New Rapamycin podcast with Mikhail Blagosklonny

In this epic podcast episode I interview the world’s leading Rapamycin researcher Mikhail Blagosklonny. His contribution to moving the Rapamycin longevity field forward has been huge and we would not be here where we are today without all his great work and passion in the field. I feel that this episode took my longevity knowledge to the next level. Especially because of these three key takeaways.

:one: I got a deeper understanding of the hyperfunction theory and how mTOR drives age-related diseases and why Rapamycin is a promising candidate to delay this process. But also why for example centenarians probably live a longer life.

:two: The hyperfunction theory also fits well with my current mindset and the theory was like a big missing puzzle piece that I found. I feel thanks to this that my overall work with my own longevity journey will improve a lot. The theory will not often give detailed answers on specific cases but I think it will help me in guiding me in the right general direction in different cases.

:three: It was interesting to get Mikhail’s view on the glucose regulating drug Acarbose and that he personally prefers a low carb diet when combining it with Rapamycin. I’m already satisfied with the levels of carbs in my diet that I eat today. It’s not a high carb diet or a ketogenic diet but something in the middle. So things point more and more to the fact that I will try to add Acarbose to my longevity stack at the beginning of next year. I don’t want to decide yet what I will do so I will keep the door open for other alternatives until January when I do some kind of improvement to my longevity protocol.

We were all shocked when Mikhail recently revealed that he was diagnosed with lung cancer which had spread to his brain. What he is now dedicating his life to really shows what unique person he is. He is now using his passion, knowledge and his great mind to develop a new form of treatment to cure his cancer. This is his life mission now and this is something he will share with us in the future. May the force be with you, my friend :pray:

Time clips
02:32 Current situation and mission
04:07 Why did Rapamycin not prevent his cancer?
06:33 He develops a new type of cancer treatment
08:32 Hyperfunction theory of age-related diseases
10:38 mTOR drives age-related diseases
13:00 Hyperfunction theory and the car analogy
17:20 Difference between new and old version of hyperfunction theory
19:58 Prediction based on hyperfunction theory
21:38 Rapamycin seems to work at any age
23:55 Rapamycin will not make you immortal
26:21 Rapamycin delays lung cancer in mice
27:44 Hyperfunction theory and hormesis
29:13 Rapamycin combination with fasting or calorie restriction
30:33 Rapamycin combination with Acarbose or low carb diet
31:40 Rapamycin combination with exercise
33:04 Exercise and longevity effect
36:10 mTOR sweet spot
38:44 Why do centenarians live a long life?
40:36 Theory of accumulation of molecular damage
44:04 Hyperfunction theory was initially rejected
47:47 Rapamycin research that is missing
51:44 Rapamycin and bacterial infection
53:30 Rapamycin side effect on longevity dose regime
55:50 Rapamycin and pseudo-diabetes
58:51 Rapamycin combination of Acarbose or low carb diet
1:00:09 Rapamycin and increase in lipids
1:02:19 mTOR, mTORC1 and mTORC2
1:05:22 Mikhail’s self-experimentation with Rapamycin
1:10:41 Rapamycin and traditional medical care
1:11:13 Rapamycin and unacceptable side effects
1:14:26 Rapamycin and combinations to avoid
1:16:55 Rapamycin and high protein intake
1:18:08 Best time to start taking Rapamycin
1:21:00 Does Rapamycin prevent cancer or not?
1:23:52 Autophagy is a double-edged sword
1:26:51 Important insight from his cancer
1:28:38 Rapamycin rebound effect
1:30:24 Difference between theory and practice
1:32:45 Mikhail’s cancer and cancer treatment
1:37:36 Rapamycin and danger

29 Likes

Thank you for doing this. I’m going to digest this one slowly.

5 Likes

Yes thank you. I find your podcast very insightful.

3 Likes

@Joseph_Lavelle :pray: Yes, I think it can be good to take it step by step. I have tried in different ways to clarify things in both in the podcast but also in the bonus slides that I created for the youtube. I can really recommend to look at the youtube version to get a more deep knowledge thanks to the bonus slides.

@Livin Big thanks!

