Lab results after 4 months of use

Thanks for you feedback. I’ll have another blood panel next month to make sure my HBA1C is back to normal. If so, I’ll restart Rapamycin at 5mg (and test my glucose level via a glucometer) and see from there.

1 Like

Did you ever respond to your A1C level pre rapamcyin?

And whether Rapamycin was the only intervention change that could be the causative agent?

Didn’t measure anything regarding the NMN stamina. Mostly anecdotal. I do recover faster in between sets at the gym and after long tennis rallies. I take 700mg of NMN/day. I recommended NMN to three other people I know (young males) and they have the same positive effects regarding stamina. A V02 test prior and after supplementation would obviously be interesting.

1 Like

Blockquote
Did you ever respond to your A1C level pre rapamcyin?

No, never had a blood panel prior to starting rapamycin.

Ah, so we don’t really know the impact of rapamycin. Seems odd that your lipids remained fine, yet A1C rose on rapamycin. Normally lipids go first followed by hyperglycemia at higher dosing. You’re not on a high dose. So that dosen’t make obvious sense, but like everything else on this forum “who knows”.

You’d have to do a full washout, don’t change anything else to see effect.

1 Like

Alex - I agree with MAC that if you don’t have tests before rapamycin, you can’t really tell if rapamycin caused the high HbA1c.

By the way, a glucose meter does not provide sufficient information. A better option would be a continuous glucose monitor (CGM). It’s possible that even if your glucose level is normal 1 hour after eating, you had a glucose spike during the hour, which can only be captured by a CGM and not a glucose meter. Also, some of the foods that we think of as having low GI can still produce glucose spikes. One example is oatmeal. Reaction to the same food also varies from person to person, so you don’t really know until you use a CGM.

I would recommend you check out hacks recommended by Jesse Inchauspe, aka Glucose Goddess. She also wrote a book called “Glucose Revolution.” Her hacks to lower postprandial glucose include: 1) add vinegar; 2) eat veggies first, then protein, then carbs; 3) never eat “naked carbs,” i.e. carbs by itself, always eat with protein and/or fat; 4) take a walk (or move) after eating. These are the ones that I’m aware of. She may have other hacks in her book, but I’m not sure since I haven’t read her book. I’ve watched/listened to her interviews.

In addition, 50% carbs seems a bit high. Maybe you can play with the carbs and fat % and see if it has any impact on HbA1c. Also, you can test fasting insulin in the future, just to have another data point.

2 Likes

I agree about the positive effects of NMN. It’s been a game changer for me. I’ve tried NR too. They both work. My parents have also seen positive changes. My wife didn’t see much change but she’s always been high a energy person. Different symptoms improved for all of us, Whatever was wrong with me it was a 10 to 12 year decline in physical and mental function that these NAD precursors solved. I’ll never go off it. The improvements have been that substantial. I think it’s very person specific and you have to be in a tissue NAD deficit notice results. It affects so many biochemical processes that I don’t think you can predict how it’ll affect a particular individual.

2 Likes

Hmm :thinking: more ‘energy’? What quantifiable metric did NMN improve?:

I measure and track:

Resting HR
HRV
FTP
VO2
Anaerobic capacity
Peak power
Body weight
Total sleep
Deep and REM sleep
Chess ELO
Etc

Zero difference after 6 months at 1 to 1.5g per day. I’d love to see a double blind study in a credible journal that shows any benefit. Based on the current literature it only ‘works’ to lighten your wallet.

My advice, be highly skeptical of anything originating from David Sinclair. But as MK says, the placebo effect is real (and very powerful).

