Is methylene blue useful?

I’ve been using vit c myself and always have blue pee so the vit c can’t completely negate the MB. Today I took mb without vit c. My pee has not turned blue at all. Very strange.

for me it would take at least 24 hours after taking MB for the urine to turn blue. Basically, it is not instantaneous.

1 Like

I’m describing a change in my experience. I’ll keep experimenting with it and report back here.

1 Like

[quote=“Joseph_Lavelle, post:96, topic:1485”]
if you can fix the underlying reason for the mitochondria dysfunction

As we age, somatic mutations accumulate in mitochondrial DNA, leading to impaired mitochondrial function over time.
I don’t think that I am going eliminate old age. :smile: So, in the meantime, I will be taking MB.
I expect that younger people might not feel the effect of MB unless they have been exposed to heigh levels of environmental toxins.
But, MB is one of the very few supplements that has improved my energy levels and stamina.

Just a thought: I would expect that the dose to recover mitochondrial dysfunction would be age-dependent. If I were young, I would only be taking small doses.

7 Likes

When I try a new protocol I try to keep the variables as low as possible.
Since I started daily doses of ~45 mg Mb, after only three days it seems to have greatly stimulated my appetite. Before, I was seldom hungry but for the last two days, I have significantly increased my food intake.
Have you noticed an increased appetite from taking larger doses of MB?
I can find zero papers indicating that MB increases appetite. Still, I find it odd that after taking rapamycin for over two years which decreased my appetite suddenly my appetite has increased after just taking a few high doses of MB.
Maybe just a coincidence. If something doesn’t change in a few weeks I will go back to lower doses of MB

4 Likes

Actually, I felt it made me hungrier also when i was taking MB (and for me that is a bad thing. Food and sex is all I live for, and don’t need outside help for neither lol)

As a side note though, I don’t think that MB is something that needs to be taken daily for long periods of time. It is rather one of those things that it is good to take maybe for 10 days every couple month or so. I don’t know how to explain but I felt some weird effect after doing it for 10 or so, and i think I stopped at two weeks mark. I plan on trying again but not for longer than 7 days and then rest for month or so. Plus, while I also felt it made me stronger (i guess can be called more energy) I did not feel it is something that is going to be a net positive for longevity (I know it is subjective and sounds weird to say it this way, but I literally get an internal feeling that certain things are real good for longevity, while others either hurt or do nothing. I.E I wouldn’t even care if there were studies saying that RAPA is bad, because I know it for a fact it is helpful-just the way It makes me feel. By same talking i rarely drink, but i can definitely tell/see that drinking is relatively bad for longevity. Same with some food, when I eat my favorite organic steak, or wild salmon i can literally feel that something amazing is happening with my body. I have zero such feeling when i eat pork, or chicken as an example even though I enjoy them both. Organ meat btw gives me that feeling also)

1 Like

@desertshores Yes, Dr Sherr said MB boosts metabolism. This makes sense as MB causes the mitochondria to make more ATP.

If being extra hungry wasn’t happening before, the higher dose was probably the right move. Watch the pee color. If it starts being darker blue back off a bit.

3 Likes

Presently, a nice aquamarine. :smile:

5 Likes

One more thing re: MB. Gut Health

MB is an antimicrobial. Maybe you like the microbes living in your gut. Dr Sherr says low doses aren’t a problem. Big doses might be if taken too often.

Something to ponder.

3 Likes

Workout Benefit? I continue to have the issue of feeling weaker when I take MB before a workout. This happens both with weights (can lift less weight) and cycling (power feels harder). Dr Sherr said his endurance athletes get a boost, so somehow I get a different effect in my muscles. I do get a brain boost though, which is what I’m after anyway (I just avoid taking any right before a workout).

1 Like

How much do you take?

1 Like

@John_Hemming 10mg per dose. Sometime I’ll do 2 doses in a day. Rarely will I use MB more than 3 days in a row.

Using pee color as a guide, I’m using too little. Clear or pale blue color.

1 Like

Best to get pH strips to check urinary pH.

10mg is not a massive dose. It is within the reasonable range.

Its an odd response for it. When I take it I take it with a number of mitochondrial boosters so I cannot necessarily isolate out the effects of MB.

1 Like

Of course, everyone is different. As I posted before I don’t think high doses of methylene blue are particularly useful to someone as young as you.
I am stoked by the benefits I am feeling from a high dose (actually a low dose therapeutic-wise) of ~45mg of MB. I have more energy at the gym and I am steadily increasing my all-time highs in weight resistance training. I have increased my weight loads in the gym in every area. N=!
What I think is happening is that MB combined with red light therapy is increasing my mitochondrial function to more youthful levels.

2 Likes

@desertshores Yes. That’s what Id like to get as well but maybe I don’t “need” it in my muscles so I don’t get a boost there. Anyway I like the nootropic effects.

1 Like

@John_Hemming I’ll get the strips to see what’s what. Thanks.

I think pH strips are best because they give a better guide (litmus papers), the urinary strips that test for lots of things tend not to be as good on pH.

1 Like

So what do you think the proper pH of urine should be?

1 Like

https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/tests/urine-ph-test#:~:text=A%20urine%20pH%20test%20measures,the%20formation%20of%20kidney%20stones.

It looks like “normal” urine ph has a wide range.

Ahhh so this is why she was doing an IV. And it must have been diluted. Makes it expensive and I would think short lived anyway. Still don’t know what they’re thinking.