1 Like

@Krister_Kauppi Thanks for the reminder. I will use YouTube for your podcasts. The slides are helpful.

2 Likes

This are some of my favorite slides

Screenshot 2023-08-23 184036

Screenshot 2023-08-23 192005

Screenshot 2023-08-23 192049

Screenshot 2023-08-23 192123

Screenshot 2023-08-23 192203

Screenshot 2023-08-23 192227

Screenshot 2023-08-23 192330

13 Likes

Fantastic work Krister, as always!

4 Likes

How is he doing in your assessment? I think he had a stroke again perhaps? his talk is a bit slurred. Pray for his recovery.

Thanks Kris, for the superb work. Do you have a transcript by any chance? Sometimes his talk is not very clear, a bit of muffed.

2 Likes

Just a note to @Krister_Kauppi , I’ve used this service for transcribing recorded interviews before and it works pretty well:

3 Likes

@Jonas
My guess is that he currently is going through a tough treatment and on top of that is focusing on developing his new cancer treatment. When I talked to him he was happy and had good energy but cancer treatment can drain people of energy etc. We all hope he will recover from this and come back :heart:

Regarding transcript have not created it but there is a automatic function in youtube if you press the CC button then you will get subtitles to the video. See attached image

Then it’s also possible to click this button on the youtube to get transscript and can search in it.

@RapAdmin What do you think about the above functionality. Would Otter.ai add even more value?

4 Likes

Thanks very much! Very informative, and I hope the experimental therapy helps Dr Blagosklonny!

1 Like

great, thanks Kris as always!

1 Like

I’m sure that you will find a way to beat your cancer.

1 Like

I’m not sure… the advantage of the Otter.ai transcript is that you have a nice document with all the information that people can read and review more quickly (not everyone wants to listen to a full podcast or has the time to do so).

I suspect most people aren’t going to use the YouTube transcript - its not really designed for readability, and YouTube is entirely optimized around video so its likely never going to be great.

But - you don’t have a real website (to the best of my knowledge) and so maybe it doesn’t make any sense to do a transcript. Even with the output from Otter.ai it still takes time to clean up the text of the interview. Its amazing how disjointed conversations are when you see the interview transcribed perfectly into a text document. I’m sure it depends on the people involved in the interview, but from my experience, I think most people do not speak as clearly as they think they speak (at least when its converted to text).

2 Likes

Thank you for the awesome interview, Krister! I wish Dr Blagosklonny the best.
Questions: 1. If low protein diet under age 65 is best for longevity, then why would you combine a low carb diet with Rapamycin? wouldn’t a low protein diet combined with Rapamycin be better for those under 65?
2. Why animal protein? I thought animal protein increases MTOR, cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. What’s bad about plant proteins?

Thanks,
Fawn (WFPB vegan taking Rapamycin weekly.)

2 Likes

Here is a great clip with Peter Attia interviewing Matt Kaeberlein. I think it will give you some interesting insight in the area.

Regarding question one why a low carb diet is a better alternative than low protein diet to Acarbose is that a low carb diet mimics better what acarbose does. Acarbose lowers the glucose levels which has shown good lifespan effects in mice in the ITP. Low carb diet lowers also glucose levels by lowering carbs. Low protein diet does not lower glucose levels as good as a low carb diet.

Regarding question 2 this is a thing which is still under debate but I prefer to strive for medium protein intake and mix it with animal and plant protein. Not to go extreme on any of the camps but if this is optimal for us humans no one knows yet.

2 Likes

Misha is back :pray:

https://twitter.com/Blagosklonny/status/1697576770667475094

https://twitter.com/Blagosklonny/status/1697596374789878230

6 Likes

Thanks for the Peter Attia with Matt K interview. It is all very interesting but so inconclusive. I will be doing a Viome home test soon and hope to get some personal insight into what works best in my body.

2 Likes

Yes, the problem is that we don’t know what is best and that is a bit frustrating. If we would have known then there would not have been the different camps out there still debating. It probably also differs between individuals what is best. Even if the person has same gender and are at same age. So there are different parameters to take into account. Hope you find a level that works great for you. I will try to dig more in this some how in future podcast to see if we can bring more light to the topic.

2 Likes