Intermittent (oral) Rybelsus / Semaglutide use in healthy individuals?

Interesting news on GLP-1 receptor agonists:

3 Likes

When I started back up, I went 1/2 the full dosage to start back (20mg). I did not start at the minimal dosage and ramp up. Since I did not have any big side effects (other than fatigue), and my body was used to the medication, I thought that was the best course of action for me. This protocol worked fine.

2 Likes

Diabetes and weight loss juggernaut Novo Nordisk has presented data from a phase 3 trial that show an oral version of its obesity drug Wegovy performs comparably to its original injected therapy.

In the study, patients who received a 50 mg daily dose of the treatment lost an average of 15.1% of their weight over 68 weeks, compared with a 2.4% average weight loss for those on placebo. The trial, dubbed OASIS I, enrolled 667 adults with one or more comorbidities and an average starting weight of 105.4 kilograms (232 pounds).

“The choice between a daily tablet or weekly injection for obesity has the potential to offer patients and healthcare providers the opportunity to choose which suits individual treatment preferences,” Martin Holst Lange, the company’s executive vice president of development, said in the company’s release.

1 Like

Are people not concerned about the warning of potential cancer on ozempic and rybelsus? Is there good reason to dismiss it?

Nope. The cancers are primary genetic in nature

1 Like

Can you point me to a source for that?

Read it in this article on lean mass and fat loss when using glp1 agonists

2 Likes

Oral is not working for me (everywhere in this thread where I said it worked, it was really placebo and did not curb my appetite [and I go through 5-6 lbs of vegetables/nut milks per day]). I’m thinking of jumping in and doing the injectable. How many doses per box?

Surprisingly, I lost weight at Zuzalu, but have rebound weight/appetite after coming back (tho what I ate in London may have contributed to the rebound).

1 Like

Something to be watching for if you are on a GLP-1 inhibitor:

1 Like

Nothing special here. Substantial weight loss for any reason will do the same thing.

4 Likes

I’ve achieved a moderate level of weight loss over the last 6 weeks by intermittent dosage. Here is my protocol:

• week 1: take 7mg Rybelsus every day, sometimes with metformim
  • weeks 2 to 6: take 7mg Rybelsus every other day.

I’ve lost 5 pounds so far. I’ve experienced appetite suppression and nausea, especially that first week. I feel full faster, and that happens sometimes on days when I’m off the medication. I eat more variety of food, but in smaller quantities because I get full so fast.

Side effects :

• elevated resting heart rate. Went from lows 50s to mid 50s
  • improved heart health shown by a réduction of pulse wave velocity. This has probably improved as a direct result of losing weight.

The cost for 30 pills was about 250, including shipping and handling.

2 Likes

I feel the same way about acarbose. However, I’ve only lost about 5 pounds in the first month and nothing in the second month.

I’ll take it though.

Hold the Ozempic before surgery, US doctors say

People taking popular diabetes and weight loss drugs such as Novo Nordisk’s (NOVOb.CO) Ozempic and Wegovy or Eli Lilly’s (LLY.N) Mounjaro should temporarily stop taking them before having elective surgery to avoid possible serious complications, the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) said on Thursday.

The group has received anecdotal reports from across the country that patients taking the drugs may be at increased risk of vomiting and aspirating food into the lungs and airways during general anesthesia or deep sedation, Dr. Michael Champeau, president of the ASA, said in an interview.

3 Likes

Amy K, if you uncover any research on this—non obese, non-diabetics taking a GLP-1a for longevity purposes, please share.

2 Likes

I think that for now, we have a few diabetic drugs that have shown a positive impact on lifespan - Acarbose, Canagliflozin, Empagliflozin, etc… GLP-1 drugs will probably increase the lifespan of the obese and overweight, but if you aren’t overweight, Acarbose or a *flozin drug may be your best option.

“So the fattest country on the list charges 10x what the skinny countries charge for Ozempic and wegovy?”

https://twitter.com/bgurley/status/1692662383552970969?s=20

1 Like

Supply and demand, I suppose.
I live in a Scandinavian country and I rarely see an obese person.
Novo Nordisk who make Semaglutide is literally half of the Danish stock market. A bit odd. Denmark has also outperformed the U.S stock market compared to the E.U as a whole that has underperformed the last 10 years. The outperformance started recently.

https://twitter.com/AviBittMD/status/1695652175379087405

It’s such shame Peter Attia is literally invited to MSM to talk about how bad Ozempic is from his anecdotes.

Meanwhile the obesity epidemic is never going to be solved in any other way.

1 Like

I tend to agree with you - it seems from what I know about the GLP-1 agonists, that we have a chance to seriously dent the obesity epidemic in the US and elsewhere.

At the same time - all the clinical trials that these drugs are approved from, are all relatively short trials for a drug that may need to be used for many years, or decades, (the semaglutide clinical trial was just over a year long).

So we have quickly passed the period at which we have good data on the side effects. I’m just saying this because we obviously don’t have good data on the longer term side effects, so a little caution is justified. I think the FDA needs to force longer term phase 4 clinical trials on these types of blockbuster drugs that will be used by millions for many years… so we have better data on long-term outcomes and side effect, to base decisions on.

1 Like