Is 5 years of Rapamycin Enough?

Not so much weight as ratio.

So I take 2 of the 375 mg and try to only take 200-250 mg of the inositol powder. A good ratio is 3/1 or 4/1.

1 Like

To reduce cancer risk, reduce insulin resistance.

3 Likes

Kind of intuitive as cancer thrives on glucose. The more glucose in the bloodstream, the more food for cancer.

1 Like

My IP-6 book is sitting on my counter daring me to read it. If it helps with insulin resistance then I will certainly take it.

FWIW

Rapamycin (sirolimus) is synthesis, it is not extract ed/collected from a natural compound.

That is why Pfizer had a patent on rapamycin (sirolimus)

If rapamycin (sirolimus) where “natural” such as no IP, you would have never heard of it

Total synthesis of rapamycin

https://chemistry-europe.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/chem.200801656

1 Like

Not completely sure what you’re saying here, but my understanding is that it is a protein made by a bacteria. I think they still do it that way, am I wrong?

Very possibly they can synthesize it, probably are synthesizing the rapalogs and new stuff. Actually if the Rapa I’m using is synthesized, I really don’t care as long as it’s bioidentical, but I think they’re still doing it the old fashoned way.

As far as I’m concerned the question is moot, since natural things kill us all the time and many things synthesized can save your life. Also we may just be pointlessly arguing about the word natural, in that case never mind.

2 Likes

FWIW

“The rapamycin macrolide is synthesized via a mixed polyketide synthase-nonribosomal peptide synthetase enzymatic complex

Production of Novel Rapamycin Analogs by Precursor-Directed Biosynthesis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1082568/

2 Likes

“ Up to 50% the approved drugs during the last 30 years are from either directly or indirectly from natural products and in the area of cancer, over the time frame from around the 1940s to date, of the 175 small molecules 85 actually being either natural products or directly derived there from.”

Veeresham C. Natural products derived from plants as a source of drugs. J Adv Pharm Technol Res. 2012 Oct;3(4):200-1. doi: 10.4103/2231-4040.104709. PMID: 23378939; PMCID: PMC3560124.

2 Likes

Natural products derived from plants as a source of drugs

Nature, the master of craftsman of molecules created almost an inexhaustible array of molecular entities. It stands as an infinite resource for drug development, novel chemotypes and pharmacophores, and scaffolds for amplification into efficacious drugs for a multitude of disease indications and other valuable bioactive agents. Since time immemorial, natural products have been the backbone of traditional system of healing throughout the globe, and have also been an integral part of history and culture. Although the use of bioactive natural products as herbal drug preparations dates back hundreds, even thousands, of years ago, their application as isolated and characterized compounds to modern drug discovery and development started only in the 19th century. It has been well documented that natural products played critical roles in modern drug development, especially for antibacterial and antitumor agents. Even though popularity of the synthetic products increased due to its production cost, time effectiveness, easy quality control, stringent regulation and quick effects, but their safety and efficacy was always remained questionable, resulting in the dependence on the natural products by more than 80% of the total population in the developing world, because of its time tested safety and efficacy. A huge number of natural product-derived compounds in various stages of clinical development highlighted the existing viability and significance of the use of natural products as sources of new drug candi

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3560124/

2 Likes

Hi! I wonder if you pollen allergy still is very much diminished? This is my first year on rapa and we are about to enter the pollen season. I look forward to see if rapa has any effect on my seasonal allergy which is mostly from birch trees.

1 Like

For me no pollen issues… on rapamycin 2 years 8 months.

Normally, before Rapamycin I suffer for a month beginning in spring…cedar, and in fall with ragweed. Had no symptoms last year for either… mowed right through the ragweed.

My sinus cavities feel fuller, more moist in a good way… kind of like the real old dogs I have seen on rapamycin. Their noses suddenly are moist again… and they start sniffing everything… like their sense of smell has returned. WOOF!

No flonase for me this year. Yeah!

Anyone else getting this regeneration of sinus tissues??

5 Likes

I think what he means to say is not that there aren’t healther 65 year olds vs less healthy 65 year olds… but that no 65 year old is not as healthy as a health 18 year old. Even the absolutely healthiest person of that age is in worse shape than probably an average 18 year old in at least a few areas.

He didn’t mean it as a criticism or to encourage people to give up, quite the contrary. The idea is to remind people that aging itself needs to be addressed. Even what we call a “healthy 65 year old” is still a relative statement compared to other 65 year olds, not compared to a human of any age at their peak health.

3 Likes

I agree. It is more of a wake up call at this age to be aware that changes are coming - funcitonal declines, possible chronoc disease… lost of muscle, atheroclerosis memory and more.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, Paul, huge decrease in cancer risk seen. But another way to look at it is that if cancer is so easily prevented, what are people who get cancer doing; cancer rates are elevated in diabetes and metabolic syndrome, and over half the American population qualifies as having those, and many more have some degree of poor metabolic health. Remarks on this board about cancer risk seem to reflect a common belief that cancer just appears out of nowhere. Sure, it does sometimes, and it might be impossible to pinpoint a cause, but unhealthy lifestyles of overweight, eating junk food, and being sedentary promote cancer. Seems to me that being fit and eating right is the most important cancer prevention strategy.

2 Likes

Poor metabolic health almost always leads to chronic inflammation, often as a result of excessive visceral fat, which underlies virtually all of the diseases of aging, including cancer.
Vince Giuliano once stated that he’ll never get cancer because his inflammatory state is so low. He’s now in his 90’s and going strong.

6 Likes

Now that you mention it, yes, maybe so.

I had been wondering why my sense of smell had seemed to be getting more acute over the past couple of years. It is known that it is more likely to be diminishing with old age.

2 Likes

Exactly with old dogs on rapamycin their nose and their sinuses kind of regenerate and suddenly they have wet noses again. So these old pups start getting. better smelling ability and stuff. It happens to us humans too.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing a wealth of info on rapamycin as a doctor and as a user. I am reasonably healthy (normal blood work) but have long suffered eczema and psoriasis on and off and have been on prednisone cream for a long time and on occasion that I have to be on oral as well. As a result, I developed some osteoporosis in my joints here and there. I stopped oral prednisone and started on rapamycin 3 months ago. At first, was 2mg daily then upon improvement (within 1 month), I reduced it to 1mg. My skin condition improved by 70% as of now but was not completely cleared. I am thinking of a dose of 4mg weekly and then 1mg daily given my particular situation (a low chronic inflammation ie psoriasis/eczema). What do you think? TIA

1 Like

It’s impossible to say given that you’re using rapamycin for a specific medical concern. My feeling in general now is to use the lowest efficacious dose weekly if possible.

2 Likes

Thanks, I am thinking I am getting some benefit of disease-specific effect with my 2 or 1mg rapamycin and but at the current dosage, I am not getting the “longevity” benefit of rapamycin. I do plan to meet with Dr. Alan Green sometime this yr. Psoriasis is part of the result of an overactive mTorc1 as I understand it. I believe Dr. Blagosklonny recently proposed (2023) that the effective dose of rapamycin is the dose that does not cause significant side effects for the said individual. Towards disease-oriented dosing of rapamycin for longevity: does aging exist or only age-related diseases? | Aging

1 Like