’t been wasting our time with baby doses all this time

1 Like

I’m sure baby doses of Astaxanthin have some effect. Whether that is the full effect or not is debatable. It does seem to help prevent sunburn at a 10 mg daily dose.

2 Likes

BTW the synthetic astaxanthin used is 3x more potent than the natural one so you have to multiply the dose by 3 if using natural astaxanthin.

The superior bioavailability of synthetic Asta beadlets compared to microalgal Asta was demonstrated in a human pharmacokinetic study (approximately threefold higher exposure in plasma over 24 h;

1 Like

What’s the dosing for Meclizine in humans, 25 mg? How would one approach this?

1 Like

See the Meclizine thread: Meclizine / Dramamine II, Approx 15% Lifespan Increase, Another mTORC1 Inhibitor

1 Like

New podcast with Richard Miller was just released talking about this result.

8 Likes

1:48:48 - The ITP study of 17⍺-estradiol: mechanisms of life extension and surprising sex differences
1:58:34 - Unsuccessful drugs studied by the ITP: resveratrol, metformin, and nicotinamide riboside
2:09:13 - Over-the-counter successes in the ITP: meclizine and astaxanthin
2:16:00 - A senolytic drug, fisetin, fails to extend lifespan

I usually don’t watch YouTube videos that are over 30 minutes, but this video is very informative and well worth watching in its entirety.

7 Likes

Well that didn’t take me long. Was toying with Meclizine for sleep anyway - this research clinched the deal. Indian suppliers already informed.

P.S. I am going to rattle like a pill bottle on the treadmill when doing my longevity zone 2 training :joy:

It was good. I was surprised at the general dismissal of Senolytics. Fisetin is out.

I wouldn’t take anything that would mess with the prostate. Meclizine is out. Benadryl is out.

I’m not pay $000’s to get grams of Astaxanthin. Maybe they figure out an affordable dose is with taking but I’m out for now. I’ll get what I get from salmon.

4 Likes

The ITP is testing 800ppm next so perhaps even <1g of astaxanthin would suffice.

That’s still a hell of a lot.

1 Like

300 mg sounds like a very large dose when 25 mg is psychoactive and reduce motion sickness.

1 Like

It is taken in large doses as a sleep aid. I have taken doses up to 100mg with no ill effects. It is an effective sleep aid for some and didn’t have any next-day after-effects for me. I agree that 300 mg seems like a lot, but I don’t know because I haven’t found any long-term studies using that amount.

The recommended max dosage at one time seems to be 50 mg.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/meclizine-oral-route/before-using/drg-20075849?p=1

I think the right approach for these longevity compounds is to start with, what is used in clincial trials in humans? What is the common dosage? What is more likely to be safe? Nobody starts taking 24 mg rapamycin a day even though that’s estimated to be the conversion from rat to humans…

1 Like

But the doses used in clinical trials are for indications other than aging. Those give us a clue about safety and side-effects, but they provide no rationale for using those doses for longevity purposes.

You’re right that (next to) nobody starts taking 24 mg rapamycin a day even though that’s estimated to be the conversion from rat to humans; the question is whether people taking the standard 6 mg once a week are therefore wasting their time, since the animal evidence is nearly the only relevant evidence we have. (The Mannick studies are of course relevant, but they could indicate nothing more than efficacy at boosting interferon-mediated immunity).

The standard dose of methotrexate for autoimmune diseases is 2.5 mg 2-4 times a week; the standard dose for some cancers is 15 to 20 mg weekly, and can go as high as several hundred milligrams.

1 Like

It sounds impressive in this study, I don’t know what it means.
From reddit.

A patent from improving muscle mass apparently:

That does help in deciding the appropriate dosing for longevity though, as if you increase the dosage based on mice study you have to balance it with what’s determined safe in humans (longevity in humans).

What makes me uncertain mostly about meclizine is that it is psychoactive. Anticholinergic, etc.

3 Likes

The Mayo Clinic will never, never recommend the maximum therapeutic dosage for any off-label use of a drug. They are as conservative as WebMD. Many people on this forum are willing to experiment with rather high dosages of substances as long as they are well within the lethal dose range.
Rapamycin is an example, though there doesn’t seem to be a lethal dose.

1 Like

I am excited that AnUser found this patent. This is the first time I have seen any dosing info for muscle hypertrophy

I haven’t taken meclizine in about a year.
Since I am currently in an increased muscle mass competition with some other older members of the forum and I have an ample supply of meclizine on hand, I will start taking it again at night before bedtime. 100 mg/day caused me no side effects that I am aware of, and I considered it a clean sleep aid in that, it had no morning-after effects such as daytime tiredness.
Since I am now testing monthly I will see if any of my markers change significantly.

Anti-histamines are generally not recommended for older people because of increased dementia concerns. After reading several papers, it seems that the studies were looking at people who already had dementia. I didn’t find a paper that said they cause dementia.

the dose can be set so that the amount of active ingredient per day is 1 mg to 500 mg, preferably 5 mg to 300 mg, particularly preferably 10 mg to 200 mg. As the administration schedule, for example, once to several times a day, once every two days, or once every three days can be adopted.”

New Richard Miller / ITP Paper: Astaxanthin and meclizine extend lifespan 12%, 8% respectively - #35 by AnUser

4 Likes