New Paper: Targeting the Biology of Aging with mTOR inhibitors

This is a new paper by Joan Mannick and Dudley Lamming. It is a good review of the ongoing development in the area of mTOR inhibitors.

Both of these authors are involved in startup longevity biotech companies developing their own MTOR inhibitors that will be competitive to rapamycin. I suspect that having a significant financial benefit tied to these other compounds biases these authors (at some level) against rapamycin. Not that they would consciously misrepresent the science. Rather the issue is its hard for humans to be objective when your income/ or large stock payout is based on how well your new drug competes against the cheap generic drug. A skeptic might view the entire paper as a marketing pitch by these founders for their “new and improved” rapamycin-like drugs (mTOR inhibitors).

It will be perhaps another decade before these new mTOR inhibitors become available and are clinically validated at a level similar to that of rapamycin. Moreover, the cost-benefit analysis of these new drugs (likely to be priced very high) vs. rapamycin at $1/mg to $2/mg remains to be seen.

And of course, many people may be taking Acarbose or other drugs that can mitigate any side effects of rapamycin and further increase lifespan, so ultimately I suspect the key issue in longevity science is around the total cost and effectiveness of the entire set of longevity drugs that an individual is taking.

Mannick_et_al-2023-Nature_Aging.pdf (2.0 MB)

7 Likes

Something that I find unfortunate is that most studies on novel mtor inhibitors don’t have another arm to also compare an intervention against rapamycin. If they’re so confident about the new new molecule why not demonstrate that it’s superior to rapamycin

2 Likes

This article was published 4 days ago. Not sure if it has already been posted. It is a comprehensive review of current research on mTOR inhibitors from Mannick and Lamming.

Points of Note:

In this Review, we will discuss data generated over the past decade suggesting that the beneficial effects of rapamycin on healthspan and lifespan are mediated by inhibition of mTORC1, whereas the negative effects of rapamycin on glucose and lipid metabolism are mediated by inhibition of mTORC2.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43587-023-00416-y

4 Likes

Seems like the authors are advocating for low dose (1mg) daily dosing of Rapamycin or Intermittent dosing. They think 3 mg daily is too much for anyone except transplant patients.

I especially like this table - The effect of rapamycin on mice with various diseases:

For instance, if the mice had diabetes, Rapamycin shortened their lifespan. However, for most other diseases Rapamycin added significantly to their lifespans.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43587-023-00416-y/tables/2

1 Like

Stem cells

In contrast to its actions on cancer stems cells, rapamycin has been shown to have beneficial effects on self-renewal and function in normal stem cells, which may contribute to the benefits of rapamycin on tissue function.

2 Likes