Lab results after 4 months of use

Your TG/HDL is 0.66…phenomenal. NO CVD risk issues that I can tell on your rapamycin protocol so far.

For reference, this is what 16% to 5.5% looks like.

1 Like

I’m closer to week 12 than week 8. But hey, I’m not 50 ;). I started IF a year ago and it did improve my body fat by a lot.

As far as the TG/HDL ratio is concerned, take into account that the results are in mmol/L and not mg/dL (American measures).

Best,

I converted your units to mg/dL before I calculated TG/HDL.

Are you dissing us 50+ cohorts…is that a body fat challenge?!

Like golf, I need a handicap to make this even…1% for every decade, so 2.5% for 25 yr age gap.

So if I get to 10.5% and you’re 8%, we’re biometrically even? LOL

4 Likes

ahahaha nice try :wink:

Here’s my supplements lists (Daily);

Health wise
NMN
Resveratrol
Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Zinc
Multivitamin (a day out of three)

Sports related
Creatine Monohydrate
Beta alanine
Ands NMN does improve performance lol. More stamina with it than without. Wonder if it’s going to be tested in the coming future!

1 Like

Absolutely - I understand. Its just that a study was recently completed that showed rapamycin + acarbose has had the best longevity results ever tested in the National Institutes on Aging ITP program, with a 29% lifespan improvement when initiated in younger mice.

Welcome
Not medical advice, just my personal non-expert opinion.
You are almost exactly the same size and weight as I am. ~6’2", 174lbs, BMI ~ 22. Fortunately for you, you are much younger than my 81 yrs.
I also do intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting normally raises morning glucose blood levels.

I am a follower of Dr. B. and I follow the high dosage protocol. But, I don’t think it is the right protocol for young people. Old people need very high doses because we are in fact “old” and haven’t been taking rapamycin for a long time and need to catch up. For that, we need the highest safe doses possible.
Younger people on the other hand will be taking for decades to come and I think lower sustained dosage regimens are more appropriate and safer until we find out more about long-term supplementation with rapamycin. I think your 5mg weekly dose is quite appropriate and I wouldn’t change it.

2 Likes

You guys are all keen on expensive placebos eh?! Just listen to MKs exasperated reaction when Ferris mentions resveratrol. Then later in reference to David Sinclair, ‘Look man, I would stop. This is done…’.

How do you quantify ‘more stamina’? I monitor my endurance metrics very closely and NMN made zero difference to FTP or VO2… and current literature (when you drill down) supports that.

1 Like

Agreed. Been on NMN and Resveratrol for a year, first 2 weeks I got the placebo effect after that nothing much. Feel no difference one week with or one week without, so stopped taking it. There are better supplements out there that works.

2 Likes

And, to my point on the other thread, how can you tease out the effects of one intervention when you’ve also introduced two or three others? It’s just bad science.

1 Like

At your age I was 6’1 and 150 lbs. Exercised regularly. My HbA1C was always 5.7 to 5.9. Never became diabetic and CAC of zero.
I would keep your rapa dose at 5 mg at your age.

1 Like

I’ve taken metformin in the past (for about 6 months) without having any serious side effects. For anti-aging purpose. No reason in particular for discontinuing other than having to resort to indian online pharmacies… I could try starting it back and it’d probably lower my HBA1C.

What’s the general consensus on this forum regarding Metformin? Why recommend Acarbose over it? Any interesting literature I should read? As you can probably guess by my supplements/drugs regimen, I’m a David Sincair advocate.

Best,

1 Like

Thanks for you feedback. I’ll have another blood panel next month to make sure my HBA1C is back to normal. If so, I’ll restart Rapamycin at 5mg (and test my glucose level via a glucometer) and see from there.

1 Like

Did you ever respond to your A1C level pre rapamcyin?

And whether Rapamycin was the only intervention change that could be the causative agent?

Didn’t measure anything regarding the NMN stamina. Mostly anecdotal. I do recover faster in between sets at the gym and after long tennis rallies. I take 700mg of NMN/day. I recommended NMN to three other people I know (young males) and they have the same positive effects regarding stamina. A V02 test prior and after supplementation would obviously be interesting.

1 Like

Blockquote
Did you ever respond to your A1C level pre rapamcyin?

No, never had a blood panel prior to starting rapamycin.

Ah, so we don’t really know the impact of rapamycin. Seems odd that your lipids remained fine, yet A1C rose on rapamycin. Normally lipids go first followed by hyperglycemia at higher dosing. You’re not on a high dose. So that dosen’t make obvious sense, but like everything else on this forum “who knows”.

You’d have to do a full washout, don’t change anything else to see effect.

1 Like

Alex - I agree with MAC that if you don’t have tests before rapamycin, you can’t really tell if rapamycin caused the high HbA1c.

By the way, a glucose meter does not provide sufficient information. A better option would be a continuous glucose monitor (CGM). It’s possible that even if your glucose level is normal 1 hour after eating, you had a glucose spike during the hour, which can only be captured by a CGM and not a glucose meter. Also, some of the foods that we think of as having low GI can still produce glucose spikes. One example is oatmeal. Reaction to the same food also varies from person to person, so you don’t really know until you use a CGM.

I would recommend you check out hacks recommended by Jesse Inchauspe, aka Glucose Goddess. She also wrote a book called “Glucose Revolution.” Her hacks to lower postprandial glucose include: 1) add vinegar; 2) eat veggies first, then protein, then carbs; 3) never eat “naked carbs,” i.e. carbs by itself, always eat with protein and/or fat; 4) take a walk (or move) after eating. These are the ones that I’m aware of. She may have other hacks in her book, but I’m not sure since I haven’t read her book. I’ve watched/listened to her interviews.

In addition, 50% carbs seems a bit high. Maybe you can play with the carbs and fat % and see if it has any impact on HbA1c. Also, you can test fasting insulin in the future, just to have another data point.

2 Likes

I agree about the positive effects of NMN. It’s been a game changer for me. I’ve tried NR too. They both work. My parents have also seen positive changes. My wife didn’t see much change but she’s always been high a energy person. Different symptoms improved for all of us, Whatever was wrong with me it was a 10 to 12 year decline in physical and mental function that these NAD precursors solved. I’ll never go off it. The improvements have been that substantial. I think it’s very person specific and you have to be in a tissue NAD deficit notice results. It affects so many biochemical processes that I don’t think you can predict how it’ll affect a particular individual.

2 Likes

Hmm :thinking: more ‘energy’? What quantifiable metric did NMN improve?:

I measure and track:

Resting HR
HRV
FTP
VO2
Anaerobic capacity
Peak power
Body weight
Total sleep
Deep and REM sleep
Chess ELO
Etc

Zero difference after 6 months at 1 to 1.5g per day. I’d love to see a double blind study in a credible journal that shows any benefit. Based on the current literature it only ‘works’ to lighten your wallet.

My advice, be highly skeptical of anything originating from David Sinclair. But as MK says, the placebo effect is real (and very powerful).

1 Like