Inflammation drives impairment of hematopoietic stem cell self-renewal and accelerated aging

Thanks for asking about hawthorn berry extract.
Sometimes I have been taking a supplement for so long that I forget why I am taking it. It made me take a look at Google Scholar to see why I originally started taking it. BTW, I recently switched to Bob’s Red Mill Oat Bran Cereal for the higher fiber content. Surprisingly, I think it tastes better than regular oatmeal.

It has been used for centuries as herbal medicine by many cultures much like ashwagandha and Rhodiola. Supposedly it has many heart, liver, and hypertension benefits. Does it work? I don’t know because I take many supplements and I feel very good.

Hopefully, it’s helping. It is a relatively cheap supplement. I get mine in powder form from Bulk Supplements. It comes in a pouch with a measuring scoop and I keep it on the kitchen counter so I remember to use it. It tastes pretty much like you would expect a dried semi-sour berry to taste. I usually only use it mixed with my oatmeal bran cereal, but after today’s dive into Google Scholar, I think I will also add it to my protein shakes.

Hawthorn (Crataegus spp.) in the treatment of cardiovascular disease

The medicinal use of hawthorn in CVD is prevalent in most cultures. Direct comparisons between the phytochemical profiles of these species used worldwide have not been undertaken, although indigenous use would indicate a high degree of confluence.

This review revealed that the hawthorn extracts possess serum lipid-lowering, anti-oxidative, and cardiovascular protective properties

Various parts of this herb, including the berries, flowers, and leaves, are rich in nutrients and beneficial bioactive compounds. Its chemical composition has been reported to have many health benefits, including medicinal and nutraceutical properties.

This systematic review found that hawthorn can significantly lower BP in people with mild hypertension if applied for at least 12 weeks. Further trials are suggested to confirm the longer-term, hypotensive effects of hawthorn preparations.

Hawthorn flowers, berries and leaves contain a range of bioactive constituents with flavonoids (e.g. vitexin, hyperoside, and rutin) and catechin/epicatechin derived oligomeric procyanidins being the most important.

“Specifically, hawthorn possesses a wide range of biological actions relevant to the treatment of toxic hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Accordingly, hawthorn extracts can be developed as a major source of therapeutic agents for liver diseases.”

1 Like

Very interesting stuff. Thanks.

Oh man, my middle daughter started and brought me some of these last year to grow and I failed. I didn’t know they were so nutritious or I would have put in a little more effort. My problem is that (though I love to grow things) gardening takes place during the time of year that I’m in the field full time. So I can’t always make it work, but I will try again. Also, I’ll read a little more since I thought they were an annual.

Thanks for the pointer desertshores! I followed you down the rabbit hole and am now on methylene blue 56 mg compounded into capsules twice daily. I think I see clear improvements in my cognition after 3 months.

I am 67 years old and have been studying daily for the top level of the Japanese Language Proficiency test for years with extremely slow progress. I have failed the test 8 times so far and it’s frustrating!:grimacing:. However, this week I passed a trial test for the first time. I still have work to do to pass the real test. But, I am clearly moving forward.

I also started Ramamycin 8 months ago.

I love this forum. Thanks to you all!

5 Likes

Hey @desertshores you still playing with MB? I ordered some to try out. Could use some cognitive help. Feel a little brainy foggy.

1 Like

Yes, I am still using methylene blue for its many benefits including anti-viral qualities.
As for helping brain fog, everyone’s different. Won’t hurt to try it.

2 Likes

Got mine today. @desertshores recommended dose is 1ml. 20 drops. Is it okay to start with that in your opinion?

Yes, that is the dosage I use. 20 drops = 1 ml on the dropper.

1 Like

FWIW I am really digging Methylene Blue. This has easily jumped to top 10 if not top 5 of my stack. I feel better, mind sharper, energy etc. @desertshores i have read some suggest taking two days off a week and a break for a week every 8 weeks or so. Do you do this?

2 Likes

I have an ATP boosting stack which includes MB. I cycle this. So far my maximum is 8 days.

3 Likes

Yes, but the promoters on YouTube, etc. seem to suggest every day.

2 Likes

After some reading and listening to podcasts I added a couple of things to improve Methylene Blue’s effectiveness. 1/ Asorbic Acid (aka Vit C) taken at time of MB, increases absorption. 2/ Red light therapy after dose. Apparently they are synergistic. So, I tried the two modifications this morning. Whoa. I felt like I had a double espresso in terms of energy. I am not sure it is possible to feel your ATP buzzing but it sure felt like it. I’ll
try again tomorrow and see if I acclimatize.

4 Likes

What dose did you use?

I was taking Methylene blue for over a year. The last couple of months were at 200 mg daily. Not sure if it was just the MB, but I had some stomach issues and vomited blue a couple of times.

Anyhow, I have been off it for a little over a month and will probably start back at a lower daily dosage soon. The stomach issues have resolved.

I recently read that taking vitamin C with your MB will keep your urine from being blue. It’s supposed to promote conversion to the colorless reduced form (leucomethene blue) Has anyone else heard this?

Update: I just tried MB with VitC 500mg (twice daily)and it was only partially effective at reducing the urine color.

I used 1 ml 20 drops

Paul Moss, I’m sure you’ve investigated the point at which methylene blue changes from being beneficial to being dangerously harmful. My research, limited as it may be, mentioned the very safest range was no more than 1 mg per kg of body weight. If you have more data on the safe upper limit I would like to hear it. For me, I found no benefit after three trials. So, I don’t use it any more.

Mixing vitamin C powder with liquid methylene blue will convert it to leucomethylene blue which is clear. Stir and let it sit for a while for this to take place. It doesn’t take much vitamin C, but it does take a bit of experimentation to get the right mixture. The benefit is less of a blue tongue, otherwise probably no benefit. No, it will not keep urine from being blue.

This link may be useful if you have not already seen it: Dosing with Methylene Blue

You’ve likely seen this excellent summary, but if not here it is: https://www.alzdiscovery.org/uploads/cognitive_vitality_media/Methylene-Blue-Cognitive-Vitality-For-Researchers.pdf

1 Like

Urine colour depends upon urine pH. I say this from my personal experience whilst taking MB (which I am not at the moment - but the reason for that is cycling not that I won’t take it in the future).

I think it is clearly something where under 1mg/kg is sensible. I am going for 0.5mg/kg

Thank you for your recommendation. When I researched the dosage range for Methylene Blue, I found a dosage range that was quite broad. 200mg was the upper end of the range that I found. And I stayed well below that for several months. Then I finally decided to try what I read to be the upper end of the dosage range.

Now, from personal experience, I think that your upper dosage of 1mg per kg seems to be more reasonable, despite what I read. Fortunately, there weren’t any serious negative effects other than an amazing blue mess in and on the toilet bowl. And fortunately, it wasn’t in view of anyone either. Lol
Thank you for the links too, Jay

I tried MB again last night with Vitamin C. While my urine color was a lighter shade of aqua, it was still colored.

1 Like

Urine mb colour depends on urine ph

3 Likes

I’m doing a podcast episode on methylene blue with Dr Scott Sherr. Send questions.

I’ve heard him speculate that the urine color might be a way to titrate dosing. Bright blue urine = too much MB. No blue in urine = too little. Target a light blue (or green) urine.

He also thinks very low doses are best for everyday (actually 5 days a week) usage. 8-16mg. But situations vary…lots of stress, poor sleep, illness, etc? Use more.

5 Likes