Is 5 years of Rapamycin Enough?

Brandy, I do like the bulk supplement brand in general. Shamsuddin takes 2 twice a day for prevention, which is about 1200 mg IP 6 with 300 inositol. Apparently, IP 6 when combined with inositol breaks down into 2 IP3’s. This causes a significant increase of intracellular calcium. Under normal conditions that would increase the rate of cell division, but paradoxically in this situation the opposite occurs as well as a conversion of cancer cells from an immature state to a well differentiated mature state.
Still cancer, but behaves like normal cells.
It also helps with a myriad of age related diseases. Very much like rapamycin but via a different pathway.
Would love to see them tested as a synergy.

1 Like

Even helps as a skin cream. The parallels with rapamycin are striking to me. Not as good probably, but still

rivasp12 have you reviewed;

Rapamycin and quasi-programmed aging: four years later

Mikhail V Blagosklonny. Cell Cycle. 2010.

4 Likes

Absolutely one of his best. This is what makes him so unique. He’s in that one percent of doctors stepping out of the box and actually daring to make bold predictions. It’s on the backs of this one percent that medical science progresses.
One thing that confuses me somewhat is prediction #9. He talks about pulses of rapamycin being necessary for stem cell rejuvenation, and it can only occur when rapamycin is stopped. Stopped for how long? Is weekly dosing considered stopping?
It brings me back to my initial premise- do we need a periodic break from it or can we just go weekly forever?

2 Likes

Ask this question to Blagosklonny - Contact/Follow - https://mobile.twitter.com/Blagosklonny and Klickstein - Contact - lloyd.klickstein@novartis.com

FWIW…

In Attia interview 118, Lloyd Klickstein in his opinion stated a break is required as mTORC2 is downstream and possible activated by mTORC1. He states this towards the end of interview.

We keep looking for the black cat in the darken room.

1 Like

This is way above my pay grade, some random more recent papers on Rapamycin/stem cells

" Excessive size may represent a failure to divide. It shows that the growth in cell size that accompanies aging reduces the fitness of hematopoietic stem cells and might be one of the mechanisms of cellular senescence. When young mice were treated with rapamycin starting at week 8 of life, HCS enlargement was prevented, and these smaller HSCs demonstrated better proliferation potential than HSCs from untreated mice of the same ageThe study also discovered a potential mechanism of action of rapamycin, one of the most popular molecules in aging research"

“Adult stem cells replenish dying cells and regenerate damaged tissues throughout our lifetime. We lose many of those stem cells, along with their regenerative capacity, as we age. Working in flies and mice, researchers at the Buck Institute and elsewhere discovered that TOR, a nutrient-sensing pathway which is central to the aging process, drives the loss of adult stem cells. Repeated regenerative episodes during the life time of an animal thus results in a loss of
basal cells that can be reversed by chronic supplementation with rapamycin.”

Full paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5823264/pdf/nihms925397.pdf

3 Likes

Thanks Mac
These are fascinating studies. First off rapamycin rescues and rejuvenates stem cells. Then rapamycin lowers cell metabolism leading to smaller cells which are more functional. A certain degree of mTOR activity is necessary. No big deal. Rapamycin is only a partial inhibitor.
Cell metabolism almost certainly leads to excess heat production, or thermogenesis, which is probably why it can lower body temperature. This could be an easy and significant biomarker. All you need is a thermometer.

4 Likes

So many unanswered questions. But here’s option B: aging to death.
I don’t like that option so I’ll keep just guessing on how best to use rapamycin.

2 Likes

You could accelerate (anti-aging) things along and move to somewhere really cold and pop Rapamycin.

East Antarctic Plateau where temperatures in several hollows can dip below minus 133.6 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 92 degrees Celsius) on a clear winter night.

3 Likes

My wife says not to tempt me.

1 Like

Oymyakon is a rural locality in Oymyakonsky District of the Sakha Republic, Russia, located in the Yana-Oymyakon Highlands, along the Indigirka River, 30 km northwest of Tomtor on the Kolyma Highway. By winter average temperatures, it is the coldest permanently inhabited settlement on Earth.

1 Like

More of the story.
I’ve been on weekly rapamycin, as stated previously, for about 5 years. Haven’t been sick once with anything. I switched over to a higher biweekly dose and in the intervening week promptly got the flu.
Aware of Alan Green’s advice that it could be bacterial, I stopped rapamycin, and even considered stopping it for a while.
I first got sick on April 12th. By April 29 th , I still had a cough and significant fatigue. I’m very frustrated at this point and restart rapamycin at my old dose of 6 mg’s. Two days later I’m very much better. Today I’m good, Monday, May 2nd.
It’s only a study of one and not cause and effect, but it’s good enough for me.
I should have stayed weekly.
Rapamycin did not lead to some secondary bacterial infection.
I believe that it clearly boosted my immunity.
I’ve answered my own question and will most likely never stop it.

10 Likes

Very interesting.
Only an n of 1 but maybe tells us something about not needing to go ever higher with dosing.
I guess we all have to find our own sweet spot.

RPS. There are many unknowns here which makes us pioneers and kind of exciting. But we have to admit that the human data isn’t there and we’re just making some educated guesses. It still beats just surrendering to aging without putting up a good fight!

2 Likes

Saw this older post from you and thought I would reply. There is always a risk-reward ratio on taking drugs. When we start to get side-effects we back off to a lesser dose which is logical. You are correct that without human trials it is difficult to know for sure what is the proper dose of rapa. But if 45 mg weekly is optimum, but comes with many side effects that make life unbearable then it is not optimum in my opinion. But we do have an excellent article from Dr. Mikhail V. Blagosklonny on determining your own personal optimum dose for longevity purposes. Rapamycin for longevity: opinion article - PMC. Dr. B’s current dose is 20 mg bi-weekly, I follow him on Twitter along with Rapamycin News.

3 Likes

I’m more just thinking that, like with any drug , we need to be prudent.

I don’t know. $2500 for whole body seems pretty high to me.

1 Like

Very interesting info about IP6. Was not familiar with it. What dose are you taking? Thank you for sharing :blush:

I get inositol powder from NOW and take 1/4 teaspoon or about 400 mg’s. I get IP- 6 from vitacost and take 2 a day, though Shamsuddin takes double that.

1 Like

Are you taking 375 mg ip6 or 800mg capsules? Is it weight dependent? Trying to figure out the lowest dose for myself (110 lbs).