Intermittent (oral) Rybelsus / Semaglutide use in healthy individuals?

Just a proxy for calorie restriction

2 Likes

Iā€™m still trying to find some good estimates on what the optimal body fat is for lowest all cause mortality riskā€¦

Some papers Iā€™ve found:

Overall findings were not consistent but suggested that fat mass and lean body mass may play an independent role on mortality in the general population. Various shapes of the associations were observed, but studies generally suggested that high fat mass was associated with increased risk of mortality (especially higher range of fat mass) and low lean body mass was associated with increased risk of mortality (especially lower range of lean body mass).

Discussion: Our findings suggest that BMI represents joint but opposite associations of body fat and FFM with mortality. Both high body fat and low FFM are independent predictors of all-cause mortality.

3 Likes

@RapAdmin Thanks for doing that. I was looking for it myself and couldnā€™t find it. All the studies Iā€™ve seen use BMI, which is a crude measure as it does not distinguish fat and muscle. I guess it would be very expensive to do Dexa on participants in large studies, whereas BMI is easy to obtain.

My guess is that the optimal body fat % for men is low teens and for women is low 20s. Just as a reference, Michael Lustgartenā€™s body fat % is in the low teens (I asked him). I noticed that he slowly reduced his calorie intake and weight in recent years (he also does weight training) to optimize his biomarkers and he has landed on low teens.

Yes, as the studies show, the best thing for health is to keep fat mass low and muscle mass high.

By the way, @AlexKChenā€™s target body fat % (5-7%) is extreme in my opinion. He is a proponent of castration - eunuchs do live longer - and reducing body fat % from 10% (where he is now) to 5-7% is pretty close to castration without actually doing it.

Hereā€™s Dr. Ted Naimanā€™s take on optimal body fat %:

3 Likes

@AlexKChen sorry if you mentioned, but you are taking oral Semaglutide? And 7mg each day is your target dose? Could I ask how it is working for you now?

Have you found a solution to binging on nuts? I have the same problem.

Right now i make sure i only buy packets like 75g or 100g at a time. I wish they came in even smaller sizes. Sigh.

Not eat them.

Kachhela offers $4/14mg tablet, better than dachpct at $7/14mg tablet. This makes it cost-effective b/c you also reduce your food costs by significantly cutting your appetite.

I took a 14mg tablet today. I think these are great for inducing intermittent fasting or restricted-window-feeding. I do end up eating a lot at end of day anyways (beans+catalina crunch+blueberries) but I donā€™t feel the need to binge on more nut milks or vegetables to fill up.

1 Like

No, Iā€™ve not used oral semaglutide myself or with patients.

1 Like

What happens when you stop taking Semaglutide? It seems 75% of the weight lost comes back.

1 Like

Yes, but when you think about it, thatā€™s the case with every weight loss treatment across the spectrum (diet changes, exercise, supplements, meds, literally everything except surgery). If/when you stop and revert back to what you were or werenā€™t doing before, the weight comes back.

2 Likes

From what I understand, the reason why itā€™s easier to re-gain weight so fast is that initial weight loss is from fat cells first shrinking - and theyā€™re ready to swell up if you even look at those cookies. The longer the weight stays off, the more fat cells will down-regulate. My cardiologist mentioned 9 months IIRC.

2 Likes
1 Like

Wow - this semaglutide trend has really taken offā€¦

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

Even Michael Eades is talking about it:

He likes to chat for awhile about this and that before getting to it. Scroll down to ā€œWeight-loss Drugs or Low-Carb Dietā€ or something like that. He really is good at talking to people that are not technically oriented. I think I finally understand the GLP 1 now. For anybody that wants to hit it from another direction. Eades uses his own brain, Iā€™ll give him full credit for that.

1 Like

He talks again about Wegovy and a tuber that actually makes you lose weight faster, while being delicious. Yacon.

Of course I find it interesting because during the blizzard and extreme cold here Iā€™m spending my time thinking about what I should plant next year. Iā€™m going for it.

I intend that link to take you to the bottom 2/3 of the story where he talks about Wegovy in a jar.

2 Likes

But itā€™s becoming increasingly clear that people in the UK - including those who arenā€™t obese - are paying to access the medication under any brand name online. This includes a friend of mine - slightly overweight, thanks to a more sedentary pandemic lifestyle - who was able to order Rybelsus tablets, Ā£300 for three months, by tweaking their details on the form so their BMI fell into the obese range. They have lost two stone in a year and are now continuing to take it for ā€˜maintenanceā€™.

It was the ease of access to Ozempic that also shocked Isobel, who also wasnā€™t obese. ā€˜I couldnā€™t believe that there wasnā€™t even a Zoom, phone or face-to-face consultation before they dispensed it,ā€™ she admits. So, whatā€™s going on? ā€˜They are being issued ā€œoff labelā€ to treat obesity,ā€™ explains Abbas Kanani, superintendent pharmacist at Chemist Click UK

A class of drugs that quash hunger have shown striking results in trials and in practice. But can they help all people with obesity ā€” and conquer weight stigma?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-04505-7

June 2021, several months before I started Ozempic, using the spreadsheet calculator that Iā€™ve seen linked elsewhere on the forum, my phenotypic age was 28 (actual age at that time was 30).

September 2022, 11 months after starting Ozempic, my phenotypic age was 21.8 (actual age 32).

2 Likes