Intermittent (oral) Rybelsus / Semaglutide use in healthy individuals?

I just took 2 14mg pills and notice an effect at last (but need to wait a day to see how long it lasts/if it is worth it). 1 14 mg pill did not do anything to reduce hunger.

Edit several hours later: it did not prevent me from wolfing down 2 pints of blueberries and one entire box of almonds (160*6 * 0.80 calories). I’ll see if it still prevents me from further hunger cravings tho. Or needing to drink an entire box of almond milk and needing more raspberries. Damnit, after several hours it doesn’t help that much.

I’m still going to try more semaglutide at some later day but I think the oral just won’t work. My friend who has tried terepatride has had better experiences.

I also don’t need semaglutide as much as other people, but I lose so much mental energy/time to needing to eat that I just want this mental load over with for once.

Alex - have you done any blood tests and biological age calculations in the past year? Can you share them? Would love to see how things are going for you in this area…

I am having the same experiences of hunger with the oral version. The injectable is harder to obtain but I may give it a try

3mg everyday, then I tried 6 mg everyday

When I started Rapamycin in June 2022, I weighed 178lbs and had a Body Fat of 18.3% (DEXA). I now weigh 187lbs which is not the direction I was hoping my weight would go. I just ordered some Semaglutide and will start a 0.25mg a week protocol. I may do another DEXA scan before starting. I am hoping for results similar to @AmyK and @Rapasailor. Are there any recommended blood test to monitor for adverse effects?

1 Like

The only adverse effect is an elevated resting heart rate. You really have to eat protein and lift weights on Semaglutide. It’s catabolic to muscle. Also, don’t drink calories. Did you see: Lean mass loss on GLP-1 receptor agonists

2 Likes

Reading through this interesting thread, I find the accounts describing the use of GLP-1a’s pretty accurate. Lots of relevant points regarding low/micro dosing, questions about long term use/need, availability. It has been a game changer for so many of my clients, but remains an evolving area. Getting to an optimal lean weight is probably one of the most important ways of improving health and preventing chronic diseases.

I am one of the few MD’s board certified in obesity/weight loss medicine and actually trained in the use of these medications. Our concierge practice is specialized on the intersection of Age-performance / Weight loss / Cancer prevention, and we work outside of insurance constraints to help manage our clients to get the prescription, off-label and compounded medications they need. We follow our clients closely to ensure safety and efficacy with the support of an expert medical team. One day the traditional medical community may catch on how important this is, but for now we fill this large un-met need for personalized age-performance and preventative care.

So, for those looking for qualified, professional assistance and support with coordination of medications (NAD+, Rapamycin, Metformin, LDN, GLP-1a) and optimizing health, we are here for you. Not attempting an Advert here, just want interested folks to know that there are physicians like me keenly focused on assisting in this area.

Weight loss program

Age-performance

3 Likes

GLP-1 receptor agonists, in this case Ozempic are apparently effective against alcohol also. It’s something Eades is passing along. I don’t actually drink at all so can’t help him, but he’s got a question in there for those who do drink and also take GLP-1 agonists:

[The Arrow #114 - by Michael Eades - The Arrow]

Interesting…

1 Like

That explains Yacon syrup. Also understand beans, vegetables and whole grains since they have soluble fiber, which turns into SCFA. I don’t understand avocado,nuts or lean protein sources like eggs. I eat them, just don’t understand how they turn into SCFA.

I would think jerusalem artichokes, inulin, Yacon in any form and Acarbose would all do the trick.

2 Likes

The thing that may be anti-longevity is that

”Semaglutide also helps the pancreas produce insulin

Think we want increased insulin sensitivity (good) and all else equal avoid increased insulin production (bad) (outside of diseases where the pancreas does not produce enough insulin)

Wonder if increasing GLP-1 via food has the same impact on insulin?