1 Like

Nothing quantifiable because I started wearing my wearables after beginning supplementation. It was blind luck that I tried NMN and it happened to be exactly what I needed. In retrospect I wish I had the presence of mind to do baseline measurements such as stride length etc. So unfortunately no baseline to compare to. That being said, inability to measure doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. It works for me so I don’t really care if others believe. All I can do is tell you what happened to me. I believe I was suffering from some sort of myopathy. I spent a lot of my time resting on my back due to pain and fatigue. I look at family pictures and I was always lying down in the background. This condition gradually got worse over a decade or so. My results are purely subjective and have nothing to do with David Sinclair. The 1st improvement I noticed about 2 weeks after commencing supplementation was my gait improved. My strides were longer and I was lifting my feet higher. My 3 mile walk time dropped about ten minutes. 2nd improvement was my chronic back pain disappeared. 3rd my ability to lift weights improved. After a 10 year decline I started being able to lift heavier and I needed minimal rest between sets. Prior to NMN I had found myself unable to lift effectively anymore and I was gradually losing muscle mass. Completely abnormal for someone in his 30s and 40s. Other improvements I’ve noticed are I’m much more alert and almost no brain fog anymore. I can read through a journal article once and retain everything. I used to have to reread things several times to retain any of it. I’m mentally sharp every day now. It doesn’t matter how well I’ve slept or how I’ve eaten. I’ve become a morning person. If you knew me before you’d realize that in itself is nothing short of a miracle. I was the quintessential night owl prior to NMN. My mood is much better. When you’re in pain you’re chronically cranky. I can run long distances without the respiratory fatigue I used to struggle with. I have what I would call a 2nd wind again. I liken it to when I was younger and I could sleep very little go to university all day and then even though I was tired I could always find the energy to go out that night with friends. That disappeared in my 30s and now is back again. I don’t crash in the afternoon anymore. I used to have to load up with coffees after 2 pm to stay alert. I used to have chronically knotted muscles. I’d do a 20 min stretching routine every morning to loosen myself up enough to function. I’d get massages every 2 weeks. Now it doesn’t occur to me to stretch. I don’t get massages anymore either. I just don’t need them. That’s all I can think of off hand but this supplement has affected every aspect of my life. I buy the powder by the kg from China and ship it directly to me. The NR they sell also works the same IMO. Perhaps the source of your NMN is the reason you see no results? I also don’t think most people are overly self aware. Sometimes It’s not until you have a debilitating condition that you really notice improvements.

3 Likes

”In God we trust. All others must bring data.” - Deming

1 Like

I’ve been on and off NR for 4 years trying to figure it out. I’ve come to realize that it energizes me if I use it 3x’s a week. More than that gives me some anxiety.
Things can always be placebo in these circumstances, but the placebo effect is real, even in people who are aware that it’s a placebo, so I’m okay with that too.

IMO opinion my results are too profound to be placebo. Plus I didn’t expect this supplement to work since nothing else I did for myself made an ounce of difference. So it’s not like I was emotionally attached to it to begin with. But it is what it is. The Placebo effect is definitely real. I don’t dispute that. But even more prevalent is closed mindedness. Sometimes people pick a side and find themselves so devoutly engrained in that opinion that they can’t see outside the box they’ve created. It’s a form of radicalism. I think having an open mind despite taking an evidence based position is important.

2 Likes

I just follow the data. Anecdotes and feelings are irrelevant.

If you want to pay £100 a month for a placebo, crack on.

Great post, Alex, and thanks for sharing your journey with us! Do you take grapejuice or any fatty food like sardines with your rapamycin to increase the effective dose? This is good data to provide.

Do you have had felt any side effects?

1 Like

I don’t take nmn and have no dog in the fight. That guy Richard on Modern Healthspan is a big fan of it, though. He says it reversed his wife’s menopause.

2 Likes

I do agree that a continuous glucose monitor would be the most appripriate option. However, I did continue using my glucometer in the last few days (I’d say about 20 stripes overall) and didn’t get any results over 5,8 mmol/L. And I did test at different intervals (30min, 1h, 2h) after carb heavy meals (80 + grams).

I had a look at Jesse Inchauspé’s blog and it’s quite interesting. Will show to my girlfriend who sometimes struggle (lack of energy) after eating carbs.

With my blood glucose levels measurements from the last days (and my diet is pretty consistent form weeks to weeks) I’d definitely put my money on Rapamycin for messing with HBA1C.

1 Like

My NMN supplementation cost me about 150 CAD $ a year for 700mg a day. Resveratrol about 80 CAD $ for 500mg a day. Pretty small burden on my personal finances

1 Like

Maybe better just to give the money to charity if you really don’t need it…

Data suggests a reduction in lifespan:

5 Likes

Hello Krister!

I do take my Rapamycin on an empty stomach and I dissolve it in about 5ml of peanut oil (whatever fat) to help with the absorption. Only side effect I had (beside the messed up HBA1C…) was a mouth ulcer on the first week starting.

3 Likes

Interesting, I never heard of anyone taking it with peanut oil. The one thing regarding that type of oil is that its high in omega 6 so I would probably take another oil with less omega 6. Do you or someone else here know if the peanut oil increase the effective dose anything?