Is 5 years of Rapamycin Enough?

I really don’t know. It’s a synergy but I’m not sure why.

These studies just die on the vine. No money in it.

“A combination of IP6 and inositol proved better than either compound separately at inhibiting tumor growth, possibly because together they yield inositol triphosphate (IP3), which regulates cell growth, she said.”

Seems counterintuitive to take a “sugar molecule” (inositol) for what is considered a sugar thirsty proliferator…cancer. Go figure.

1 Like

Yeah, it is counterintuitive if you think about it, but so is rapamycin, and then I saw this study where weekly prednisone cured obesity in mice. Go figure. It’s all too complicated for my IQ level.

How is Rapamcin counterintuitive…from an immunosuppression extending lifespan point of view? We’ve known for a long time mTOR1 suppression extends lifespans in various animal models.

Yes, from the immunosuppressive viewpoint. It’s why most doctors tell patients that they’re crazy to even consider it.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Rapamycin and Grapefruit Juice

Mac, so doctors are:
Very conservative by nature.
Not big on prevention which isn’t stressed in medical schools.
Risk averse.
Lawsuit conscious.
Anxious to not be criticized by their peers.
Like to have multiple human RCT’s.
Not willing to think outside the box.

4 Likes

Well, glad to have you with us!

Mac. To clarify, there is nothing wrong with those type of doctors. I’ve dealt with them my whole career and they’re a nice enough sort, they care about their patients and they fill a real need.
But medical science doesn’t progress without the Blagosklonny types who dare to think outside the box, express their views openly, make brazen predictions, and then self experiment. It is on the backs of these few and daring geniuses that medicine truly advances.

3 Likes

Mac. Yes, go for 800/200. If you get around to reading the book he explains the synergy. Need a degree in biochemistry to understand it.

Dr. Green was the 1st. patient.

2 Likes

Rivasp, have you looked into the BulkSupplements brand of IP-6 and Inositol (available on Amazon)? Seems like it is the most economical option and a reputable supplement brand.

For general prevention purposes in a healthy person, what is the daily dosage of IP-6 and Inositol recommended by Dr. Shamsuddin? Thanks.

Brandy, I do like the bulk supplement brand in general. Shamsuddin takes 2 twice a day for prevention, which is about 1200 mg IP 6 with 300 inositol. Apparently, IP 6 when combined with inositol breaks down into 2 IP3’s. This causes a significant increase of intracellular calcium. Under normal conditions that would increase the rate of cell division, but paradoxically in this situation the opposite occurs as well as a conversion of cancer cells from an immature state to a well differentiated mature state.
Still cancer, but behaves like normal cells.
It also helps with a myriad of age related diseases. Very much like rapamycin but via a different pathway.
Would love to see them tested as a synergy.

1 Like

Even helps as a skin cream. The parallels with rapamycin are striking to me. Not as good probably, but still

rivasp12 have you reviewed;

Rapamycin and quasi-programmed aging: four years later

Mikhail V Blagosklonny. Cell Cycle. 2010.

4 Likes

Absolutely one of his best. This is what makes him so unique. He’s in that one percent of doctors stepping out of the box and actually daring to make bold predictions. It’s on the backs of this one percent that medical science progresses.
One thing that confuses me somewhat is prediction #9. He talks about pulses of rapamycin being necessary for stem cell rejuvenation, and it can only occur when rapamycin is stopped. Stopped for how long? Is weekly dosing considered stopping?
It brings me back to my initial premise- do we need a periodic break from it or can we just go weekly forever?

2 Likes

Ask this question to Blagosklonny - Contact/Follow - https://mobile.twitter.com/Blagosklonny and Klickstein - Contact - lloyd.klickstein@novartis.com

FWIW…

In Attia interview 118, Lloyd Klickstein in his opinion stated a break is required as mTORC2 is downstream and possible activated by mTORC1. He states this towards the end of interview.

We keep looking for the black cat in the darken room.

1 Like

This is way above my pay grade, some random more recent papers on Rapamycin/stem cells

" Excessive size may represent a failure to divide. It shows that the growth in cell size that accompanies aging reduces the fitness of hematopoietic stem cells and might be one of the mechanisms of cellular senescence. When young mice were treated with rapamycin starting at week 8 of life, HCS enlargement was prevented, and these smaller HSCs demonstrated better proliferation potential than HSCs from untreated mice of the same ageThe study also discovered a potential mechanism of action of rapamycin, one of the most popular molecules in aging research"

“Adult stem cells replenish dying cells and regenerate damaged tissues throughout our lifetime. We lose many of those stem cells, along with their regenerative capacity, as we age. Working in flies and mice, researchers at the Buck Institute and elsewhere discovered that TOR, a nutrient-sensing pathway which is central to the aging process, drives the loss of adult stem cells. Repeated regenerative episodes during the life time of an animal thus results in a loss of
basal cells that can be reversed by chronic supplementation with rapamycin.”

Full paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5823264/pdf/nihms925397.pdf

3 Likes

Thanks Mac
These are fascinating studies. First off rapamycin rescues and rejuvenates stem cells. Then rapamycin lowers cell metabolism leading to smaller cells which are more functional. A certain degree of mTOR activity is necessary. No big deal. Rapamycin is only a partial inhibitor.
Cell metabolism almost certainly leads to excess heat production, or thermogenesis, which is probably why it can lower body temperature. This could be an easy and significant biomarker. All you need is a thermometer.

4 Likes

So many unanswered questions. But here’s option B: aging to death.
I don’t like that option so I’ll keep just guessing on how best to use rapamycin.

2 Likes