—-

Btw the second part of piece of the article is interesting

” Some studies have shown GLP-1 levels, particularly after meals, are lower in people with obesity. This could be from reduced production of GLP-1 or increased breakdown. The receptors that detect it might also be less sensitive or there might be fewer receptors. This could be because of differences in the genes that code for GLP-1, the receptors or parts of the pathways that regulate production.”

Perhaps that provides targets for CRISPR or next gen gene editing, that could help us make calorie restriction easy…

Even if the article seems to think that we cannot modulate those genes for some reason:

”These genetic differences are things we can’t change.”

Well Hippocrates in this case was wrong- if you want your illness to worsen and take longer to recover (or worst case not recover) don’t eat while sick. You can google, but the only plus of not eating (fasting) when ill is that there is some evidence of a bit stronger immunity against the same illness but this could be related to the fact that one’s intensity of illness increased due to insufficient nutrition while sick. Feed a cold, eat healthily when sick or ill - it speeds up the healing process and is best practice. (I’ve been doing 15-30 day (or less) fasts for 30 years)

Old adage - when you’re older you can have your face or your body but not both. (This is less true now with hyaluronic acid and botox treatments).

1 Like

Hi @hunterama1, could you point to those studies?

Walter Longo’s research suggest that in key cases of being sick, including multiple autoimmune and cancers, fasting might help treatment/recovery.

See for example

https://www.valterlongo.com/cancer/

And

https://www.valterlongo.com/autoimmune-diseases/

The post I’m replying to infers fasting by desertshores when he had “not been feeling well for a few days” and the referenced Hippocrates quote of “To eat when you are sick, is to feed your illness” - this implied to me of illnesses such as a cold or flu and the like- not long term illnesses such as cancer to which you refer. “Sick” to my mind refers generally to well, being sick- cold, flu, and the like. So to this point- if that is what Hippocrates is referring then yes- Hippocrates was wrong- the updated quote should be “To eat when you are sick is to feed your immune system.” As to long term or terminal illnesses such as cancer - well I can see some benefit to fasting as fasting would, barring no cancer induced malfunction, suppress MTor and function similarly to rapamycin in this regard. But it seems in such a case, fasting should be done absolutely under a doctor’s supervision. In any case, here is a cited article pointing to the need to eat when one is sick per your request. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks, some of the references in there were interesting. (And there do seems to be pros and cons even in those short term cases).

Btw, might be that one should also think about how much one wants to be in ketosis during cloud/flu, etc:

”Another mouse study found that in animals exposed to an infectious virus, a fat-based (fasting) metabolism was detrimental to survival and a glucose-based (fed) metabolism was beneficial.2

From Reuters:

Diabetes drugs that also promote weight loss such as Novo Nordisk’s Ozempic, becoming a darling of celebrities and investors, are being studied to tackle some of the most difficult-to-treat brain disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease.

Diabetes regimens, from Ozempic to old mainstays like insulin and metformin, appear to address several different aspects of the metabolic system implicated in Alzheimer’s disease, including a protein called amyloid and inflammation, researchers say.

The hope is that improving glucose utilisation and tamping down inflammation in the entire body - including the brain - could slow progression of debilitating diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I have been taking semagalutide for about a year with a three-month break in between. I use it primarily to trim some fat off when my workouts are not enough. You will definitely lose weight on this medication but I do not think it is a game changer, at least for me, with glucose control. It did not lower those levels markedly. The first cycle of this medicine (first three months) caused considerable fatigue. It never really went away until my second cycle just recently. I inject the medicine once weekly with an insulin pen which you barely can feel. The generic semag is reasonably priced at around $100 a month without insurance. When on this medication, you may sometimes need to remind yourself to eat. Your body will forget (it hits the hunger receptor and signals to the body that your stomach is full). The most common side effect people report are gastro-intestinal problems, but I did not experience any of that, just fatigue. Good luck!

1 Like

When you stopped and started did you taper things down and then up again?